Marooned Marine HF Antenna

Albert

Jaimie from Road Trip America suggested a few forums that might get me out of a pickle.

I have a marine antenna that is packed inside a tube, that is located at:
Pompano Beach, Florida 33069

This tube is 4" x 4" x 13'11" long and weighs 12 lbs.

I need it shipped to; 
Tucson, AZ 85719
Both addresses are businesses.  

Because the Tube is overlength UPS etc, refuse it. I am willing to pay $150, but anymore I might as well buy a new one that includes shipping. This would be an easy fit to tie down on the roof of an RV heading from Florida through or to Arizona.

You can try uship.com as a source. 

or read this discussion

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/best-least-expensive-way-to-pack-ship-antenna-tubing.512834/

It seems that the standard size is five feet long (aka 60 inches long) for any maximum ship box. . 

If the bending radius can sustain a tip to tip shape, without staying that way, you can ship it in a 4.5 foot diameter box.  14 feet x 12 = 168 inches.  168 inches circumference is   about 4.5 feet diameter. try that or consider buying something else.  Maybe you can do a tighter circumference circle for the shipping and smaller box.

Looking at Shakespeare 393 SSB marine antenna for $220 on ebay new including shipping anywhere in the USA.  Would suggest selling your existing one in florida on ebay/craigslist/facebook via a local ebay store that sells for people. 

Thanks for the suggestions. The longest section is very rigid for being on a boat and can't be bent.

I tried Uship and the lowest price was over $1100. I might just lose the the price of the antenna and go the 3 section route, as it will be considerably cheaper for shipping.  I just tried a kick at the can that an RVer might be heading west and do it for a tank of gas.

Have you checked with any of the major LTL trucking companies? The antenna manufacturer must ship them to dealers somehow.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 8 months later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did get it shipped but was broke when it arrived. The problem was is I had it shipped to a friends place and he didn't check it when it arrived, and I picked it up a month later, and so it was on me.

Archived