McCall Hitch Shock Question

Grassy

I have the one with only 2 bags at the rear. I just picked it up. Going to tear it down, check all the welds and have it powdercoated. Putting new bags and shocks on it. Id like to replace the head for a newer style with thicker jaws. Hard to find much info on these anywhere on the web.

Screenshot_20200829-190515_Gallery.jpg

I can tell you it predates approximately ‘99 to ‘00. We added 2 more gussets to the bag plate around that time, and the swing arm tubes would be 3/16” tube vs 1/4” tube on the updated version. You can see the additional gussets in the image Phoenix2013 posted on the first page of the thread. If my memory serves me right we also extended the bag plate an additional 1” as the bottom 2”x2” angle behind the bags would occasionally rub the bags and the newer extended one was one piece and bent to the 90 vs a plate and angle iron.

I can’t tell from the pic, the hinges were also taller. 6” from base plate to the top. 4” wide at the base for the 3” wide at the top and the pin hole centerline’d 1” down. The 1”x2” hinge bar was the same except taller. It made a big difference in the performance as it relates to surging when driving down certain roads. That surging was what inspired the 4 bag hitch. 

Edited by MarcMcCall

Thank you Marc for the info. I was debating on building my own. A buddy of mine bought a truck that had this on it. He only pulls goosenecks so he gave it to me. I want to upgrade the hitch head. Think I will order one and fab it up to mount to this set up. If I dont like how it pulls,  I will just fabricate one from scratch. 

• 9 months later...

Late to the party, but how much would you guys think is a good asking price for an original McCall Air Ride? I have one that I'm looking to sell, and this is the only legit info I've found on it. Thank you, by the way, for your contributions. Your depth of knowledge was truly enjoyable!

41 minutes ago, Disqo said:

Late to the party, but how much would you guys think is a good asking price for an original McCall Air Ride? I have one that I'm looking to sell, and this is the only legit info I've found on it. Thank you, by the way, for your contributions. Your depth of knowledge was truly enjoyable!

Hi Disqo,

I believe we sold them new in the $2500-$3200 price range when we upgraded to the 6” hinge risers, thinker swing arm rubes and more reinforcement and quick head you bought with it. Either the lighter duty Reese or heavier Binkley. Depending on conditions I think you could get in the $1000-$1500 range. Opinions may vary. 

Edited by MarcMcCall