Engine Brake Volvo D12

SuiteSuccess

Is there a way to check if the engine brake system is working properly on a Volvo D12 without driving a grade?  The D12 has an exhaust brake which is the first setting on the switch and the second is for compression brake. It is not a three stage “Jake” like some of you guys have. 

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Mine works and i know if it's on. Pulls back very noticeable. Don't have to have load or on grade. Mine is 2 settings. 

Glen,

Normally on 6-7% grade mine will easily stay within 5 mph of cruise setting coming down. Noticed today coming down 7% grade in Carolinas I was getting up to 10mph over set speed and accelerating. Had to take off cruise and tap in service brakes to stay where I wanted.  Could have down shifted but wasn’t that long a grade. Can’t explain it, just felt “different “ than normal. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl

The exhaust brake you should really be able to feel in the lower gears.  As you are slowing down flip the switch on and off, if no difference it is not working.   Mine went out a few years ago and it turned out to be the air valve exhaust pressure governor (I think that is the right name).  Very pricey the better part of a thousand dollars at the dealer about half that on eBay.  The dealer has the ability to cycle it with their scan tools.  I don’t know if your independent garage can check it as easily but ask anyway.  

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Accidentally left mine on and bobtailed across town. It pure jerked me to stop. Yes, sounds like you have a problem. But, I towed 150 miles yesterday without it on. Raining and thought it would be better. Stopped just fine. But no hills to amount to anything.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If you start the truck with low air in the tanks, you should also hear the exhaust brake come on as air pressure builds after you start the engine. The Volvos use the exhaust brake to help the engine warm up faster (and stay warm at idle).

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

As a side note too, I just found out that if you take off too soon in your truck before it gets up to temp you will get an "Engine temp too low" error on the dash.  Not too sure how these exhaust brakes work, but apparently they don't like cold engines.

NOTE: I do pretty much always warm my truck up.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

Well simple sometimes best. Turns out was loose connection on switch. Must have hit it when I was behind panel few weeks ago. All is well.  Wonder if shop would have just thrown $1k of parts at it saying it was the shutter?  Thanks for the help. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I seem to be finding more and more that a slim majority of truck repair shops seem to be directly connected from our bank account to the shop account. This is even more prevalent at the badged dealer's repair facility. If you hear the phrase "We have to take the Contract and Professional trucks first", you should run for the nearest exit and do not look back.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

• 1 year later...
On 6/17/2018 at 10:02 PM, Nigel said:

Mine went out a few years ago and it turned out to be the air valve exhaust pressure governor (I think that is the right name).  Very pricey the better part of a thousand dollars at the dealer about half that on eBay.  The dealer has the ability to cycle it with their scan tools.  I don’t know if your independent garage can check it as easily but ask anyway.  

Nigel

Just curious if you had a decrease in regular driving performance when yours went out?

Thanks, that helps me narrow down the problem because I'm way down on power and can't even pull a trailer. I replaced the EGR that was throwing a code with no difference and just changed the boost sensor. Today I'll take it for a test drive and hopefully it's fixed but gathering knowledge just in case... I've sprayed all the boots looking for leaks but may need to check them again if this doesn't work

On 6/8/2020 at 12:56 PM, Nigel said:

I know there is a shutter in there and maybe it could restrict flow if it fails internally.  I don’t know just didn’t happen to me.

Chased it down all this week and figured out it's a bad air filter (I'm finding the previous owner's maintenance records to be.....inaccurate)  and a partially open EPG shutter. Instead of the shutter closing all the way, it's stuck partially open and I can hear the turbo buffeting/chattering as it works against itself. I'm going to open it up tomorrow, clean it, and see if I can clean the piston and get it to close all the way. 

Edited by Black

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies Cotreker, I hate when people do that and now I've gone and done it myself.

Anyway, I attempted to open up the EPG but the bolts were pretty rusted and because I had a trip coming up, I decided to wait until I got there and then would look into it further. My plan is to remove the entire housing and get a good look at it. In the meantime, I put a plug in the airline so that it can't be activated whether on purpose or when the truck is warming up. I still get turbo flutter and my mpgs seem dismal (5 mpg at 66k lbs) so I'm looking forward to getting the EPG working again.

I thought about doing away with it but the extra braking feature was definitely missed on this last trip so I'll be inspecting, hopefully fixing, and if too far gone, replacing.