Mobley Sim

A couple of months ago there was info that ATT was clamping down on Mobley owners that put the Mobley Sim in a more capable hot spot.  Did anything ever come to pass in that regard?  Are many/most folks still using their Mobley Sim in another hotspot?  Thanks

I haven't seen any reports on the cell forums I follow of AT&T taking any action against Mobley SIM swaps except for a couple of reports from folks that used them in phones instead of hotspots. I inquired at AT&T about using the SIM in a Unite hotspot and was told as long as a hotspot was used it fell within the TOS.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We pulled ours from our explores for awhile but after reports from Dutch and Jack, with regard to communiques with ATT, and no adverse reports on the cellular forum... we moved them back last week and have had no issues.

I really missed my Unite explore. 😉

I never did pull mine from my Unite. I did talk to ATT, for what it is worth, and I did carefully examine terms of service. Neither were negative on using the sim in a different HOTSPOT. But clearly, you cannot use it in a phone. I've been using it in the Unite all along. No issues to date.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks folks.  I pulled mine based on the original "caution."   I noticed when the SIM is in my Unite, it's also listed on my Online ATT account page as the device.  Planning on an extended trip this summer and would rather use the Unite.  Based on your comments, I will.  Thanks   Bob

4 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Are you talking about Roger Mobley, who played Packy on Fury?

LOL , the only thing that would show up if you searched "Roger Mobley" on this site would be your question and this answer . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

3 hours ago, the ol farm boy said:

Will some one please tell what you all talking about?

The "Mobley" is a specialty hotspot available from AT&T that's normally powered by the on-board diagnostics port installed in most vehicles since 1996. It became quite popular with some RV'ers when AT&T offered a limited time deal for an unlimited 4G/LTE plan priced at $20/mo called the "Connected Car Plan". There are several ways available to power the Mobley besides the diagnostics port, and the Mobley's SIM can also be installed in another AT&T capable hotspot. That's what this thread is discussing, since there were some apparently unfounded rumors that AT&T was cracking down on moving the SIM out of the Mobley.

Dutch

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

When using a mobley normally,  if it is on but you don't have a device/computer connected is the mobley still using bandwith? or time or what ever I should call it?

No. There is no data transferred once the initial connection to the cell system is made until a device connects to the Mobley and begins communicating with Internet services.

Dutch

10 hours ago, usnlt said:

Thanks folks.  I pulled mine based on the original "caution."   I noticed when the SIM is in my Unite, it's also listed on my Online ATT account page as the device.  Planning on an extended trip this summer and would rather use the Unite.  Based on your comments, I will.  Thanks   Bob

Keep us updated.  The concern was that ATT can see what device it is installed in.  I also have an Explorer 815 and moved the sim back on these rumors.  I just do not want to lose my 20 plan.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Archived