Rust Epidemic heading north

runaway parents

RP   I don't know where you are but I would ck the used truck yards. Are You close to Richmond Va. or Roanoke Va? Best I can Do!  Good luck There is one out there with your name on it. You just have to find it.   Pat

The Old Sailor

Last year I had one break on our Mack.  Of course, I had just filled the tanks.

I got a new set, as they were all the same age so why replace one just to have another fail shortly?  In removing the straps and cleaning the old isolator padding off the tanks, I found a leak in one tank.  Had to drain it and take it to the welding shop for a patch.  

The fun just never ends...............

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

While prepping our truck for POR-15, we found a broken tank strap and replaced it.

For a new one, we found the best price to be the dealer at 157.00.

you need to assess the rubber welting to determine whether it can be reused.  New welting is not cheap.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

And VegasTeacher can probably hook you up with the mechanic......lol

By the time you wrestle the strap around under your truck, you will wish you hired the guy....It was like wrestling a fat girl for the last piece of pizza..

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I had one that rusted through several years ago. So I rebuilt that side under the fiberglass . Removed one strap at a time. Welded a repair on the old stap. The bottom foot support was rusted away. Made one out of 1/4" angle iron. Made sure all other brackets, braces and such were in good shape cleaned ,treated and painted.

Not a fun job.

While I had it apart the fiberglass panels were repair and painted.

Sorta fun to do, . But looks much better.

So I may take the drivers side apart this summer

Safe Travel,.   Vern

3 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

And VegasTeacher can probably hook you up with the mechanic......lol

By the time you wrestle the strap around under your truck, you will wish you hired the guy....It was like wrestling a fat girl for the last piece of pizza..

Yep your right demo was the worst  part lots of rusted bolts.Tthink I got lucky only broke off one bolt.

5 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

While prepping our truck for POR-15, we found a broken tank strap and replaced it.

For a new one, we found the best price to be the dealer at 157.00.

you need to assess the rubber welting to determine whether it can be reused.  New welting is not cheap.

Good used tire carcass could be used for welting, I imagine.  They litter the highway's, stop and pick some up.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

10 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Good used tire carcass could be used for welting, I imagine.  They litter the highway's, stop and pick some up.

I would classify that idea as,”looks good on paper”. The straps come straight and tend to like it that way.  As you wrestle it around the tank, between the mounting brackets for fairings, etc, the last thing you will need to deal with, would be pieces of tire tread.

If you are careful taking off the old welting and clean it up, it can be reattached to the new strap and raps around the edges and stays in place.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Found a tank strap in Spokane yesterday morning at spaldings auto wrecking  heavy truck division. Went out side to see DW off to work at 5:30 this morning. Found new used part sitting in drive way next to the truck. This thing traveled 150 miles in less than 24 hours . They not only sent me the strap they sent me every thing from the frame out bolts  pins rubber insulator mounting brackets for faring and steps Do not recall putting over night shipping on this. But I am definitely not complaining. Way to go Spaldings.

6 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

I would classify that idea as,”looks good on paper”. The straps come straight and tend to like it that way.  As you wrestle it around the tank, between the mounting brackets for fairings, etc, the last thing you will need to deal with, would be pieces of tire tread.

If you are careful taking off the old welting and clean it up, it can be reattached to the new strap and raps around the edges and stays in place.

Never mind the stress that fuel sloshing around in the tank causes. Plain rubber is only a temporary fix. The real rubber locks on the straps for a reason. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

7 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

I personally use my old bicycle tires from my road bike and mountain bike for abrasion resistance needs.  The tires I use have Kevlar beads and are very durable, and look like the rubber used under the straps of the tanks. Oh and they are already round, with a safety bead to keep them in place:).

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

What? A Canadian without wrinkled tank rubbers? ;)

So anyways what happens when a strap on a hanging tank like this breaks?  Do you have to jack the tank back into place?  Does it bend up the other strap?  Does it just bolt back in or is it a major pain?  Tank doesn't get worn or punctured?  Kind of sounds like a non-event if your pre-trip catches it?

We've sold against hanging tank trucks for so long that by now I figured a broken strap would be an Atomic Fireball with some Valdez Jr on the side...

I usta spec 7” wide hanging style quite a bit to reduce wear on the bottom of tanks from gravel striking the tank bracket style mounts when people don’t install or maintain “stone protection” aka mud flaps. Like lotsa stuff on KW’s can’t remember one of them breaking. Once in a while a roller skate car would vector into someone’s fuel tank and straps would go out of parts dept for accident repair.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 hours ago, Scrap said:

What? A Canadian without wrinkled tank rubbers? ;)

So anyways what happens when a strap on a hanging tank like this breaks?  Do you have to jack the tank back into place?  Does it bend up the other strap?  Does it just bolt back in or is it a major pain?  Tank doesn't get worn or punctured?  Kind of sounds like a non-event if your pre-trip catches it?

We've sold against hanging tank trucks for so long that by now I figured a broken strap would be an Atomic Fireball with some Valdez Jr on the side...

Well any way when tank strap broke not much happened with the tank. There is two other straps on this tank . There was very little movement at all. But the faring steps and cat walk is attached to this strap they all  moved. Installed new strap.  Every thing pulled back together. No jacking involved. The reason it broke it was rusted threw up underneath the cat walk. Pre trip would not have caught it unless cat walk was removed. As far as being a pain fixing broke bolts rethreading  removing rusted bolts all take time

Archived