Trip From Hermosa SD to Ft. Collins CO

SuiteSuccess

Big summer trip is Knoxville TN to Mt. Rushmore then down to Cheyenne WY and on to Ft. Collins CO.   Any tips for the best southern route?  Looks like 79, 18, 85 then to I25.  Or maybe 79, 18, over to I25?  Don’t mind seeing some countryside.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Take 65 south to Cheyenne then I-25 to Ft. CollinsAlternate: 

One rout would be I-80 to Gillette then 59 to Torrington then I-25 to Ft. Collins.

Alternate: 65 to Cheyenne then I-25 to Ft. Collins

ShortyO

ShortyO

Shorty,

I don’t see a 65.  See 85.  Thanks for the help. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We always went Rapid, down to hot springs, over to 85.  Decent rest stop at mule Creek junction.  Head toward lusk, dont speed, they will get you!  Out of lusk, head West toward I 25, another nice rest stop at I 25 / Orin Jct and a small truck stop.  Good roads all the way.  My wife's family was out of Sturgis/ Rapid areas.  Love the black hills.  Don't miss Custer state park,  wind cave was was always a joy as well.  Traffic from ft Collins to Denver is crazy anymore. Haven't been there for an few years, not much family left there.  My wife's grandfather was the only gas station in Sturgis when the rally started.  He always said it was a few guys with sack lunches that started it all, on Indian motorcycles.  Lots of stories from Grandpa George, God rest his sole. Enjoy the trip.

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Big summer trip is Knoxville TN to Mt. Rushmore then down to Cheyenne WY and on to Ft. Collins CO.   Any tips for the best southern route?  Looks like 79, 18, 85 then to I25.  Or maybe 79, 18, over to I25?  Don’t mind seeing some countryside.

If you like countryside travel, then avoid I-25 as much as possible. With your rig, all of the above are viable options & easily maneuverable. When you cross over into Eastern Wyoming from SD most everything is prairie grass & sage...a silent beauty, but pretty plain. Winds are common & brutal in WY, so watch the weather forecast for such. If in the forecast...don't attempt entry.

My personal choice, would be to continue straight south on 79 until it turns into 385 going into Nebraska. It intersects with 20...about 2 miles west of Chadron. West into Lusk, Wy.  85 south from there until it merges with I-25 southbound just north of Cheyenne. Get a taste of I-25 for a spell. If you like it & are comfortable, then continue south to Fort Collins.

However, if adventurous, have time, & want a teaser of what Colorado & Wyo really have to offer on a micro scale...then I'd suggest a detour west from Cheyenne on 80 to Laramie. South on 287 from there to Ft Collins. A bit out of the way but well worth it.

Cheers,

Dean

Are you in Fort Collins for a stay?  I live in the mountains NW of there......are you then headed south towards Denver?

Mark

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

Thanks everyone.  

Mark, just exploring the area.  Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse have always been on our bucket list.  Gonna be in Ft. Collins for couple of days.  Gonna spend one around Cheyenne.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl,

Fort Collins would make a good base camp for some exploring.  A day driving up Thompson Canyon to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain NP are certainly high on the list.  The drive up Poudre Canyon is nice too.

We get out there occasionally, as Susan's sister lives between Livermore and Red Feather Lakes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

33 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Carl,

Fort Collins would make a good base camp for some exploring.  A day driving up Thompson Canyon to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain NP are certainly high on the list.  The drive up Poudre Canyon is nice too.

We get out there occasionally, as Susan's sister lives between Livermore and Red Feather Lakes.

Rick,

Staying in Hermosa as base for first part of trip to take in SD and WY then south to Ft. Collins for few days to catch Cheyenne and CO then back East. Gonna save Montana and Yellowstone for another trip. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 hours ago, Fire guy said:

We always went Rapid, down to hot springs, over to 85.  Decent rest stop at mule Creek junction.  Head toward lusk, dont speed, they will get you!  Out of lusk, head West toward I 25, another nice rest stop at I 25 / Orin Jct and a small truck stop.  Good roads all the way.  My wife's family was out of Sturgis/ Rapid areas.  Love the black hills.  Don't miss Custer state park,  wind cave was was always a joy as well.  Traffic from ft Collins to Denver is crazy anymore. Haven't been there for an few years, not much family left there.  My wife's grandfather was the only gas station in Sturgis when the rally started.  He always said it was a few guys with sack lunches that started it all, on Indian motorcycles.  Lots of stories from Grandpa George, God rest his sole. Enjoy the trip.

Looks like the best way. Any steep hills I need to be aware of?  Thanks, those rest stops will be just what momma ordered. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

15 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Looks like the best way. Any steep hills I need to be aware of?  Thanks, those rest stops will be just what momma ordered. 

Just west of hot springs but nothing I would worry about but I live in Western Colorado so my idea of a steep hill is probably a little different than most.

I live in East Tn so hill is 4-5% grade.  Mountain is 6-7%.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

7 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Why are you worried about steep hills?  Boy if a 6% hill is a problem better stay on your side of the big river...!

Oh not worried. Just like to know the territory.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

If the grandkids are interested in trains a stop in North Platte, NE with a  visit to the Golden Spike Tower should be included on the way to S.D. . From there a detour to Gillette, WY an south on 59 to Douglass would allow 75 miles of almost constant coal train watching.

ShortyO

15 minutes ago, wtgeodog said:

If the grandkids are interested in trains a stop in North Platte, NE with a  visit to the Golden Spike Tower should be included on the way to S.D. . From there a detour to Gillette, WY an south on 59 to Douglass would allow 75 miles of almost constant coal train watching.

ShortyO

Shorty,

This trip is no grandkids.  We want to relax and enjoy.😊

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

13 hours ago, Fire guy said:

Just west of hot springs but nothing I would worry about but I live in Western Colorado so my idea of a steep hill is probably a little different than most.

I concur...given the above info prolly the best route for you.

Fire Guy...I can relate...Rabbit Ears, Loveland, Berthoud, Monarch, Wolf Creek, 550 from Ouray to Durango, the Blues between Montrose & Gunnison, McClure & many more... in a gas tanker over the years. Based out of Steamboat for a spell. From where do you call home? Western Colo has no limits in regards to beauty & demands...just curious.

Cheers,

Dean

7 hours ago, Gramps & Noni said:

I concur...given the above info prolly the best route for you.

Fire Guy...I can relate...Rabbit Ears, Loveland, Berthoud, Monarch, Wolf Creek, 550 from Ouray to Durango, the Blues between Montrose & Gunnison, McClure & many more... in a gas tanker over the years. Based out of Steamboat for a spell. From where do you call home? Western Colo has no limits in regards to beauty & demands...just curious.

Cheers,

Dean

Been in Montrose for a bit over 10 years.  

On 5/30/2018 at 9:54 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

Like Fire Guy said above The hill out of Hot Springs is a pretty good climb but it has a passing lane as most of the West roads do. I lived in Hot Springs for 25 years so have a pretty good idea of the area. One of the routes that I used to take for a little mix and some scenic views is the same route as Fireguy put up but west out of Lusk I always liked to turn South on 270 out of Manville towards Guernsey then West very nice drive get into pines much like the Black Hills down there and hardly any traffic no cell phone service maybe one radio channel if you need to know what the cattle markets are doing for sure.  As with anywhere out West you are in the front range of the Rockies and there will be hills.  Also with any Hwy out there the road does heave doesn't matter what hwy you are on so watch those ooppdy doos.....    Drive on and enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

So if you do go this route you will go through Edgemont which is the Northern route for the BNSF trains to get to the coal fields,  When you go through Lusk and head West that is the Union Pacific route to the coal fields and if you decide to go through Guernsey that is the Southern route for the BNSF to get to the coal fields. Not that  that I am a rail fan but I have worked all those routes on the trains over the years. 

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If this is a concern, he needs a bigger truck..... :ph34r:

This is why we took your advice Mr. Jim, we could climb the hills just fine, coming down was the "concern".

Now I just steer the bigger truck, it does all the rest.👍

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If this is a concern, he needs a bigger truck..... :ph34r:

Hey Jim, you know I’ve got a bigger truck😊.  Where were you guys stationed out there?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 5/30/2018 at 11:32 AM, wtgeodog said:

ShortyO

Shorty,

Saw my share of coal trains in N. Tx. with coal fired power plant right outside my hometown.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

South of rapid, hwy 71 through neb and colorado avoids traffic.  

Cattle trucks use this road, so it’s suitable for an rv  

Then west from 71 to front range

I drive i-10 in houston twice a day and don’t like i-25.

scenery is a little flat compared to going south along the front range  

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Archived