Truck of choice for piggybacking a Jeep with a fiver

remoandiris

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Reo - A short hood Kenworth T800 with 38” Aerocab flattop sleeper with no back of sleeper exhaust is 145 ish inches from front bumper to back of sleeper.  

Thanks.  There is virtually no way I can carry a Jeep AND keep the overall length under 65' with my current 5er.  And this 5er isn't going anywhere for several years.  So, if I'm going to do it, it will be with a comfy truck and I'll take my chances.  Right now I am considering Peterbilts.  I like the looks of their dash more than others.  But with so many Freightshakers out there, ...

I have been giving a LOT of thought to Vern's suggestion of a sliding hitch.  That way if LEO stops me for over length, I can drop the Jeep, move the hitch, and end up under 65'.  But, what do I do if in a state with a 60' or 55' limit?  Simple, I just don't worry about it.  

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, mrchips said:

Hate to say it, but you won't carry a jeep of any kind and tow a fiver of any length and stay under 65'. I carry a 4 door Rubicon and tow a 40' fiver and I am 74' 6".......I don't worry about it...

Yeah, I've come to accept that 65' with my current 5er is impossible.  So be it.

How long is your bed?  How long is your truck from bumper to bumper?  I'm figuring I'll need about a 20' bed.

I need to look at lengths and angles to determine if putting the Jeep up at an angle will be worth it.  My Jeep would be a 2-door Wrangler in the 15' range. 

• 2 weeks later...

Truck is about 35' +/-, bed is 20' from cab to end. 19' to center of pin. WB is 229", 9' overhang from rear axle. Handles and drives like a dream.

Rolling up on an angle only gains you about a foot and getting in/out is a PITA.

0313181543a.jpg

3 minutes ago, mrchips said:

Rolling up on an angle only gains you about a foot and getting in/out is a PITA.

Thanks.  I pretty much figured the juice of an angle wouldn't be worth the squeeze.  But, having it at an angle gives a LOT of storage space/capability.  

Measurements for you:

Center front axle to center mid axle 230”

Center front axle to center rear axle 285”

Front of bed to rear of bed 241” (ramp

Mounts)

Center mid axle to center kingpin 124”

Center rear axle to center kingpin 77”

Center of tandems to center kingpin 111”

Front of bed to center kingpin 226”

Bed to cab clearance 3.5”

Bed is 96” wide. 

Front of bed to first angle down 144.5”

Angle down length 28”

From down angle to end of bed 69.5”

Kingpin to end of bed 14”

Deck drop 9”

Top angle to end of ramp Mount 96”

Ramp mount 1.25” wide

Opening for hitch is 32.5” long x 28” wide

Center of front axle to front of bed 136”

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Reo - lock’s truck is a 257 or 258 wheelbase according to his nice list of measurements. Wheelbase will be mentioned in ads for  trucks. Also “cab to axle” aka CA, and or “back of sleeper” aka BOS may be mentioned. These measurements from manufacturers specs are always to the center of the rear axle group i.e.the wheelbase. Tandem drive trucks can have different rear axle spacing but be the same wheelbase. 

Bumper to back of sleeper measurements vary among sleeper sizes, and manufacturers. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Shannon, it looks like the gap between your axles is 55", based on your measurements, and like noteven said, would you give you the 157"ish wheelbase.  But I did notice that the measurements given from the axles to pin only show a difference of 47" and that would make your mid tandem measurement (wheelbase) change a little bit, based on which one is correct.  So.....???

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Archived