Truck of choice for piggybacking a Jeep with a fiver

remoandiris

A few forum members carry a Jeep on the back of their HDT while pulling a 5er.  Is there an HDT that is "best" suited for this task?  Or is it all about the engine size, gear ratio, etc?

Truck would remain tandem and the Jeep would be angled up toward the top of the cab, like Vern's setup.  Hoping for a max of 25' from the front bumper to the center of the hitch.  

Any of them will work just fine as long as you have the frame length to build the bed that long. You will need around 20’ from back of cab to hitch if you flat load. Loading at an angle will shorten you some but not as much as you may think. Keeping under 25’ will be tight. More than likely you will need to extend the frame which is not a huge deal. Be warned that this will be long. Only way to keep shorter is to go with a smaller sleeper. Even the smallest of HDT engine configurations will be more than enough power to haul jeep and 5er. Mine is a not a small sleeper truck but is large enough for a jeep. I will try and post picture. We have not had issues getting in anywhere we have wanted to go. 

ntwzs0ml.jpg

Couldn't do a daycab.  No way to get that registered as a motorhome.

Looks like if I want to do it, I have to be willing to accept the risk of being overlength and having LEO bust my balls.  Or, go with a Class A with a Jeep toad and give up the living space a 5er offers.

I second the cabover.

Mine is short hood, only 48" sleeper, and measures 30" bumper to hitch. You didn't say what model Jeep either......mine is a YJ and could fit a TJ, but no way could fit a JK loaded flat on the deck. How much can be saved by loading virtically?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Or you could double tow a Jeep behind your 5er with a short wheelbase truck.  Then, worst case scenario you are stopped for over length, you simply unhitch the Jeep and let your DW drive it for a while.  I double tow my Jeep when I need it and have had no issues doing so through many states, but I am always prepared to deal with any potential issues if they come up.  When double towing, I am over length in most places, but when just towing the 5er I am well under 65’ (with a 42’ 5er).  Double towing is not for everyone, but if you are willing to do it it is a good way to go.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Dollytrolley v 1.0 . 20 ft Morgan cargo box with room for TWO Zuki Sammys and a 30 ft Curtis Dune Toyhauler wit Dolly the paint horse in the removable horse module in the last 3 ft of the toyhauler garage..........plenty of room for too much .....stuff.....64 FT over all.....

ob57u75l.jpg

DVtXoYAl.jpg

Drive on.........(too much stuff if you have too much......garage)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

13 hours ago, remoandiris said:

A few forum members carry a Jeep on the back of their HDT while pulling a 5er.  Is there an HDT that is "best" suited for this task?  Or is it all about the engine size, gear ratio, etc?

Truck would remain tandem and the Jeep would be angled up toward the top of the cab, like Vern's setup.  Hoping for a max of 25' from the front bumper to the center of the hitch.  

Are you dead set on a 5er?  Would a pull behind suffice for the next couple of years?  One benefit to a Pull behind is the option to pull the trailer short distances with the Jeep, this may come in handy in a tight campground.

The overall length of the the rig can be kept reasonable as well. I am around 32 feet from front bumper to hitch ball with the large sleeper Volvo 780.  I have a short 12 foot deck, that will accommodate a TJ and likely a JK Unlimited would fit as well(tight squeeze).

1519769410984.jpg

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

9 hours ago, CrazyCooter said:

I second the cabover.

Mine is short hood, only 48" sleeper, and measures 30" bumper to hitch. You didn't say what model Jeep either......mine is a YJ and could fit a TJ, but no way could fit a JK loaded flat on the deck. How much can be saved by loading virtically?

Jeep would be a 2-door Rubicon or Sahara model.  I searched Truck Paper for cabover truck.  Came up with nothing.  I'm sure they are out there.

3 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

Also, what state is your residence in? This can affect your options also.

If this comes to fruition, it will be SD. 

I live in Fla.  I have already been thru the Fla goat rope and it is not legal to tow a 5er or gooseneck in Fla with an HDT registered as an RV.  Yes, people do it/have done it, but it is not legal per Fla statutes.  Bumper pull is fine.  Go figure.  Getting insurance in Fla for a private truck was impossible, too.  My independent agent shopped 50 companies and every one said I needed commercial exposure.  Something about Fla and GVWR over 26K.   

I wouldn't worry too much about being over the magic 65 foot mark. As long as you stay away from Houston, TX and one town in Alaska, you should be OK. There are people on this site that full time and are approaching 75 feet that have never been checked or ticketed in hundreds of thousands of miles between them. If you do happen to get caught, just smile, pay the fine and consider it a tax for living the lifestyle.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I wouldn't worry too much about being over the magic 65 foot mark. As long as you stay away from Houston, TX and one town in Alaska, you should be OK. There are people on this site that full time and are approaching 75 feet that have never been checked or ticketed in hundreds of thousands of miles between them. If you do happen to get caught, just smile, pay the fine and consider it a tax for living the lifestyle.

What town in Alaska?

GCTaaehl.jpg

Just some thoughts on this subject.

I just measured my bed.

14'7" frame front of the bed to the center of the hitch when the hitch is in the most forward position.

Now the hitch slides out so the center of the hitch is 23" behind the bed. I have stated before 27" but that was wrong.

If a person is concerned about being too long at that position, the bed could be built so the hitch can be farther forwards when in the shortest position or have another  hitch  on the slide. Mine is just a Binkly head mounted on 2 1/4" of rubber.

With that said you would have the option of unloading the jeep and have someone else drive the jeep separate .

Another option that would help would be to have a soft top on the jeep. That could help on the length .

Now I have built trailers for hauling stuff in construction . So with the that expierence I will never put my self in a position of having to be at a90 degree angle with my fifth wheel . I cannot turn that sharp with my jeep loaded.

You cannot turn that sharp with a bumper pull unit.

Now there are some mor options that could be incorporated into a bed design to help with your thoughts.

So find what cab is the shortest for what you want. Then find one that my bed will fit.

Or a car carrier truck.   Restored yj for vehicle.

Lots of thinking to do.

Safe Travels.   Vern

Remember the 1987-2006 YJ/TJ jeep models are about 14" shorter than the 2007-2018 JK models. Not sure what you had in mind. CJ5's even shorter, but I don't consider them comfortable by any means.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

New model year Jeeps are JL unless you find an old left over JK, not sure what the length is on those other than whats online. The JL is 2" longer than the JK. Supersize.....the American way!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Long & Short of it.......

Old coddger up in Ellensburg WA has a Zuki-Sammy that is fitted with a Half-cab-soft-top and is match painted to his Int Eagle and 5er trailer so it is a VERY sharp combo............last I saw him in Yuma he had 120K miles on the unit and he hauls the Sammy crossways like a Smart..........EVERYONE including........COPS .......look at the half-cab top and swear that the Sammy has been shortened but...........no it only looks Short but it is still..............TEN FEET LONG......Errr I guess Wideeee.....

He NEVER EVER travels through the truck-quick-pass-lane-scales or the computer would nail him but so far.........120K miles is pretty far......

Drive on.........(How long is......TooWide?)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

43 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Thanks.  It'll be a 2-door of the smallest Jeep on the market at the time...unless someone else comes out with a good, small, off-roading street legal vehicle.  Maybe somehow the Suzuki Jimny will be imported.

We looked Looooong and HARD to find our Low Miles (24 K) better-than-new Suzuki Sammy and finding a gem like ours is like I said very hard but there are a few out there........

Now Like Crazy says CJ-5's are no Limo-ride and a Sammy will make a speed-bump into a........REAL Speed-BUMP so ..........it's short.......it's narrow .........and YES you need to DRIVE it like it's......SHORT and NARROW..........the word here is.........DRIVE.......

Now if you can't DRIVE...........perhaps a streach-Hummer might be the rig......

Sammy is not a FIVE Star Crash rig so DRIVE like your life depends on it.........

Short jeeps can go anywhere a Sammy can go off the road ........sorta.........when the House size boulders are 64 inches apart my Jeep buddies park and pile int the Sammy and then we climb up yo the top of the ridge.........(smirk).....

Sammy is old -school but works pretty well for a small rig legal in 50 states and 99 countries........

Drive on............(Drive like it IS Short and ...........Narrow.........)

58SJTe1l.jpg

Dolly   I saw a SAmmy on  a HDT sitting cross wide but can't remember where the picture was or if it had been shortened. i have looked for one but haven't been able to find one. i thought a nice winter project would be to shorten one about 12" and mount it cross wide. At 9 ft I'd take my chances. I don't do much 4 wheeling but it would be nice to have a small set  of wheels.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Archived