Recommendations for remote temp montiroing via celluar connection?

AC7880

I am going to start researching a simple temp monitor to install in the coach.  Temp sensor to connect via Wi-Fi to our on board wireless network, and then be able to check temps via our cell phones while away from the coach.

Even better if the wireless temp sensor is programmable to send alerts (email and/or text) at set points for high temp. Purpose: in case power goes out in hot weather, get alerts to protect pets on board from overheating (by returning to the coach).  No desire to change thermostat set point while away from coach. 

Anyone already done the research?

Dan - SKP club member

We used an Acurite Internet connected hub and multiple sensor setup in our coach to monitor temps for our dog when we were away for several hours. Our dog has passed on, and now we use the same setup to monitor the inside and outside temps at our Adirondack cottage during the winter. We have alerts set for low and high temps, as well as low sensor batteries and loss of signals. The temp alerts are set to text us, with the less critical battery and LOS alerts emailed. We can also check the temps at anytime using an app on our phones. The complete system with 3 sensors is about $149.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

If you're comfortable with DIY, you can get a Raspberry Pi Zero W and hook a DS18B20 temperature sensor to it.  I haven't set up alerts yet, but I have a little script that polls the temperature sensor every minute and submits the data to Amazon Cloudwatch, which then feeds a free Grafana dashboard.  Not exactly plug'n'play (some soldering and scripting involved), but minimal power draw (<1W), about $45 total, and pretty flexible.  I'll probably swap out the temp sensor for a combined temp+humidity sensor, or maybe just add it on so one watches the battery temperatures or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted a device to monitor temp in camper when my husband and i leave dogs. I purchased RVPet Safety monitor that alerts phone, email, text. Was a less expensive option. Can set up what works for you. You can pay  for a month or yr. Since I am not full time I start for a month when we vacation and stop when we get home.  This system is TERRiBLE due to poor instructions, ecah time I unplug i need to reset but there is no written instructions and takes forever fto get an answer from company.

So i than purchased the more expensive Marcell system. This monitor plugs into electric with battery back up, monitors temp, humidity and can be set with high and low parameters. Again i can pay for a month or a yr. I used it this month for a week and worked great, when i set it up on my home computer than moved to camper i received alert on my phone and was able to cancel alert, same as when i brought monitor from camper to home. The unit comes with written instructions.

Hope this helps.

deb

• 3 weeks later...

I too have been looking for a remote monitoring system for the RV as we sometimes leave our dog behind.

I have read about the Homeminder by Minder Research but the independent reviews were a bit negative. Does anybody have one of these that could share some opinions?

Also have seen some information about the Temp Stick and also the Nimble but haven't formed any conclusions in case somebody has any opinions on these too.

This  becomes a more important topic as we get into the summer months.

Edited by Tucsontech

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased the Temp Stick for this exact application.  Even plugged in at a campground with the AC on and thermostat set we'd get nervous about a system failure while we're away in high Midwestern heat (100+) with 180 lbs of black lab mix in the rig (100lb great Pyrenees/lab and 80lb golden/lab) .  So far this has been a great solution for us.  We have a wireless router in the rig that we run everything off of and connect it to either campground wifi, mobile hotspot, or phone hotspot for internet service.  We can check it at any time and you can set email and txt alerts based on any temperature thresholds you like... very customizable.  I would recommend this solution even if it is a little pricey.  

A plus note, it uses very little data because it only "wakes up" from a wifi perspective when it's either out of tolerance or every X minutes you supply... just make sure you place it at "dog height" as opposed to near the ceiling or in the path of sunlight or you'll get false warnings (and minor heart attacks)

• 7 months later...
On 5/28/2018 at 7:28 AM, AC7880 said:

I am going to start researching a simple temp monitor to install in the coach.  Temp sensor to connect via Wi-Fi to our on board wireless network, and then be able to check temps via our cell phones while away from the coach.

Even better if the wireless temp sensor is programmable to send alerts (email and/or text) at set points for high temp. Purpose: in case power goes out in hot weather, get alerts to protect pets on board from overheating (by returning to the coach).  No desire to change thermostat set point while away from coach. 

Anyone already done the research?

I really don't know about it but some had suggested me a pet temperature monitor from rvpetsafety. I think it may use for your research. https://rvpetsafety.com/

Edited by jessica thomas

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Older thread; but here is some current intel

Proteus is a company, they do 110volt sensors which talk via wifi.  No subscription and free txt alerting (phone calls for a fee).  The cool part is that since they are cloud based if the device isn't talking to the cloud you get an alert saying that it has lost contact.

I use this solution to monitor sump pumps; works crazy well as you can tell if the device is tripped or if the device isn't communicating (wifi down as example or power out as example).

Here is an amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Humidity-sensor-Buzzer-Alerts/dp/B01AQ0PZFS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=proteus&qid=1628885789&sr=8-3 

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

They did not have smartphones while we were full time. I found this which works on wifi and can be accessed from anywhere. So you would have to leave y6our cellular or other WiFi on for it to connect with the app wherever you are. $35.99 at first glance and more than 1700 reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Indoor-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor/dp/B0872ZWV8X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=high+temp+sensor+and+cellular+alert&qid=1629301462&s=amazon-devices&sr=1-3#customerReviews

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

A Sensor Push module(s) combined with their WiFi Gateway would do the trick.  I use 4 Sensor Push modules to monitor freezer, refrigerator, outside & my medicine storage box using Bluetooth; I haven't added the Gateway.  On an iPhone you can see current, hourly, daily, weekly monthly or yearly temperatures & humidity.  The data can also be dumped to a spreadsheet.  

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys