Slide topper

The bedroom slide topper on our motorhome was damaged getting onto a ferry (another story). As I get ready to order a replacement, I asked myself if the topper was really necessary. I know it keeps some leaves, twigs, and in our area acorns off,  but wouldn’t the closing slide do the same. I ask the question after going about 3500 miles, through much wind and rain, without the topper, completing the trip.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

I just put 3 slide toppers on my toyhauler.  The final decision came when we were Wallycamping on our way south and it snowed 2 inches overnight.  The snow would not have cleared itself and would have probably stopped the slides from closing all the way.  My wife voluntered to go up and sweep and when she got down she said we WILL get toppers. We spend 6 weeks under live oak trees in the Texas hill country and the slides would get piles of leaves that needed to be cleaned before closing but no longer!  Those toppers are worth their weight in gold now that my DW no longer has to go up to sweep. 

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

A combination slide cover and window awning came on our new 2004 fiver. Didn't think much about it one way or the other. 14 years later we wouldn't be without them. Spending about six months in the winter in Yuma, AZ. it seems in a small way to help keep the sun from heating up the slide inside. In the summer while in Idaho and Montana, we are frequently parked  in treed areas. They definitely help keep leaves and twigs off the slide roof as when we roll the slides that stuff simply falls off the cover. Sure beats climbing around on the roof or ladder to sweep stuff off. Also, I have no proof, but with the slide cover fastened to the trailer and the outside of the slide that covers the slide seal across the top of the slide which might help keep rain out while the slide is rolled in. The material finally wore out last year and I had a shop sew up new covers and I replaced them.

I'll take the counterpoint and say that sure you can RV without slide toppers. We (and many, many others) have done it for over 20 years, including the past 8+ years full time. We had the option of including them on our HitchHiker and passed. Why? Simplicity. Just one more thing (or in our case, three more things) to mess with. I've seen enough slide toppers flapping in the wind, torn, or just not working well to know that can be issues with them, just as there are with anything else. 

When we've been parked in a "messy" location for a long period of time I do get on the ladder to see if the slides need swept off before retracting them. About half of the time they do and it takes me less than a minute to accomplish. I understand that some folks are not comfortable getting up into their roof but it doesn't bother me. 

You've been on the road for 3500 miles without the topper, so you've experienced both with and without. Seems like you could just leave if off for a while longer if you're undecided. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Had them on my first 5er.  Didn't have them on the second or the current 5er.  Only time I wish I had them is when we're readying to depart a site under trees.  Crap always lands on the slides when you're parked under trees.  Sometimes I climb on the roof and sweep it off, other times I let it go one or two stops and get it then.

I am not convinced they are "must haves", but as you've read, others love them.  

Never had them. See a lot of them in rough shape. How long do they last? I have awnings on my slideouts. The straps make a lot of noise in wind. Can only imagine what toppers sound like. Top of my slideouts is cool inside now with 90 degree Texas sun on them. So much for cooling effect.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Last RV we had for 10 years and the toppers looked fine.

How noisy are they? Interesting that yours lasted that long. Must be lots of old units around then

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Never had them. See a lot of them in rough shape. How long do they last? I have awnings on my slideouts. The straps make a lot of noise in wind. Can only imagine what toppers sound like. Top of my slideouts is cool inside now with 90 degree Texas sun on them. So much for cooling effect.

Glenn ,

When you put the awnings out twist the straps three or four turns before you hook them . You won't hear them much , if at all . 

Anytime you can keep the sun off any surface , that surface will be cooler . So , the top of your slide outs will be even cooler than what you feel now . 

Longevity : Two of our  three awnings are 18 years old ( one is only about 9 years old ) . Last year I restitched every 'factory' stitch on all three ( sun rotted the threads ) . The material is still in excellent condition . 

And , it takes a lot of wind from just the right direction for our toppers/awnings to make any noise . 

Goes around , comes around .

I know the outside top of slide would be cooler but honesty, I reached up and felt the top of the living room slide out, sitting in it, and it is cool. It was 91 degrees outside full sun. Maybe its the dense foam insulation causing this. Thanks for the info. Will twist those straps and try that.

Hella hail storm came thru today.  Toppers would have eliminated the need for me to climb on the roof with a broom to sweep off the slides.  I probably didn't NEED to sweep the slides, but it was faster than waiting for the hail to melt.

First hail storm in 7 yrs of RVing, so still not convinced I need them.

10 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Hella hail storm came thru today.  Toppers would have eliminated the need for me to climb on the roof with a broom to sweep off the slides.  I probably didn't NEED to sweep the slides, but it was faster than waiting for the hail to melt.

First hail storm in 7 yrs of RVing, so still not convinced I need them.

Sounds like you never will be . That's OK . I don't mind . I'm keeping the covers over my slides .  

I happen to like not having to get up there to clean what ever junk blows onto them , even when there are no trees . And , I like how the top seals seem to be a lot more supple than the side seals . I wonder if being protected from the sun might have anything to do with that ? ;)

We had slide toppers on our last two RVs and wouldn't be without them.  Ours were tight enough that they didn't flap around. You can adjust them.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Slide covers are a personal choice so no need for convincing. I really don't understand why you bothered to sweep off the slide as the hail would dissipate anyway. Did you also sweep the stones off the main roof?  

I went up there to look for damaged a/c covers, vent covers, etc.  Figured since I was there I might as well get rid of the stones.  They remained on the ground for hours after the storm.  If it had been a hotter day, I probably would have waited until they melted on their own before I went up.  But, since it was on the cool side, it would have been dark before they were gone.

We haven't had toppers on any of the 3 5th wheels we've had.  We usually stay in areas that are windy though.  Currently, we're in the upper mid-west, North Dakota to be exact  It's been "Breezy" for 3-4 weeks now.  The rig next to us has toppers that flap consistently.  It's irritating after awhile.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

11 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

We haven't had toppers on any of the 3 5th wheels we've had.  We usually stay in areas that are windy though.  Currently, we're in the upper mid-west, North Dakota to be exact  It's been "Breezy" for 3-4 weeks now.  The rig next to us has toppers that flap consistently.  It's irritating after awhile.

You might suggest that they tighten them a bit . Maybe even offer to help do that ? ;)

We're in SW New Mexico . It's been 20 to 30 mph windy here every afternoon for about the last month . The wind through the trees makes more noise than any of our awnings . 

We have a 14 foot awning on our driver side slide out . That awning has a smaller roller than the patio awning and does 'give' a bit when the wind gusts . I will be installing a 3rd strap in the center for better 'control' . That's the only concern we have with our awnings/toppers .

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know if anyone has had slide toppers added to their trailer after it left the factory ? Do the RV dealers add toppers to the trailer or do you need to go back to the manufacturer to have that kind of work done ? Is there any special blocking that needs to be in the walls before they would add any topper ? 

Thank you for any kind of help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived