Great Mechanic Pahrump

Vegas Teacher

O.K. update on the Rusted bolt situation in Pahrump and Excellent, Outstanding and Talented mobile Mechanic found in Pahrump.

So if you are in the great town of Pahrump I can recommend a mobile mechanic. Phone number 775-910-2383

Well most of you saw and have read rust, rust and more rust......

Here is the follow up......

Last Monday I started calling mobile mechanics  in  Pahrump to see who could meet me at my truck which is in Flyers driveway. Tom Birmingham was the mechanic I called. I set up an appointment with him for Saturday at 2:oo p.m.

O.K. let me tell you about my experience with him & his wife - All of this is good!

1. I get to Pahrump at about 1:20 I figured I would be a little bit early so I could have a look see around the truck. At 1:30 Heather, his wife calls to confirm I have made it to town and that the address was still correct.

2. At 1:45, 15 minutes early he shows up.

3. He gets out of his jeep and introduces himself and first takes a look at the issue with the bolts.

4. He tells me he does not have air but first sprays all of the nuts with Free All, at this point I am thinking O.K. here we go again.

5. He comes back to the Semi with an assortment of breaker bars and torque wrench and not a single extension for anything. So once again I am like aw F!@#$%%%^K !!!!!

6. In under an hour he had every nut, bolt and shock removed. We had worked our @$$E$ off trying to get them off, we even tried a sawz all / reciprocating saw, and a carbide tipped blade and even had a DeWalt impact wrench - no luck. I was simply in Awe.

7. Tom is a former army Mechanic, he served in Afghanistan for our country and gives a teacher and military discount. I thanked him for his service to our country and he thanked me for teaching the kids I teach and doing what I do. Teachers really don't get many thanks.

8. I asked him to install my cab air bags, shocks and the air controller on the back of the truck, that day but he had an appointment with another person so do an air conditioner on their car. He does not miss appointments and does not keep clients waiting. However he is coming back out this week to work on my semi to get it going.

9. Once again 775-910-2383 Tom Birmingham is his name and number the company name is Pahrump mobile mechanic. I can't say enough good about him. Shoot I think even Dolly Trolly might like him since they are in each others back yard LOL!!! Trolly back down there it is just a joke! LOL LOL LOL   

3 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

O.K. update on the Rusted bolt situation in Pahrump and Excellent, Outstanding and Talented mobile Mechanic found in Pahrump.

So if you are in the great town of Pahrump I can recommend a mobile mechanic. Phone number 775-910-2383

Well most of you saw and have read rust, rust and more rust......

Here is the follow up......

Last Monday I started calling mobile mechanics  in  Pahrump to see who could meet me at my truck which is in Flyers driveway. Tom Birmingham was the mechanic I called. I set up an appointment with him for Saturday at 2:oo p.m.

O.K. let me tell you about my experience with him & his wife - All of this is good!

1. I get to Pahrump at about 1:20 I figured I would be a little bit early so I could have a look see around the truck. At 1:30 Heather, his wife calls to confirm I have made it to town and that the address was still correct.

2. At 1:45, 15 minutes early he shows up.

3. He gets out of his jeep and introduces himself and first takes a look at the issue with the bolts.

4. He tells me he does not have air but first sprays all of the nuts with Free All, at this point I am thinking O.K. here we go again.

5. He comes back to the Semi with an assortment of breaker bars and torque wrench and not a single extension for anything. So once again I am like aw F!@#$%%%^K !!!!!

6. In under an hour he had every nut, bolt and shock removed. We had worked our @$$E$ off trying to get them off, we even tried a sawz all / reciprocating saw, and a carbide tipped blade and even had a DeWalt impact wrench - no luck. I was simply in Awe.

7. Tom is a former army Mechanic, he served in Afghanistan for our country and gives a teacher and military discount. I thanked him for his service to our country and he thanked me for teaching the kids I teach and doing what I do. Teachers really don't get many thanks.

8. I asked him to install my cab air bags, shocks and the air controller on the back of the truck, that day but he had an appointment with another person so do an air conditioner on their car. He does not miss appointments and does not keep clients waiting. However he is coming back out this week to work on my semi to get it going.

9. Once again 775-910-2383 Tom Birmingham is his name and number the company name is Pahrump mobile mechanic. I can't say enough good about him. Shoot I think even Dolly Trolly might like him since they are in each others back yard LOL!!! Trolly back down there it is just a joke! LOL LOL LOL   

Teach....  

Right on......now that Tom has mentored you in rusty-nut-removal Tom can over to Last Chance Peak and we will sit in recliners and watch you "practice" what Tom "Taught-the-teacher" ......  We will drink Dr. Pepper /Crown and "grade" you on how much grease and grime you can transfer from the truck to your carcass....

Drive on.......("Truck-$chool.......never ends)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, Dollytrolley said:

Teach....  

Right on......now that Tom has mentored you in rusty-nut-removal Tom can over to Last Chance Peak and we will sit in recliners and watch you "practice" what Tom "Taught-the-teacher" ......  We will drink Dr. Pepper /Crown and "grade" you on how much grease and grime you can transfer from the truck to your carcass....

Drive on.......("Truck-$chool.......never ends)

Hey do I get crown too I work much better lubricated myself. I don't need no stinking Dr. Pepper we will save that for Phil 

So, how big was this monster of a man? Able to twist off rusty fasteners in the Las Vegas heat, stronger than 2 ordinary men and an impact wrench. I did say that I didn't put much faith behind DeWalt's claims. It's all in the technique, so hopefully both of you were learning while paying. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

So, how big was this monster of a man? Able to twist off rusty fasteners in the Las Vegas heat, stronger than 2 ordinary men and an impact wrench. I did say that I didn't put much faith behind DeWalt's claims. It's all in the technique, so hopefully both of you were learning while paying. 

He was an about 175 but pretty well built, young and former military who refused to give up. He did not drop a single foul word and was positive the entire time. He was just a good guy, and good at what he did. What did I learn??? That when you have done this before andyou know your tools and know the tool is warrantied for 100% replacement if it breaks you can push it to the limit without worry. I have also learned I am not a mechanic, I want to do my work, but I have a lot to learn. It is also about having the right tools for the job and using the tool you have correctly, and he did all of that. It was a win with this truck I really needed to happen. I was starting to give up hope. Yes I understand it is a marathon not a race. I have ran a marathon before, it was a lot of fun 5K free beer at the end, one year ago today in Flagstaff Arizona did it with a buddy named Geo. Anyway I want to move on to the fun projects not like adding new mirrors, Chrome, train horns and that kind of stuff, not Jackalopees, Direct link breaking systems, cab shocks and all of that kind of stuff. I want to do the fun projects but they are probably a year or two off, at least I am under 50.

On a second positive note Monday is a full day of school, Tuesday - Thursday kids get out at 10:40 and Friday is teacher check out day! Summer 2018 here I come!

Later,

Cory O 

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Let's not forget, the fasteners had an extra week during which to soak.;)

I think that is a good point too. Before I left the previous weekend I did soak them again in P.B. Blaster. However he did have to put a little muscle in it to get off the bolts.

I won't lie it is fun to watch somebody who is good at what the do, day in and day out, show you a little magic. 

6 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

I think that is a good point too. Before I left the previous weekend I did soak them again in P.B. Blaster. However he did have to put a little muscle in it to get off the bolts.

I won't lie it is fun to watch somebody who is good at what the do, day in and day out, show you a little magic. 

Let’s not forget that we used a similar breaker bar with a 5’ section of pipe and had your breaker bar bent like it was going to launch an arrow.

There is probably a bit of fact to Rickeioeio’s post.  Unless of course, Tom had pixie dust.....lol

An extra week with a gallon of penetrating oil and near 100 degree temps can work wonders.

19 hours ago, rickeieio said:

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Little derailment here....

Back in the yacht building days, we would take the end of a propeller drive shaft and freeze it for 24 hours and take the coupler and bake it at 450 for several hours.  Carefully insert frozen prop shaft into the heated coupler and let cool.  Insert set screw/bolt and you have an assembly that you cannot separate with cutting. The dimensions of the exterior shaft and the interior coupler were the exact same size to where they would not slide or slip together.  Heat expands metal, cold contracts.  Even the difference in daytime vs night time temps can work to your advantage if the fasteners have been soaked.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Shrink fits,

There are a lot of assemblies that are shrink fit, cold part/hot part.     Removing seized fasteners, same principal.      There is induction heaters for installing/ removing bolts, bearings etc.      I agree the week of soaking may have done the trick?     On the garage forum guys buy vices with frozen lead screws and soak them for weeks, even months, nearly all move in the end.    

The one thing I notice on a lot of fasteners on trucks, the threads are gaulled upon removal, that is a result of the high torque applied to them.      That makes removing them even more difficult.  

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

If you have a rusted assembly that you can soak in water for days they will often come apart. This will also remove rust that is caked on. Dry and oil after you are done.

My mother hated it when Dad would heat up a motorcycle crank case in her oven while freezing the bearing in her freezer. Hot oil stinks.

21 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Uh-huh, right. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

34 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

You really had to hire somebody to break rusted bolts loose next time split them with a cut wheel and nock them off with a cold chisel. or get a longer breaker bar and  extension. Really sounds like somebody has money to burn. Not around here.

No money to burn just fed up and tired of not making progress. There is a point at which frustration takes over. I am not, I repeat I am not a mechanic and I don't own large tools. I also don't have the time or professional experience real mechanics do. Tom did an awesome job and deserves a lot of credit. The point of this post was to compliment a person gor doing a great job, showing up early, being a professional in every since of the word and to let others in this area know of a great and reliable mechanic. I think many lost sight of that simple title to the post.

I think most of us either have some one we call when all else fails or wish we did, and its nice to recognize those people. I have been that person many times, as have many on this forum, and a heartfelt thank you is often all that we ask for.  The best thank you VT can give is the word of mouth advertising he is doing. Its refreshing to know that there are some honest hard working people left.

Over a week ago, on your other thread about this, I suggested using an air chisel.  I bet VF has one.  If not, even a cheap one helps.  Put the chisel on a flat on the nut and let 'er rip.  Move to another flat and repeat.  The nut will "grow".

You needed a new nut anyway.........................

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

50 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Over a week ago, on your other thread about this, I suggested using an air chisel.  I bet VF has one.  If not, even a cheap one helps.  Put the chisel on a flat on the nut and let 'er rip.  Move to another flat and repeat.  The nut will "grow".

You needed a new nut anyway.........................

I started that way with my shocks this past weekend. I have a "GOOD" air chisel too... and once the nut was cut off... they still did not want to release from the shock eyelets. Then the air chisel was just spreading the threaded end and that wont be any better trying to push through. I was done after screwing around with the first bolt and just hit them all with a torch and pushed them out.

22 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

Thanks I was pronouncing it correctly, but I was thinking Paw like on little House and rump like I fell on my rump. Still got 3 weeks of school here, I will be thinking of you, enviously, while I am driving the bus.

Lance,

I said earlier in this thread that Teachers don't get a lot of thanks, as bus drivers I know you don't either. Parents expect you to get their prized possession to school and back home safely but rarely do you get thanks from those who you do the service for. I have and advantage I can get up and walk over and take care of the problem you are kind of trapped unless you pull over, but then you also have a schedule to keep. Thanks for keeping the kids safe and getting them to and from school safely!

Later,

Cory O 

Archived