GEN 1 AC REPAIR

NeverEasy

Ever since we have owned the '01 Volvo (6 years), in the spring, I have had to add freon.  Well, this year the leaks would not let me keep up.  So I dumped in a can of freon with dye and found the leaks.  One was at the high pressure input to the condenser and both expansion valves (one for the cab and one for the bunk area) were leaking.  I took it to a local ac shop and they evacuated the system for $223.  Ouch.  I bought an "AC O-ring kit" from Volvo and thought I would be good to do the replacements.  Well, they might fit a Gen 2 but the kit was of little use to my Gen 1.  The generic AC o-ring kit at Napa did me the most good.  Combined with it and the Volvo kit I had all but one o-ring, the big one that is one of a pair that goes on the top of the condenser (high pressure input).  I finally found one that would fit from Tidewater Fleet Supply that was listed as one for a Chrysler expansion valve.  

The biggest help was going to the Resource Guide (thanks Mark even if you think I am a nitpicker) and downloading the one for the AC system (PV776-TSP144796).  It told me how to get it all apart where I needed help and listed the amount of freon it would take to charge it back up (3 lb, 12 oz).  It also told me how to build a dip-stick to check the oil level in the pump.

The manual recommended changing the receiver/dryer and I did but my sight glass was still blue ( pink or red if desiccant is no longer able to absorb moisture). 

Before I vacuumed and charged the system, I did what some places on facebook said I could do, I charged the system with the driest air I had (that I use for the plasma cutter) to 120 p.s.i. and went looking with bubble solution.  I was not comfortable with this but I did not want to charge the system with freon and then find leaks and have to pay to have it evacuated again.   No leaks found, I put the vacuum pump on it for 8 hours and shut it down for 4 hours.  The vacuum held so I charged it with the full load of freon and it worked great!

The cab and the bunk area air filters had to be replaced, too. 

On eidt, I forgot Nylog.  It must be a relatively new AC system sealant.  It is made from some find of synthetic freon and is compatible with all types of freon.  It is used on o-rings and compression fittings. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I'm still hoping my ride down into TX in the next 10 days will be one of comfort.  The a/c system has been "repaired" for the 1st time in Laredo, TX back in July, then again in Gary, IN, and then once again last April in Pharr, TX.  The one year is up this July and I will be pushing hard to have them find out why it is happening if, in fact, it happens again!  I don't think any sealants have been involved at this point.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

A small bottle of dry nitrogen is cheap. But I guess well-filtered shop air is cheaper.

The AC in the truck works great but worked hard to keep up in Texas at 100° OAT. The car, on the other hand, has a big ol hole in it somewhere. A can of 134a only last a day before the low pressure cut out says no more AC for you. So guess I need to break out the gauges, nitrogen, and sniffer and figure it out. Already getting quite warm even here in Ak.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived