Hooking up house current to MH

jlc1988

You can do a “load” test using your 50amp tester using a hair dryer at the higher setting plugged into each of your “test” recepticals. You can “see” any under voltage on your volt meter. I made the same “tester” and have used the load test to identify a bad pedestal. 

First off, thank you all for your wealth of RV knowledge. I'm learning by reading and experimentation. 🤓

I did hook up Babs (RV name) to an outside 120 VAC outlet. As expected, I cannot run all of the electrical devices. I like having it hooked to house current primarily to keep the fridge cold. I can run the AC, lights, and fridge. When I turn on the fresh water pump, it trips the circuit breaker in the house.

1. As a non-electrical experienced RV owner, it is a very good practice to check the plugs and cords temperatures as well as the outlets that you are plugged into, particularly if you connect to a nontypical RV outlet or one that looks old & weathered or abused. If they show signs of overheating or melting, I would hesitate to connect my RV's plug as a bad outlet that has become loose or experienced previous overheating will damage the plug on your cord. After more than 40 years in electrical repair work, I have become pretty cautious about what I connect to. I even made up a short jumper cord of about 12" length that has the exact same plug as my RV, but one that is more easily replaced, which I use when I must connect to a questionable power source, thus avoiding damage to the plugs critical to me.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 5/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, jlc1988 said:

First off, thank you all for your wealth of RV knowledge. I'm learning by reading and experimentation. 🤓

I did hook up Babs (RV name) to an outside 120 VAC outlet. As expected, I cannot run all of the electrical devices. I like having it hooked to house current primarily to keep the fridge cold. I can run the AC, lights, and fridge. When I turn on the fresh water pump, it trips the circuit breaker in the house.

Strange, your water pump is 12VDC and should have no effect on your AC side, Unless, your converter was not running and kicked on when you turned the pump on.

Jim

I

9 hours ago, jblscooper said:

Strange, your water pump is 12VDC and should have no effect on your AC side, Unless, your converter was not running and kicked on when you turned the pump on.

Jim

If he is running everything he stated he was on a 15A household circuit, things may get expensive fairly quickly. I wonder if he has used a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure total current draw, and measured voltage under high demand?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived