I really need direction

Parrformance

I believe I have damaged a sensor for the air tanks.

In my zeal to stop air leaks, I have somehow caused the low air pressure buzzer and stop light to stay lit in my 06 Volvo 780.

The upper guage is reading no air pressure, the lower guage is reading normally, just past the mid poimt of the sweep.

Could I have damaged the sensor by back filling the air tank closest to the front of the truck with my garage air compressor?  If this might  be the case, where can I find the sending units? Can I swap connectors to test the sensors?

Thank you in advance for the help, I will say the truck holds air like a champ now.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

How did you pressurize the air tanks? Are you sure you have air in all of your tanks?

Air pressure sensors are mounted on the cabin side pass thru behind the kick panels on firewall. I believe they are the same. So you could interchange them to troubleshoot. 

Not familiar with your model truck. Most have an 1/8 " airline to the back of the gauge. The switch integrated with the gauge. Have you had the dash apart? Is the wire (tubing) connected? Did you dick around the sensor area? Wire  (tubing) connected? Nothing you could do by pressuring the tank would cause the symptoms you describe. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I have had several things apart, the big thing I replaced was a "protection valve".  I also had fittings on the tanks, off to rebuild  them.

The dash I have had apart, but not where  the guages are.

I found a leak behind the red knob for trailer brakes.

Jackalopee

The gauge is electric.  On the inside of the fire wall where the pass thru connector is there are pressure sensors there.  I had one go bad earlier this year but for the life of me I don’t remember how I figured which one it was.  My truck is not here for me to refresh my mind but I suspect you could swap the connectors.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

46 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

How did you pressurize the air tanks? Are you sure you have air in all of your tanks?

Air pressure sensors are mounted on the cabin side pass thru behind the kick panels on firewall. I believe they are the same. So you could interchange them to troubleshoot. 

Air in tanks? 

Looks like we have a winner,   Nigel... Thank you for the  heads up on the location of the pressure sensors.  I knew it was something I did, but I was having  tunnel vision with the pressure protection valve.  I thought for sure that I had crossed an airline up.

Soon as you mentioned the passtrough, I realized the problem must be there.

One of the former owners "fixed" the leaky passtrough and the pressure protection valve, by coating them in epoxy. I tried to stop a significant leak, but could not get the airline out, it was completely epoxied to the collet and passtrough assembly. This of course had the pressure sensor plugged into the leg connected to the line on the opposite side.

I will order the new passtrough and swap it next week.

Thank you 

Jackalopee

Desert Miner, I must have missed your edit, I caused the problem trying to fix a leak on the passthrough. I ordered a new one, should be here by midweek. Thanks

Jackalopee

Absolutly, I knew I did it, just couldn't figure out what I did.  I knew it was sensor related, just had no idea where the sensors were.  

I have been chasing leaks for three days, air tanks rear bags, leveling valves, dash valve, foot valve, small line on passenger side  the egr pipes and passtrough assembly.

Just did way too much, and couldn't figure where I screwed up.

I felt so much better after the help from everyone got me on the right track to fix it, and the cold beer helped too.

Jackalopee

10-4 Caught a great YouTube video on the update unit 22646187, seems as though they have marked all the fittings.  I have taken 15 pictures, of each side, and thinking a short video might not hurt. 

The new unit has the fittings as a true pass-through with the pressure sensors for each on a regular "T" right next to the cooresponding hose. 

No more offcentered sensor location on a different area of the unit.  

The write up by Suite Success is a great source of help as well, When I screwd up, I was dead tired from working too long on the truck (my fault), I needed to step back and figure out what I did.  I should have quit for the day before I tried to fix "the last leak". 

Thankfully, I often do board repair and replacements with my fulltime job.

Thank you all for the advice, "I just needed direction" to clear up the fatigue induce brain fog I was in yesterday afternoon.

Michael

Jackalopee

Parrformance, when you get done with yours, you can head over here. I've got the air leaks down to where I can't hear any, and I have a couple pounds of air the next morning. Going to be good enough for now. 12 days until we leave on the big trip of the year, finding more leaks will have to wait.

Moresmoke, got to say that is tempting, we look forward to heading west soon.

I suspect we will do 4 week trip next summer.  I can't hear any leaks anymore either, but rear bags were still down this am. 

I hope to find more leaks and repair them before we go to Tennessee and Kentucky in late June.

The truck should still hold air for an overnight stop at least.

I drew detailed maps of both sides of the pass thru this morning, and labeled all conections in the cab and under the hood.  I used labels where I could and color coded zip ties where the labels would be too large.  

Now I just need to weight for the part to arrive from Hollywood Florida, if sellers ships Monday, I should have by Wednesday, I am in Central Florida.

One not, I use Snap-On racheting screw drivers, expensive but worth it. I was able to break all the Torx 27 fasteners loose with my long shank screw driver and bit, even the one hidden to the driver side of the ECM wire bundle, without removing the connectors or lines.

Michael

Jackalopee

Archived