The in-dash radio, and hooking up to cable questions

This almost feels like the kinds of things we did in high school AV!  Despite more than twenty years in IT (Information Technology), some things about our digital world are still a puzzle - especially when combined with full time living in our 2005 Georgetown XL.  

First - the in-dash radio is antiquated. I gave some thought to simply getting a new rig, but first figured that I could consider replacing that component.  Back in those dark ages, there were no other music sources, so no way to attach iPhones, music players, bluetooth, etc.  But now, I have untold days worth of digital music I'd like to play.  I'd also like to consider Sirius in order to listen everywhere.  So the issue becomes replacing the in-dash unit, which also powers speakers in the driver cabin AND the bedroom.  Any recommendations? Is it really a do-it-yourself project? Has anyone done it? If not, who do I get to work on it?  Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Second - we had the high end DirecTV antenna and two receivers installed. Since changing service addresses at every stop is a pain in the neck, I thought I would use campground cable. And something's amiss.  I have a coax input in the basement - so far have no way to connect it to the TV's.  I think something was either cut out of the system or needs to be added.  What ever the case, however, some advice would be helpful - including where to look to educate myself.  And while I'm not above paying someone to do it, what kind of service tech would?

Again, any thoughts and comments are appreciated!

Richard

Second - The cable input goes into the TV through the same cable as the over the air antenna hookup.  If you want to use the antenna, you turn on the amplifier.  If you turn off the amplifier, the line will automatically switch to the cable hookup.

TV amplifier

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

First question: Crutchfield.com. Plenty of reading and free learning. They're usually price competitive, but not always. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Second - The cable input goes into the TV through the same cable as the over the air antenna hookup.  If you want to use the antenna, you turn on the amplifier.  If you turn off the amplifier, the line will automatically switch to the cable hookup.

TV amplifier

Not so fast!  What amplifier? Where? I have two DirecTV receivers (the DVR is in front, the other in the bedroom) and nothing I can call an amplifier!  The closest device I have is a "Winegard Entertainment Select" powered device  (Model # VS-0303), with coax in and out. The jack I have in the bedroom is the size and type of telephone cable. Is that an amplifier? There are buttons for TV Antenna, AUX and VCR.  (I have now gone onto the Winegard site and come up with some further information, but still would like your thoughts)

The tv cabinet in front was redone to mount a flat screen on it where a large tube TV used to be. There seems to be a lot of excess black coax inside.  How would you go about looking to sort it out?

Amplifier for antenna:

71cK-vrOBsL._SY355_.jpg

The black button on the side is for the power to the amp. Behind the plate, it looks like this:

Winegard1.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I understand common rail diesel injection systems that can vary injection timing as well as fire an injector mulitple times on a single power stroke

And how diesel oxydation catalysts work

And selective catalytic reduction 

And automated truck transmissions with computer actuated clutches

And dual clutch motorcycle transmissions

It's the myriad of sizes and types and connections to get a tv in a rv to work  I can't figure out :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Why can't you just get your locals via your OTA? Easier than cable and you never know the quality of the cable. Also, if you  just want the major networks there is an option called DNS for a monthly fee. This will get you either  the NY or the LA majors then you don't need to worry about more wires and if the cable will work or not. The channel numbers will be consistent also.

5 hours ago, ndeavour said:

Not so fast!  What amplifier? Where? I have two DirecTV receivers (the DVR is in front, the other in the bedroom) and nothing I can call an amplifier!  The closest device I have is a "Winegard Entertainment Select" powered device  (Model # VS-0303), with coax in and out. The jack I have in the bedroom is the size and type of telephone cable. Is that an amplifier? There are buttons for TV Antenna, AUX and VCR.  (I have now gone onto the Winegard site and come up with some further information, but still would like your thoughts)

The tv cabinet in front was redone to mount a flat screen on it where a large tube TV used to be. There seems to be a lot of excess black coax inside.  How would you go about looking to sort it out?

Where are you?  I'll just come by and show you how it's done.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived