Just learning about 'Breed Specific Legislation' (BSL)

DavidCD

We got our dog as a puppy from the Humane Society shelter 4 years ago.  They said she was a 'black mouth cur' mix; our vet says she's probably part boxer, and I've heard all sorts of other theories including casual acquaintances that say, "Oh, she's a pit bull".   We've been traveling with her for the last year and haven't had any problems renting camp sites and staying at RV parks all over the eastern part of the country.

This week we're getting ready to travel to Missouri and have learned that several municipalities have ordinances that outlaw the possession of a "pit bull" (and some other breeds) within their municipality limits.     A few internet searches reveal a whole world of fussing about this stuff - it's called "Breed Specific Legislation".  It's not just Missouri, it's all over the county - usually at the municipality level but there are some counties that have instituted bans also.     The wording of the ordinances generally state that the local animal control is authorized to seize your dog if it  is one of the offending breeds and then you are required to pay a fine and remove the animal from their municipal limits.   There are also a few horror stories about euthanized dogs just to make it feel more drastic.

Has anyone here had problems with their dog being seized or threatened seizure by the local municipality while staying short term in an RV park??

DCD

We have seen several campgrounds/parks that say "No Bully Breeds" but leave an exact definition unwritten.  I asked one and they any dog that was or could be dangerous.  I asked if our mixed lab was dangerous.... Of course not, Labs don't bite.... go figure. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yeah - it seems that many of these municipalities are rather casual about how they determine what is a "pit bull" - actually, if you want to split hairs, there is no specific AKC breed named "pit bull" - there are Staffordshire terriers, various bull terriers and bull dogs - but, I'm sure that if you tried to argue the point with the officials in one of these municipalities it would just inflame the situation.

The state of Ohio has a catch-all clause : "breed of dog commonly known as a pit bull." - so, that would be any dog that any common person might call a "pit bull" - I guess it's all in the name.

I've been bitten by dogs twice: once was a collie and the other was a cocker spaniel.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:15 AM, DavidCD said:

Yeah - it seems that many of these municipalities are rather casual about how they determine what is a "pit bull" - actually, if you want to split hairs, there is no specific AKC breed named "pit bull" - there are Staffordshire terriers, various bull terriers and bull dogs - but, I'm sure that if you tried to argue the point with the officials in one of these municipalities it would just inflame the situation.

The state of Ohio has a catch-all clause : "breed of dog commonly known as a pit bull." - so, that would be any dog that any common person might call a "pit bull" - I guess it's all in the name.

I've been bitten by dogs twice: once was a collie and the other was a cocker spaniel.

This is why when our beloved Rottie moved on to doggie after life we changed breeds to Labs. Our Rottie was the sweetest dog ever.  To much discrimination out there for some breeds. It's all about the owners to me but dog breeds is a can of worms that goes sideways when open.

If your dog "looks" like or resembles a Pit Bull to anyone that can pose a problem for you if it becomes an issue. Most likely you will lose but the little yappers and other breeds that annoy or bite people will be able to stay.

Pit bulls were bread from Bull dogs and Terriers. There is a breed called "The American Pit Bull Terrier". Good luck on your ventures.

James

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

Here's an interesting site in reference to dog bites and specific breeds:

https://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/dog-bite-statistics

I'll quote just the first sentence: "Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year. In 2017, 39 Americans were killed by dogs, 29 of whom were killed by pit bulls."

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Specific breed prohibitions are fairly common in RV parks but I wasn't aware that there were cities and counties prohibiting them. Digging around the internet I found what seems to be pretty good information on the subject from Dogs Bite dot org and you may be interested in looking through it. 

While we have not owned a dog usually found on such lists in a long time, we did at one time have a Malamute which is on many of those lists as they are very large, strong, and protective of the people that they consider to be theirs. Ours weighed in a 157# of lean muscle and while he was very loving and social, he was also protective and would clearly have gone into the attack mode to defend Pam on a moment's notice. I have watched Brutus eat completely the thigh bone from a deer in under 5 minutes, a bit longer for a rawhide bone of the largest size. The reason some places restrict such breeds is mostly from fear of what could happen if he were to bite someone and I must agree that his bite would have crushed bones. We lived on an acreage when we owned him. As much as we loved that dog, I do understand the reasons for such restrictions.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

i used to have two very loving rotts- mix. there bite is the stroungest of any dog out there.

sad both are gone now. 

i have been around many breeds of dogs including pitts. but they were pusscats. just wanted some attention.  even guard dogs were ok... during the day. at night they were on duty.

but in all the little rat dogs have been the most agressave. been bitten by them dozens of times. just there bit amounts to nothing.

sad it is the humans that are the problem not the dog breed.

• 1 month later...

I would do my homework on this.  Kansas also has some cities/counties that have ordinances, and typically, they read like this:  

"The county resolution also states a pit bull dog will include any breed of bull terrier, Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or mixed breeds commonly known as pit bulls."

Most, if not all, cities/counties have resolutions/laws to deal with dogs determined as "vicious" and dogs running at large.  I am often surprised at the number of people that will release a dog to run in an open area when traveling.

A well-behaved dog on a leash with an owner cleaning up after their dog most likely would not be considered a problem.  We have a "chowish" dog, and only 1 KOA said with changes due to insurance coverage, we would not be allowed to stay in their park even though our dog was the perfect visitor - we can spend our money elsewhere.

Sadly, some areas that have the bans have them for good reason as the areas are known for dog fighting, and the dogs that are involved in that and being bred for that purpose are a definite issue.

Cathy

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, K&J said:

It's not the dogs that need to be banned but the stupid owners that don't know how to socialize the dog or like to have a "vicious" dog.

There are cases of even socialized breeds attacking someone or another pet with little warning or reason. As it happens more frequently with some breeds than with others we get restrictions just to protect the passersby. It isn't very effective to pass laws or make rules that allow only properly socialized dogs. We once owned a malamute that was a big baby, but he was capable of major damage if he did attack someone, as compared to what might have happened with the same occurrence for a mini Schnauzer or Yorkie. For that reason, I do understand the restrictions on some breeds. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

to take it to another level. as to ban this or that dog.

why not ban older rvs? as they are junk and have thingx falling off them. and the peps dump trash everywhere.

why not ban bumper pulls? as just only good for week end camping in the woods.

why not ban everyman with a beard that is more than 3 inches long. as they look scarry.

anything can be baned. but why? not every (*****) in a listing is bad, only takes one to destroy it for everybody else.

i for one ( no dogs right now) as a responsable dog owner treat and train my dogs in a "good" way. and they have love having people pet them.

Our dog has been attacked 3 times by dogs off leash.  Twice, they were a pit bull mix.  A friend on a standard schnauzer form is having surgery on her dog that was attacked by two pit bulls while her dog was in its yard.

I know folks say their pits are loving and all, but I will keep my dog away from anything that looks like a pit bull.  I am glad that parks are restricting some of the aggressive breeds of dogs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

In most cases, RV parks have breed restrictions due to requirements imposed by their liability insurance carriers. One park owner told me his insurance company wanted triple the premium without the breed restrictions. I don't know the current status, but at one time even the very dog centric 4 Paws Kingdom RV park in NC had insurance required breed restrictions.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived