Facebook man pulled and fined for length

GlennWest

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, RickS said:

Yup.....safety equipment like mirrors and bumpers don't get measured in length and width as far as I know.

I was told once upon a time when being carried the smart car is cargo so the bumpers do not count as safety equipment. That's the way I remember it.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Brad,
That's what was meant when I mentioned I was over width with the Smart on the deck. The bumpers as safety equipment on the Smart i think was a joke by Parrformance.  :) The bumpers and mirrors on the truck and trailer (safety equipment) don't add to width and length measurements. 

:)

The mirrors do NOT get counted in the width measurement but the bumpers DO get measured in the length measurement.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

The mirrors do NOT get counted in the width measurement but the bumpers DO get measured in the length measurement.

If you have a grill guard is that where you start? Also does the measurement stop at the body or say at the ladder in the rear? Just trying to make sure so when I measure mine I get it right. Thanks Phil

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

19 hours ago, RickS said:

Brad,
That's what was meant when I mentioned I was over width with the Smart on the deck. The bumpers as safety equipment on the Smart i think was a joke by Parrformance.  :) The bumpers and mirrors on the truck and trailer (safety equipment) don't add to width and length measurements. 

:)

Most definitely a joke, I thought it was terribly funny on my end.

😊

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

So.......why do you think most statezzz limit RV combos to a measly ......SIXTYFIVE FEET (SEVENHUNDREDEIGHTYINCHES>>>>>>>>)

Is it because.......RV units are more........agile than .......

Is it because.....RV drivers have VAST experience with .......Looooong rigs.....

Is it because........ RV's hardly ever drive off the interstate freeways .........

Is it because .......RV operators ALWAYS check for length restricted roads BEFORE driving the RV down the road(s) ........

Is it because .......even a new RV operator could drive rings around a seasoned pro-truck driver......

Is it because.......almost RV parks just LOVE XTRA-LONG RV Rigs........

Is it because...... cops almost never have to deal with Looooong-rigs wrecks......

Feel like tweeting the pres and having him Exec-Order upping the RV length to about .......ONEHONDREDTWENTYFEET (ONETHOUSANDFOURHUNDREDFORTYINCHES>>>>>>>>>>>)

Drive on..........(If you are long and turn sharp.......the tail lights you see might be your own trailer(s))

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

7 hours ago, dblr said:

If you have a grill guard is that where you start? Also does the measurement stop at the body or say at the ladder in the rear? Just trying to make sure so when I measure mine I get it right. Thanks Phil

dblr, we measure the "overall" length of the vehicle, front to rear. If the vehicle has a fixed "attachment" (grill guard or ladder) it gets measured. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

17 hours ago, Big5er said:

Hey Phil,
That's why I said I think because in Canada I "think" bumpers (moose bars) don't count in length measurements (safety equipment). As usual check with the state or province you are in. I also saw in one of RV haulers builds that he mentions the bumpers don't count in length measurements. I'll try and look it up on the government site here.

11 hours ago, Big5er said:

dblr, we measure the "overall" length of the vehicle, front to rear. If the vehicle has a fixed "attachment" (grill guard or ladder) it gets measured. 

Thank you

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived