Facebook man pulled and fined for length

GlennWest

17 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It all comes down to the fact that if you want the big trailer and the long truck to carry all the toys, then you have to take your chances.  Everyone knew going into this ownership and way of towing that they would most likely be overlength.  Some are in the 65-70 foot, some are longer.  There will be a time when someone gets stupid and attracts attention to themselves and the rest of the HDT-RV world.

I don't consider my Smart is a toy. It is my daily commute. Nor did I think I would be nearly 70'. Didn't pull tape on truck when I bought it. Just heard need sleeper to get registered as motorhome which I should. Still my fault. Should have gotten shorter truck

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the truck/trailer in question. I posted to see if he was actually double towing, so we'll see what he says. He say's he's 64'10" now I think so the pinbox being shortened only bought him maybe a 18-24" at most? He wasn't very much over 65' if he wasn't double towing, and that weigh station must have just been looking for someone to cite for anything. 

30623884_2106652822686218_27628513365118

Before he shortened the pin box
30688457_2106660906018743_79260621370074

After he shortened it
31189754_2120577787960388_17790473646406

Some mics pics
31357909_2128504380501062_53619163672283

31363356_2128504287167738_15187662562394

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

5 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

I can't speak for Phil and others who have his job but unless someone is BLATANTLY flaunting the rules and is engaging in some sort of activity that draws attention to themselves I think they the LEO's have bigger fish to fry then the small but growing number of us who tow huge trailers with our HDT's. 

Dave, the problem with the big fish/little fish argument is that there are many LEO's, like myself, that do not answer "calls for service". I do commercial vehicle enforcement and then there are the guys that just do traffic enforcement. We get paid to make traffic stops. Yeah, those traffic guys are kinda looking for speeders and I am looking for CMV's but one fish is as good as another when it comes to any traffic enforcement. 
I get paid to stay busy. I once spent 14 hours on a single truck. All day plus 4 hrs of OT. My activity sheet was a little bare that day but everyone knew what I found so "1 truck" was all I needed to "be busy". I need contacts...warnings or tickets,  30 minutes for a stop or 2 hours. As long as I can say "This is how I spent my day" then all is good. I have 3 major shipping terminals, along with more sand pits and pipe yards than you can count. Finding "trucks" is easy.

And for the record I usually leave real "RV's" alone. That 80 footer was a carnie. He was cutting across my neck of the woods trying to catch up to the rest of the carnival. He shoulda stayed with the group where he could blend in with the other guys.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

4 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Dave, the problem with the big fish/little fish argument is that there are many LEO's, like myself, that do not answer "calls for service". I do commercial vehicle enforcement and then there are the guys that just do traffic enforcement. We get paid to make traffic stops. Yeah, those traffic guys are kinda looking for speeders and I am looking for CMV's but one fish is as good as another when it comes to any traffic enforcement. 
I get paid to stay busy. I once spent 14 hours on a single truck. All day plus 4 hrs of OT. My activity sheet was a little bare that day but everyone knew what I found so "1 truck" was all I needed to "be busy". I need contacts...warnings or tickets,  30 minutes for a stop or 2 hours. As long as I can say "This is how I spent my day" then all is good. I have 3 major shipping terminals, along with more sand pits and pipe yards than you can count. Finding "trucks" is easy.

And for the record I usually leave real "RV's" alone. That 80 footer was a carnie. He was cutting across my neck of the woods trying to catch up to the rest of the carnival. He shoulda stayed with the group where he could blend in with the other guys.

Howdy Phil,

What you have just said kinda follows my thinking that if I just plod along not drawing any attention to myself the chances are that someone like the carnie will get the LEO's attention.  Are there any guarantees to this being true, heck no, but life without risk is mere existence, the problem is defining ACCEPTABLE risk.  So far and until I start to see, read or hear of any real effort being made to get miscreants such as myself off the road I'll motor on again depending on dumb luck and common sense.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

11 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Does anyone see anything wrong with his setup? Thank you for posting pics. That beyond me. Don't see why they stopped him , much less fined him. They would lock us up

That's what I'm saying. If it was the truck/trailer he was like what 67' and some change at the most, that seems pretty crazy that he even got their attention? Perhaps the comment earlier that he was double towing a boat is what actually gathered him some attention. If that's the case though, shortening up the pin box isn't going to help that other than maybe when they measured him they figured out he was over without the boat and he travels that stretch of road a lot he says. So from that point of view it was worth it to him to get under that 65' number so he wouldn't get nailed again. 

Howdy All,

I can't remember his real name but a fellow who goes by "Dirt" on the forum drove a rig like I have never seen before to the first National rally I attended.  Can't remember the brand of truck all I remember for sure was it was a LONG tandem axle truck with a Jeep loaded on its deck, towing a fairly long had to be at least 30 foot travel trailer, behind which was being towed at least a 20 foot long flat deck cargo trailer with toys of some sort on it.  If I remember correctly Dirt lived in Kansas about 200-250 miles from the rally site.  Again if I remember correctly he had been driving-towing this setup for years.

This is Dirt's truck.

DSCF0503-L.jpg

Darned if I can find a photo the two trailers when it was all hooked up

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

8 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I never read on Facebook he was double towing. It was posted here. 

He just responded on the thread. He was double towing a motorcycle trailer so that kind of explains it more why he probably got picked out. That certainly made it easy to see he was over length. That should probably make the guys feel better that are right around 68-70ft that you most likely aren't going to get bothered with unless you really make it obvious like double towing. 

10 minutes ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I can't remember his real name but a fellow who goes by "Dirt" on the forum drove a rig like I have never seen before to the first National rally I attended.  Can't remember the brand of truck all I remember for sure was it was a LONG tandem axle truck with a Jeep loaded on its deck, towing a fairly long had to be at least 30 foot travel trailer, behind which was being towed at least a 20 foot long flat deck cargo trailer with toys of some sort on it.  If I remember correctly Dirt lived in Kansas about 200-250 miles from the rally site.  Again if I remember correctly he had been driving-towing this setup for years.

This is Dirt's truck.

DSCF0503-L.jpg

Darned if I can find a photo the two trailers when it was all hooked up

Dave

His name was Doug. I remember seeing the video on Gregg's channel.

Howdy Dan,

Yup, Doug, is the man I was talking about, quite a setup he has.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

50 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Does anyone see anything wrong with his setup? Thank you for posting pics. That beyond me. Don't see why they stopped him , much less fined him. They would lock us up

Actually Glen, I can very much see why a curious LEO might want to check out this driver on the side of the road.

Now you are approaching this from the perspective of it is just some guy running down the road, hauling his RV and might not be able to afford a high budget setup.

For LEO’s it can easily look like a commercial truck of questionable maintenance, towing an RV with commercial markings on the door, no commercial plate, an partial or obliterated DOT Numbers.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

10 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Actually Glen, I can very much see why a curious LEO might want to check out this driver on the side of the road.

Now you are approaching this from the perspective of it is just some guy running down the road, hauling his RV and might not be able to afford a high budget setup.

For LEO’s it can easily look like a commercial truck of questionable maintenance, towing an RV with commercial markings on the door, no commercial plate, an partial or obliterated DOT Numbers.

I agree,

That old saying a picture is worth a thousand words,

That truck has door markings like near every ole truck back in the day, the pics don't blow up too much but, that writing on the battery box looks like partial DOT MC ID?     As Phil mentions often, if it looks like a duck.

The other thing, on the Good Sam page it showed Kentucky having an 8' width restriction on state roads.      

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

13 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Reckon your tastes and mine different. I don't see nothing wrong with his setup. Some can't afford to fix up trucks like we do.

I get that, however, that truck screams out “Commercial Truck”

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

News, all ours are commercial trucks

So you and everyone on here have door markings, a commercial hitch, and obliterated DOT markings?

When I said Commercial, I mean a true commercial truck.  You would be surprised at the number of folks out there who haul commercial loads with inadequate or no insurance, registration, authority or anything else.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

12 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I better stay away from your Rally's then. You sure won't like my Freightshaker. Paint peeling off the hood. The guy is fixing it up. Know he's building a bed for it. 

Glenn,

That wasn’t passing judgement, it is a fact that IF someone is running a truck similar to that, commercially, they do not tend to do things like adjust brakes or fix things like broken lug nuts, cracked frames, etc.  Sooo if any LEO who is paid to catch offenders, is doing their job, they are going to stop a truck like that if they are given a chance, to at least find out what is going on.

The person who owns the truck could be the nicest guy in the world, but that does not change the facts.

It would not take money to morph that very truck into something that looks a whole lot less commercial.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Not sure why you are making this about you, however, your truck does not look commercial in the ways mentioned about this truck.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Glen,

You are failing to understand that there ARE outlaw or pirate trucks and folks like Phil seem to spot them regularly.     On ANY truck that is not operating in commerce ALL DOT/MC and company name should be covered or removed.     Even shadow numbers should be covered.      

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

This is all very interesting. Length laws are there for everyone. I'm in Nebraska. You see boats behind campers all the time. They go up to South Dakota to the dams on the state line with Nebraska. Not too long ago DOT set up on a Monday afternoon on the Nebraska side.  It was after a 3 day weekend. They pulled over every one that came by. If they were over length they got a nice fine and were not allowed to leave until they were legal length. I believe they had to turn around and go back to SD to  drop their boats. Take the campers home, then go back to get their boats.

Anyways I going to KY in a few weeks. I'm under the limit. I just shy of 60 ft.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 4/29/2018 at 5:03 PM, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

I just now put a tape measure on the Pete, from the front bumper to the center line of the pin its 29 feet 3 inches,

Dave

That is real close to where I am with my freightliner. I don't remember what the pin back is but I'm just shy of 60 ft all together.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Archived