Facebook man pulled and fined for length

GlennWest

Fellow HDTer on Facebook was showing how close his camper is since modifying his pinbox. Well he is in KY. Drove past Truck weigh station, they ran him down. Fined him for over length. Explained he is registered motorhome. Nothing commercial. Stated RV getting out of hand. 2300.00 dollars

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy All,

The nation is broke, the states are broke, sadly I think that just like enforcing the usual traffic "safety" laws have been turned into a universal revenue enhancement scheme so to will the lenght and weight laws be used to protect us from ourselves.  I think the ONLY reason that such laws are not now being freely used to flease the RVing public is because of the vast amount of jobs that are dependent on the RV industry and all of its satellite activities.  If this starts to happen in one state and its allowed with a huge public outcry it won't be long before its business as usual everywhere.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Sorry to be unsympathetic but most of the length laws for vehicles have been on the books for years. If you dont like them petition your legislators to change them. 

And the guys that write the violations have no concern with how broke the bosses are. They get paid by the hour. They don't get a commission or a bonus. Their pay doesn't rely on fine revenue.

The big conspiracy theory just doesn't hold water.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

This was bound to happen.  

I am very happy with my decision to be singled short and total length under 65'.  

Look for the over-width fines to start soon, too.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

6 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Sorry to be unsympathetic but most of the length laws for vehicles have been on the books for years. If you dont like them petition your legislators to change them. 

And the guys that write the violations have no concern with how broke the bosses are. They get paid by the hour. They don't get a commission or a bonus. Their pay doesn't rely on fine revenue.

Howdy Phil,

I have no problem with the LEO doing their job.  But if you are saying that many if not most traffic tickets aren’t written to generate revenue rather then protect folks from harm from that maniac driving 5-10 mph over the limit on that we will have to disagree.  

There was a time when in most of the western States there were no speed limits or they were posted as “Reasonable and purudent”  however after the feds stepped in an forced 55mph on everyone, everywhere those States too became addicted to the easy money.

The RV comunity not just the HDTer is a ripe plumb hanging close to the ground which I believe will become a target for stuffing the State coffers to support more folks who won’t support themselves.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

I tend to agree with Phil. No big conspiracy here, and frequently the enforcement revenue doesn't come close to the enforcement cost. Unless you are dealing with things like speed or light cameras and other unmanned enforcement devices. 

Spotty enforcement is more than likely among various enforcement agencies ex. Kentucky may have had some recent safety issues with RV's and decided to "crackdown", while neighboring Ohio doesn't care. But a month from now Ohio may start enforcement. That is why i cringe every time I hear a statement like, "well I know it isn't legal, but I have never been bothered".

In the case above we also have very little data to make a determination. Go to court if you think the officer overstepped his bounds, or interpreted the law incorrectly.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Hey Big,

Well maybe........"The big conspiracy theory just doesn't hold water."...........but.........I kid you not.......two weeks ago we were headed North out of Baker CA up into lower Death Valley when we came upon a REAL Dr. Pepper truck pulled over by a CHP...........now of course the Dr Pepper truck was NOT "holding water" so I guess you are correct that no conspiracy there.........but the cop had a smile on his face when we drove past........

So Phil........how many Dr Pepper trucks have you pulled over (all of them??)...... how much is the fine for a Dr Pepper bad-boy??

Drive on.............Conspiracy theory just does not hold......Dr Pepper)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Well this caused me to get tape out. Now I don't have a 100' tape. So measurements are from side of Teton. Most accurate would be straight down center. I get just shy of 69'. Measured 3 times. Longest 68.5'. Only way I could be legal is a different truck. Maybe a 61" cab. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

This fellow was towing a paddle boat on a trailer behind the fiver too when stopped. 

Just sayin. May have drawn attention to length. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

14 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

This was bound to happen.  

I am very happy with my decision to be singled short and total length under 65'.  

Look for the over-width fines to start soon, too.

I hear what you saying but those of us that full time don't want an HDT for a daily drive. I have the smallest car in the USA. If I double tow I am illegal, carry on bed illegal. What a we to do. 

2 minutes ago, billr said:

This fellow was towing a paddle boat on a trailer behind the fiver too when stopped. 

Just sayin 

Didn't see that. Oh yes, he was asking for trouble in that case.

15 hours ago, Big5er said:

Phil, I would love to try to get law changed. But that could be a two edged sword. Bring attention to us could be bad. 

I was just looking in resource guide under HDT decision. Click on lengths. Interesting  they show an rv with a pickup limited to 65'. Just under that Truck Tractor limit to 59' trailer and no limit on Truck Tractor. Could we fall in this category? 

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I was just looking in resource guide under HDT decision. Click on lengths. Interesting  they show an rv with a pickup limited to 65'. Just under that Truck Tractor limit to 59' trailer and no limit on Truck Tractor. Could we fall in this category? 

Sure, make yourself Commercial, get the CDL, ITF Sticker, and all the other items for a Commercial rig..

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We were always glad that Red Rover and the trailer came in at 64' 6".  Granted were were usually at 83' with the car on but the one time we were stopped, the Commercial Enforcement Officer had the option for us to drop the car and continue on.

With long trailers (over 40') you don't leave the officer much option but to have a Commercial Tractor come and tow the trailer. 

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

36 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Sure, make yourself Commercial, get the CDL, ITF Sticker, and all the other items for a Commercial rig..

Thank you for this condescending remark. The resource guide stated nothing about commercial. 

Howdy All,

I think it's fair to say that LEO's have their days just like the rest of us, I also think it's fair to say that unless a person is doing something that will attract the LEO's attention other then being a few feet over 65 feet the chances and I repeat CHANCES of being pulled over solely for being over lenght are slim unless it's really noticeable.  I would think that speeding, improper lane change, lights being out or not being used, tail gating, towing doubles WHERE it's not allowed would all get the attention of the LEO before being a bit long. 

I am making an ASSUMPTION here but I think an LEO that is truly interested in public safety would be much concerned with the RV that is obviously over loaded then one that is a tad to long being pulled by a real truck capable of safely handling the load and stopping it in a panic situation.  However as I am NOT an LEO nor do I sleep at Holiday Inn, I could just be guilty of snorting dr. pepper and under it's evil influence.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It is the Leo's remark that was quoted. Rvs are getting out of hand. Got to put a stop to it. This if true concerns me. now I was informed he also had a boat in tow. That was really going too far.

It also depends on where you are.  So many weekend RV'ers in the midwest are pulling their camper- 5th wheel or bumper pull, AND their boat that they are all over 65'.  A crew cab F350 + 35' trailer + 24' boat trailer = you're long....

Marks remark isn't condescending..... Just stated fact.  You want to tow long, get the correct license.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

3 hours ago, billr said:

Just sayin. May have drawn attention to length. 

I figured that there was more to the story.

KY is one of the states that extends the exemption for dimensions to roadways that are STAA designated.

That fine amount seems way too high for one minor charge.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 minute ago, GlennWest said:

He stayed something about a width fine also. Said narrow road. Kentucky fines for wide trucks also? 

Was he also hauling clearish liquid in Mason jars????

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived