Seeking recommendations - northern Nevada

Grand Adventure

I'm thinking about plans and seeking recommendations for the week of Memorial Day, trying to avoid crowds and have an adventure with plenty to see (and film) along the way. Right now, what's coming to mind is a loop across northern Nevada to avoid people before it gets too hot to do so later in the summer. Like generally out across US 50 from SLC to Reno, then back via a more northerly route (generally I-80 looks to be the option, with local side trips). Thoughts? Typical weather? Recommended boondocking sites? Sights not to be missed? Throw it at me!

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

30 minutes ago, SKP038620 said:

Hey Grand     Why not do the  Rt50 and then go North to US 40 for return to SLC.  Drove the 40 in 1965 and a good road

and great scenery  . Winnemuca is a great place to start.     Great travels     jim S

Thanks Jim, but shoot - I'm not even seeing US-40 on a map of Nevada. I-80 goes through Winnemucca - did I-80 replace US-40?

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

19 hours ago, Grand Adventure said:

Thanks Jim, but shoot - I'm not even seeing US-40 on a map of Nevada. I-80 goes through Winnemucca - did I-80 replace US-40?

Yes, it did.  However, according to this Wikipedia article, US-40's western terminus was in Utah and didn't go through Nevada at all.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

10 minutes ago, LindaH said:

Yes, it did.  However, according to this Wikipedia article, US-40's western terminus was in Utah and didn't go through Nevada at all.

Good link, Linda! However, I read that article a little differently. US -40's western terminus was originally in San Francisco. Today it's replaced by I-80 west of Silver Summit (Park City) "resulting in the route being truncated multiple times." 

Fun read!

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

On 4/26/2018 at 11:53 AM, Grand Adventure said:

I'm thinking about plans and seeking recommendations for the week of Memorial Day, trying to avoid crowds and have an adventure with plenty to see (and film) along the way. Right now, what's coming to mind is a loop across northern Nevada to avoid people before it gets too hot to do so later in the summer. Like generally out across US 50 from SLC to Reno, then back via a more northerly route (generally I-80 looks to be the option, with local side trips). Thoughts? Typical weather? Recommended boondocking sites? Sights not to be missed? Throw it at me!

#1.  For $15 download a copy of Days End. lots of boondock spots along that route.  You must be an Escapees member to access the list.  There is a map app on the website which shows all the sites along a route you put in.

#2.  Ruby Lake: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/ruby_lake/  This is a very remote location.  The road from the north is good.  Going in or out from the south was pretty rough in 2013.  Nothing that would keep your rig from accessing.  Just kind of rocky and some washboard.  We drove the route in our 26' Class C in late October 2013, spending the night at Ruby Lake CG.  The low in the morning was 12 degrees.  Kind of chilly.  Beautiful open country.

#3.  South and SE of Elko on SR-227 & 228 looks interesting, in my past online explorations.  I don't remember the details, but there should be some remote campgrounds and boondocking spots. 

#4.  Also SR-228 leads to a NF road that is probably in good enough condition for your rig to access Ruby Lake from that direction.

BTW, instead of all the long distance driving, i.e. from Utah to Reno and back, have you considered just going to the area around Ruby Lake for a week.  It doesn't have to be Ruby Lake, just anywhere you can spend a 3-4 days, move 50-100 miles and spending another 3-5 days.  In each area drive the back country roads, do some hiking, etc, etc.  Much more relaxing than driving spending a night or two and driving again.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

9 minutes ago, Al F said:

#1.  For $15 download a copy of Days End. lots of boondock spots along that route.  You must be an Escapees member to access the list.  There is a map app on the website which shows all the sites along a route you put in.

#2.  Ruby Lake: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/ruby_lake/  This is a very remote location.  The road from the north is good.  Going in or out from the south was pretty rough in 2013.  Nothing that would keep your rig from accessing.  Just kind of rocky and some washboard.  We drove the route in our 26' Class C in late October 2013, spending the night at Ruby Lake CG.  The low in the morning was 12 degrees.  Kind of chilly.  Beautiful open country.

#3.  South and SE of Elko on SR-227 & 228 looks interesting, in my past online explorations.  I don't remember the details, but there should be some remote campgrounds and boondocking spots. 

#4.  Also SR-228 leads to a NF road that is probably in good enough condition for your rig to access Ruby Lake from that direction.

BTW, instead of all the long distance driving, i.e. from Utah to Reno and back, have you considered just going to the area around Ruby Lake for a week.  It doesn't have to be Ruby Lake, just anywhere you can spend a 3-4 days, move 50-100 miles and spending another 3-5 days.  In each area drive the back country roads, do some hiking, etc, etc.  Much more relaxing than driving spending a night or two and driving again.

Thanks Al!! I appreciate the firsthand  beta, and will definitely look into your suggestions.

By day 3, my ADD usually kicks in and I'm ready to roll on. ;) I'm thinking (seldom) 1 or (usually) 2 nights at each stop. I don't like those quick one-nighters, as you feel like you're always picking up and moving on, without any opportunity to explore. Two nights per stop is typically perfect for me. That gives me a full day to explore with a drive day on either side. Unlike full-timers, I only get a few full weeks per year off of work such that I prefer getting as far away from our usual camping zone as I can.

Now, admittedly I haven't planned this out on paper yet, it's mostly just rolling around in my head thus far. With 9 days/9 nights I think I'll have enough for the full round-trip, but if I don't I'll just shorten the loop as necessary. There are enough north-south roads connecting US-50 and the I-80 corridor that I can do so.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

• 1 month later...

Hello Marc,

this is a very late response, but since you are in SLC you can easily return to this part of the world. 

You can catch the Pony Express trail just south if you (start at Camp Williams). Head into the Desert. A Pony Express station every few files. You can follow them all the way into Nevada. 

Wade 

11 hours ago, wnorton said:

Hello Marc,

this is a very late response, but since you are in SLC you can easily return to this part of the world. 

You can catch the Pony Express trail just south if you (start at Camp Williams). Head into the Desert. A Pony Express station every few files. You can follow them all the way into Nevada. 

Wade 

Thanks Wade! That is indeed a great trip, we actually did it back in April:

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Archived