Price of Diesel fuel

Vegas Teacher

Well I have an app called Truckers path where I can check the price of fuel at truck stops. I also call to verify is it correct. So I needed some fuel and was getting ready to drive out to the Valley of fire where the price is usually a quarter cheaper per gallon, before going there I had to run some errands and pick up a retired policeman friend of mine. So on my way to Volvo / Mac TEC I drove past a Murphy's gas station and diesel was 3.05 a gallon. I looked at truckers path and it was 3.45 at Love's and 3.25 at a gas station about 15 miles north of town on I-15 out of Vegas. I called and confirmed prices. I went on to TEC and bought two new cab air bags, cab shocks and the air controller unit, and the little arm that keeps popping off, plus new nuts and bolts for them. My truck has a lot of rust, it did east coast runs in snow and rain when it was in service. 350.00 later I walked out of TEC. So I drove back to Murphy's and had my buddy get out and make sure the Semi would fit under the canopy, the height was not posted on it. We fit fine, now the looks on the faces of the other people getting gas was priceless but for the cost per gallon I was happy to put up with it. Many asked how many gallons I held and quite a few were pretty nice. One person at the pump on the other side kept looking at me and I finally said well I thought I would get a few hundred gallons how are you doing today. (yep that was a run on sentence, but I teach science not English.)

Anyway if anybody else has a Murphy Gas station in there town it is worth looking into......

Happy almost Friday!

In Saint Mary's Georgia, the Murphy and Flash stations are currently $2.82/gal for diesel. Other stations are as high as $3.29, which is the current price at the Pilot. In our travels, the Kroger chain stations (Frys, Dillions, Smiths, City Market, etc.) are often among the lower priced even before the loyalty card discount.

32 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Well I have an app called Truckers path where I can check the price of fuel at truck stops. I also call to verify is it correct. So I needed some fuel and was getting ready to drive out to the Valley of fire where the price is usually a quarter cheaper per gallon, before going there I had to run some errands and pick up a retired policeman friend of mine. So on my way to Volvo / Mac TEC I drove past a Murphy's gas station and diesel was 3.05 a gallon. I looked at truckers path and it was 3.45 at Love's and 3.25 at a gas station about 15 miles north of town on I-15 out of Vegas. I called and confirmed prices. I went on to TEC and bought two new cab air bags, cab shocks and the air controller unit, and the little arm that keeps popping off, plus new nuts and bolts for them. My truck has a lot of rust, it did east coast runs in snow and rain when it was in service. 350.00 later I walked out of TEC. So I drove back to Murphy's and had my buddy get out and make sure the Semi would fit under the canopy, the height was not posted on it. We fit fine, now the looks on the faces of the other people getting gas was priceless but for the cost per gallon I was happy to put up with it. Many asked how many gallons I held and quite a few were pretty nice. One person at the pump on the other side kept looking at me and I finally said well I thought I would get a few hundred gallons how are you doing today. (yep that was a run on sentence, but I teach science not English.)

Anyway if anybody else has a Murphy Gas station in there town it is worth looking into......

Happy almost Friday!

$2.99 Smith's in Pahrump.....Teach, easy on the right peddle to top of Mtn Springs an then kick it out of gear and coast all the way down the hill to Smith's in Pahrump ......you'll save enough to buy flyer and me lunch at the "Ranch".....

On the coast down the hill keep a eye on the ole air Gage......if she bleeds down too far you might recall what happens....

Drive on.......( Cheep diesel......history maybe)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

GasBuddy.com. Used the diesel tab. Truck stops are almost always the highest places to buy fuel. The local stations won't have the high volume hoses, or the slave pump, but time is cheap.

Locally, diesel is priced at $1.21.4 to $1.28.9 per litre!!! Given that there are 3.785 l per US gal, you can do the math.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

15 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

$2.99 Smith's in Pahrump.....Teach, easy on the right peddle to top of Mtn Springs an then kick it out of gear and coast all the way down the hill to Smith's in Pahrump ......you'll save enough to buy flyer and me lunch at the "Ranch".....

On the coast down the hill keep a eye on the ole air Gage......if she bleeds down too far you might recall what happens....

Dolly - I know where it is, thanks for the tip. I probably should have been paying better attention when I was working over there last weekend with Flyer. I am assuming, if you are recommending it I can fit under it without a problem. I am at 13 feet 3 inches on a good day LOL!  

A lot of Murphy stations are located at or near a Walmart, did you know that if you go into the Walmart and buy a Walmart gift card you can use it to get gas or diesel at a discount, last time I did this was around a 5 cents a gallon, so in our large tanks it adds up. Yes the pumps are slow and can only reach one side but if your not in a hurry it saves you some money. I even fit into one in Colorado Springs with our camper....talk about looks!!!!!!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

11 minutes ago, dblr said:

...A lot of Murphy stations are located at or near a Walmart, did you know that if you go into the Walmart and buy a Walmart gift card you can use it to get gas or diesel at a discount, last time I did this was around a 5 cents a gallon, so in our large tanks it adds up...

In my experience it is often a better deal to pay the $0.05 higher price and use a cashback credit card like the one from Penn Federal. At $3.00/gal, 5% is $0.15/gallon. Net $0.10/gallon cheaper than the price with the gift card.

I've used Murphy for diesel many times. If you use a Walmart credit card or gift card, you'll get an additional $0.05 per gallon (gas or diesel). You can get the additional discount by using a non-Walmart credit card IF you buy (or add money to) a gift card using said credit card. 

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

GasBuddy.com. Used the diesel tab. Truck stops are almost always the highest places to buy fuel. The local stations won't have the high volume hoses, or the slave pump, but time is cheap.

Locally, diesel is priced at $1.21.4 to $1.28.9 per litre!!! Given that there are 3.785 l per US gal, you can do the math.

Don’t forget the currency manipulator factor. 1.29 today. C$1.21/l =US$3.55/USgal. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

29 minutes ago, jkoenig24 said:

...You can get the additional discount by using a non-Walmart credit card IF you buy (or add money to) a gift card using said credit card... 

True, but I do not think it will be at the higher cashback rate that may apply to fuel purchases as the gift card purchase will not be identified as a fuel purchase. It will be just another Walmart purchase.

I just filled our HDT the other day at Murphy's in Crossville, TN.  I believe the non Walmart card price was just 3 cents more. $2.609 vs the $2.639 that I paid.  Credit price at the nearby truck stops was $3.119.  ($3.0119 - $2.639 =  $0.3729 less) 

I would normally use my Costco Visa that gives me 4% back on fuel year round.  But, I have a Sears MasterCard from CitiBank that I only use when they offer a really good cash back deal.  The deal right now is 10% on $500 to $1,500 in combined gas stations, restaurants,  and grocery stores each month for 3 months.   

$2.639 X 0.9 =  $2.3751 per gallon.  

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

6 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I haven't found a 5% credit card. Not member of Pen Federal. Well not a all time 5%. Like certain months only

The Sam's Club MasterCard offers 5% back on fuel purchases.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

12 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Teach......I snoozed and we both lose... ..drove by Smith's in Pahrump a hour ago......diesel is up $.10 to $3.09..... 

Making America Expensive AGAIN......

Works good for me though ......EVERYTIME I get too much money I buy some darn toys to add to the collection...

Drive on .....(Too much $$$$ .... two little time)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Howdy!

I filled up yesterday at Murphy’s in Espanola, NM $2.749. It’s the best I’ve scene since leaving Texas on our way north to Alaska. I use GasBudy to find the best prices.

” Happy Trails’

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I tanked at the local Kwik Trip when I got home from the ECR.  $2.849 for #2.  (Trip average was 9.3 mpg)

I was surprised that we only used 1/4 tank of DEF on the whole trip.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

15 hours ago, docj said:

The Sam's Club MasterCard offers 5% back on fuel purchases.

Sam's Club Card is the way to go IMHO... 

- 5% back on Fuel (up to $6K/Yr, and a few small restrictions)
- 3% back on Restaurants and Travel (campgrounds count as Travel!)
- 1% back on everything else 

A big thanks to Nawaa's and Kahanamoku's for cluing us in on this!

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

Where I am at, there are a Flying J and a Loves next to each other. Across the interstate is a Fleet Farm store. Both gas and diesel are 15 to 20 cents cheaper at the Fleet Farm. Only problem is about the time everyone gets off work, you can't get a bike up to the pumps at Fleet Farm.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:53 PM, Dollytrolley said:

Teach......I snoozed and we both lose... ..drove by Smith's in Pahrump a hour ago......diesel is up $.10 to $3.09..... 

Making America Expensive AGAIN......

Works good for me though ......EVERYTIME I get too much money I buy some darn toys to add to the collection...

Drive on .....(Too much $$$$ .... two little time)

DT,

Maverik and Smith’s are usually close, if not the same price.  Maverik has a card that you get .10 per gallon discount, if you tie it to an ATM.

With Smith’s you can get some fairly good discounts if you buy groceries with their discount card.  The difference is that Maverik has no lift on the discounted gallons, whereas Smith’s has a 30 gallon limit.

That equates to 2.95 per gallon for Diesel at Maverik right now.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

1 hour ago, VegasFlyer said:

DT,

Maverik and Smith’s are usually close, if not the same price.  Maverik has a card that you get .10 per gallon discount, if you tie it to an ATM.

With Smith’s you can get some fairly good discounts if you buy groceries with their discount card.  The difference is that Maverik has no lift on the discounted gallons, whereas Smith’s has a 30 gallon limit.

That equates to 2.95 per gallon for Diesel at Maverik right now.

John,

Most months we get 50 cents discount at Smiths on the first 30 gallons and then it drops to 10 cents off for the next 30 gallons but we try to keep topped off every month with those two discounts and it works fairly well. 

The Dollytrolley v 1.0 (Freightshaker) has a pair of 100 Gallon tanks that we keep topped and Dollytrolley  V 2.5 (Diesel Pusher) has a single 100 gallon tank so we keep it topped as well.

Last month we took the DP for a 1,500 mi AZ trip so Dollymamma could scare up some rattlesnakes on some horse trails so we dropped into Parker at the Tribal truck stop and had some $2.45 fuel both directions.

We will likely top off in Fallon on our trip up to Oregon about the time things start getting close to 100f around here soon.

Both Trolleys can make Central OR without fuel stops but with gas buddy we just shop and stop when the prices make sense.

We drive many of the outback roads so we drive 50 - 60 most of the time so our mileage is fair but some of our routes are steep and twisty so that detracts from the mileage some.

Good tankage range is one real advantage that the HDT RV has over smaller rigs.

Drive on..........(Play the tankage game.....)

A bush pilot told me one time: “the only time you have too much gas is when yer on fire.”

But - beware the algae that can grow in diesel fuel sitting in tanks for long time. Take precautions for your region.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived