Parking on an incline

Brad NSW

Campsite parking spot was 6-10 degree nose down.  I chocked tires.  Was worried the whole time.  3 questions:

1. Will 2 big rubber chocks hold the truck if brakes lose air, which is possible, right?

2.  When I tried to start, no oil pressure, so she shut down.  I coasted to level ground and she started fine.  Assume oil pump pick-up in my Freightliner  Cascadia is in the rear and wasn't priming.  Does that make sense?  Anyone else experience something similar?

3.  how bad/risky is it to park for 1-2 days on an incline?

Always looking to increase my knowledge, so any feedback appreciated!

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

1. When applying the parking brake there is no air pressure to the brakes. Parking brakes are spring applied and air release. Service brakes are air apply. Failsafe design....loss of system air pressure equals brakes coming on. 

2. Could be. 10 degrees is fairly steep (approx 17-18% grade).

3. Parking on an incline shouldn't be an issue so long as parking brakes work and engine has enough oil to stay primed.

This sounds strange. Either you are very low on oil or the oil pickup has come disconected in the oil pan. If you think of some of the mountains we drive up and down without losing oil pressure, I can't em agazine a campground that badly leveled.

when I have a tractor on the farm with a bad battery I will park on the steepest hill I can find so that I can bump start it until I get a new battery. They always get oil pressure.

what Porky69 said about the brakes.

36 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

when I have a tractor on the farm with a bad battery I will park on the steepest hill I can find so that I can bump start it until I get a new battery

aka "Delco Hill".;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The oil pressure has me baffled then.  It's happened twice.  Last week at the campground and a couple of months ago, when I backed it into my driveway (steep) . 

On steep hill, nose down...Turn the key, she starts, Oil pressure gauge doesn't move and she shuts down.  Let off brakes and coast to level ground.  Easy start.

Religiously check oil and levels are good.

Thanks for the brake video link Noteven.  It clarified why the "spring" brake can't be impacted by no air pressure!

46 minutes ago, Brad NSW said:

The oil pressure has me baffled then.

It sounds like perhaps your pressure sensor is failing.  Has it happened other times, on level ground?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

If this parking is most of the trucks life then consider some MGM TR-HD springs at the next brake chamber change.  They make a difference.  OEM or 1st tier linings too.  China linings will roll away.

https://mgmbrakes.com/files/6714/2496/9293/5033.pdf

Detroit's not my every day thing, but I swear there was some TIB/Service procedure/something on that.  Google the hell out of it.  Something akin to:

http://dd15troubleshooting.com/low-oil-pressure-codes/

Delco Hill....... :lol::lol:

4 hours ago, Lance A Lott said:

This sounds strange. Either you are very low on oil or the oil pickup has come disconected in the oil pan. If you think of some of the mountains we drive up and down without losing oil pressure, I can't em agazine a campground that badly leveled.

when I have a tractor on the farm with a bad battery I will park on the steepest hill I can find so that I can bump start it until I get a new battery. They always get oil pressure.

what Porky69 said about the brakes.

There was a driver back in the day who would park his R600 Mack in the barn with the fuel shutoff cable  “on”. And the truck in gear. And the brakes “on”. Another truck bumped it...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The symptoms don't make sense.  If the pump isn't picking up oil, it wouldn't fire up that quickly just by rolling to level ground.  It would still take a bit for the pump to prime, if indeed it had sucked air.  

And as mentioned previously, a 6-10 degree grade in a campground would be pretty unusual.

There has to be something else.......:unsure:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I carry a pair of chocks similar to these, just for peace of mind. As I recall mine came form Fleet Pride. 

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

It's only happened twice in 40 or 50 start ups since I've had the truck.  Both nose down inclines (I'd estimate at10 degrees.  I bike so estimate grades pretty accurate).  Soon as I'm level, no problem.

Normal gauge reading: On start up quickly bounces up to 40-50 (10-15 seconds).  Stays there while warming up.   Once warm and running easy, it can settle out between 20-30.  Working hard it seems to rise 30-45.  Never encountered any weird oil pressure reading going up or down 6 degree grades in/out of San Diego.

Maybe some inclinometer Freightliner put in? 

Just has me worried...if I ever get into a situation where I can't coast fwd off the grade, I'd be SOL.

Next time I have it out of the backyard, I'm going to put it nose high in my driveway, let it sit and see if it does anything similar.  Then back in (nose down) and see if I can get it to do it for a third time.  When I parked in both spots nose down, it idled just fine for a min before I shut down...no weird reading on oil pressure gauge during that minute.

Scrap, I'll also do a search on Detroit low oil pressure codes.  Thanks!

Look up “oil pick up tube o- rings” for a 2010 DD15. 

Also look to see if your oil bypass valve is missing on your oil stand pipe inside your oil filter housing. What brand of filter are you using? Oil type?

Double check the specs for required oil pressures at idle and running...  

Desert Miner - Found that too on a search.  It would seem to make sense that if these O-rings are starting to go, when I'm on a steep incline, the oil pump may be sucking air through the higher pair of  O-rings.  When level, they have enough oil dripping on them (or they are submerged) so they don't suck any air.  Make sense?

The posts discussing these say they can start to go after 500K miles.  Mines got 525K on it, so definitely something to have checked out.

I'll check with previous owner and see if they had these replaced. 

Archived