Semi's and movies

Vegas Teacher

Well before I was Vegas Teacher I was Pittsburg Mall Cinema 4 Movie Theatre employee........

Anyway my first job was working the concession stand and tearing tickets. If you went to see a movie in Pittsburg Kanas between April 1st of 1989 and August of 1998 I probably was the kid who tore your ticket.

So yes the movies with semi's or scenes with Semi's of course there was Convoy, Smokey and the Bandit and Black Dog with Patrick Swayze, but one of my favorites was Armed and Dangerous with John Candy Eugene Levy from 1986. Toward the end the show John Candy is stuck in a traffic jam on a bridge and when a Semi truck pulls up next to him, the next 5 to 10 minutes of the movie is hilarious and I still laugh so hard that I cry when I see it. The truck driver looks at John Candy and says hop right up in here Slim....

When it comes to songs it is kind of the same beginning with the same movie names but I love an old song called Phantom 309 I play it on my CD player each time I start out on a trip in the Volvo.

So I know this is a pretty light topic but are there any movies or songs with semi's in them or about semi's or the trucking industry that anybody likes or listens to?

7 weeks of school left for Clark County and me Vegas Teacher.

Later,

Cory Ossana

The song Wolf Creek Pass.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Songs -
Around about 1977, I remember Dad had a cassette that had all sorts of truck driving songs on them.  We lived overseas and did not have a big selection for American music.  [Odd actually as Dad was a Big Band era music lover].  I remember a few songs from that tape and search for them every now and again.  "Give me 40 acres, and I'll turn this rig around..."  :)

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Vegas Teacher,  I live about 5 miles from the real,star of Black Dog, I am of corse referring to Rusty Dewees , I know you never herd of him, he played Junior. I will have to watch it again. I think he drove a dump,truck or cement  truck he probably had no sleeves. 

We had a couple of  bandit cars on our road. One of the kids could have given the bandit a run for his money. 

VT   Good memories  ^ Days on the Road, Convoy and the rest of them.  And don't forget 7 weeks goes by real quick. And wait till you are 71 then 7 weeks flies by like a rocket ship!   Pat 

The Old Sailor

songs:
Gearjammer, George Thorogood (odd none of the truck song lists mention this one)
Highway 20 Ride, Zac Brown Band
the Bandit, Jerry Reed (or anything from the smokey and the bandit soundtrack)

Movies:
Over The Top, Sylvester Stallone
White Line Fever, Jan Michael Vincent (for you cabover fans)
Blacktop, Meatloaf
Duel, Dennis Weaver (childhood favorite)
Maximum Overdrive, Emelio Estevez (horror, but hey, the monsters are trucks)
Vacation, the new one, (gotta count this one for Norman Reedus as the scary/nice guy trucker)

TV:
BJ and The Bear
Movin; On

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Most of the Mad Max movie franchise had semi's of one version or another.... usually highly modified for defensive purposes and not very comfortable.... 

" Fury Road ", I thought had some of the coolest semi's in the Bad Max series. You got to love that tanker.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

You youngsters need a little history lesson. This movie explains how it was done when men were men and not afraid to pinch the waitress on the fanny when asking for a piece of apple pie and a coffee. Humphrey Bogart, George Raft, 1940. can it get any better than that?

They Drive by Night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033149/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A little of the dialogue:

Joe Fabrini:Give me a cup of coffee.

Cassie Hartley: Anything else?

Joe Fabrini: Yeah, what else you got that ain't poisonous?

Cassie Hartley: I don't know. I never eat here.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

24 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

You youngsters need a little history lesson. This movie explains how it was done when men were men and not afraid to pinch the waitress on the fanny when asking for a piece of apple pie and a coffee. Humphrey Bogart, George Raft, 1940. can it get any better than that?

They Drive by Night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033149/?ref_=nv_sr_1

A little of the dialogue:

Joe Fabrini:Give me a cup of coffee.

Cassie Hartley: Anything else?

Joe Fabrini: Yeah, what else you got that ain't poisonous?

Cassie Hartley: I don't know. I never eat here.

Oh no, in the spirit of Jeffs link:   The Big Bus - Bus Driver Bar Fight

"I'll do more than that!  I'll call you a Double-Clutchin' Lane Changin' Road HOG!!"

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

You guys just made me start a couple of pandora stations for phantom 309 and wolf creek pass. 

I might have to start a Jerry Reed one too. 

Im going to have to see that armed and dangerous clip  

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Nice film clip from armed and dangerous   End is en espanol  

i noticed that ford hardly took any damage until the grill broke out towards the end of the bumper car scene.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

On 4/9/2018 at 4:48 PM, Sculptor said:

I'll call you a Double-Clutchin' Lane Changin' Road HOG

This has been a fun thread........

How many of you out there have had an automobile / Truck / Tractor that you had to double clutch. I learned how to drive my grandpas 1946 Chevy ton and a half grain truck with a hydraulic bed, 3 speed with "granny" gear as he called it. I learned to to double clutch on this truck too.

If anybody has ever seen one of these trucks you know they have a gas cap with a neck on it, now if you got one foot on the running board and one foot on top of the gas cap you could hoist yourself up and over the side of the bed in back, right behind the driver. The sides on the old grain truck were about 3 feet tall, and we used to play in the back, with the sides off it made an awesome flatbed. Anyway if that cap was a little bit slippery bad things could happen and did..................

One day when I was in my formative middle school years grandpa had washed and waxed his truck including the gas cap. I put my right food on the running board and my left foot on the gas cap. When in the process of throwing my right foot from the running board and over to the bed of the truck my left foot slipped off of the gas cap. Now my right leg had already cleared the side of the bed, so I did not fall to the ground, however that might have been better. I came down very, very, very hard on my young and maturing B@!!s. I peed blood for two weeks. I should have gone to the doctor I am sure, but I developed 3rd nut that day, I think I split one in half. I have never hurt so bad in my life. So those of you who are seeing this play out like a movie yes you are correct, it was just like that, but stop laughing......

On the subject of music, it is not a trucker song but has Tex Ritter "The Deck of Cards" it is an oldie but a goodie. 

Also on the topic of Oldies but Goodies listen to John Wayne "America why I Love Her"

Convoy was always my favorite movie. I am 3rd generation trucker and I cant count how many generations we were farmers. My dad and uncle drove long haul as did I for a number of years. My grand pa on Dads side had a trucking company Hauled grain and cattle. He also farmed. My grand pa on my mothers side was a farmer. He had a couple trucks similar to the one above. I now have both of them.47 and 54 chevys. The 54 only has 35,000 original miles on it. Worst thing I ever did was take the box sides off. They got ruined in the shed I put them in. 

Z5ikSrAl.jpg

yWBZi3gl.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Here is a trailer for a classic suspense flick,    https://youtu.be/SutDTIhbQ2g   I saw this with my dad when it was first on TV around 1970 or so.   I couldn't understand "why".   Like a Hitchcock movie that's the whole point of the movie i suppose.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

After all the talk about movies, Saturday night after driving from Vegas to Fontana California me and the D.W. watched Smokey and the Bandit. The DW had never seen it, so we rented it on VUDU and laughed for 2 hours. How young they all looked, and it was so much fun to listen to them talk on the C.B.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Archived