Boycott Arizona Market Place - Yuma

CapeMayAl

This past Saturday we went to the Arizona Market Place.  They wanted $1 each to "get in".  Its not the $1, its the fact they want to charge to buy!

This only happens on the weekends.  Thursdays and Fridays are free!

Explanation - we have to pay security, clean-up, blah-blah-blah.

So, vendors are cheated from weekend sales if people won't pay the $1 and customers are cheated if they can only shop on the weekend.

So, I say - stay away.

Al Smith

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do you say that its a First world problem?

I'm assuming sarcasm, but just in case - it might not seem like a big deal to you, but is a principal.

We're on the road 24/7 365. I've never paid to shop.

You want to pay - go ahead.  Me, not a chance.

But, that's me.  Everyone does their own thing.

Skp #98641
My Email

7 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

So , you pay an entry fee to shop at any mall or plaza in this country , right ?

No, but have paid the dollar to shop at the Yuma Market Place.  Not a big deal.  If the dollar charge is a deal breaker for you, then that is what you should do.  By charging the dollar, it may eliminate some people who go there just to look around.  If the place goes broke by charging the dollar, then so be it.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

8 minutes ago, CapeMayAl said:

Why do you say that its a First world problem?

I'm assuming sarcasm, but just in case - it might not seem like a big deal to you, but is a principal.

We're on the road 24/7 365. I've never paid to shop.

You want to pay - go ahead.  Me, not a chance.

But, that's me.  Everyone does their own thing.

Yes, it was sarcasm.  The dollar charge is not a big deal for us, but if it is for most people, then the place will probably either go broke, or drop the charge.

OK.  LOL.  Sorry for the inference.

No, its not the $1.  If there was really something there we needed and couldn't find, then maybe.

It just pisses me off.  I think my feeling is appropriate.

I live in resort area in NJ.

Tourists, summer visitors, etc increase the economy.  Maybe they're missing the point.

Skp #98641
My Email

33 minutes ago, CapeMayAl said:

...I live in resort area in NJ.

Tourists, summer visitors, etc increase the economy.  Maybe they're missing the point...

I have been to Cape May, NJ many times. While they do not charge an entrance fee, it often costs more than $1.00 to park just to visit the shops or a restaurant. The same is true in many tourist areas. If you don't like the $1.00 fee at Arizona Market Place, you will absolutely hate the $5.00 parking fee at the Webster Flea Market located near the Escapees Sumpter Oaks campground. Despite the fee, the place is packed just about every Monday (which is when it is open).

4 minutes ago, trailertraveler said:

I have been to Cape May, NJ many times. While they do not charge an entrance fee, it often costs more than $1.00 to park just to visit the shops or a restaurant. The same is true in many tourist areas. If you don't like the $1.00 fee at Arizona Market Place, you will absolutely hate the $5.00 parking fee at the Webster Flea Market located near the Escapees Sumpter Oaks campground. Despite the fee, the place is packed just about every Monday (which is when it is open).

Another case of supply and demand at work.

1 minute ago, pjstough said:

Another case of supply and demand at work.

Yeah, you're right.  Just venting.  Maybe this wasn't the best place.

Did you like CM?  We lived outside of North Wildwood by route 9.  Crazy traffic along the coast from AC south to CM.  I think most of them leave their driver's licenses on the other side of the NJ/Phila bridges!  ROFL.

We moved to Galloway in November and try to stay away from touristy stuff in the summer - even though I need a Curly Fries fix in the spring and fall.  LOL

Right now in Yuma heading north to LV this week. I'll miss the spring fix!

Yeah, S&D a b....h!

Al

Skp #98641
My Email

When we visited Arizona Marketplace, we always visited on Friday anyway as that way the crowds are less. Let the people who still work pay the extra $1. It might be the reason for the fee is to get us retired (cheap) people to do our shopping when the working folk can't go?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

It might be the reason for the fee is to get us retired (cheap) people to do our shopping when the working folk can't go?

Makes sense to me. Plus, I'm all for avoiding the weekend crowds.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Cape May Al, 100% with you! Went there earlier in the season before they started to charge on the weekends. Is it now a buck a person? No mention of it in their weekly ad in the Shopper.  I personally call it the Arizona Junk Meet. Putting up with all the barking dogs walking or in baby carts, merchandise loaded with wind blown sand, etc. As far as paying security, etc. , this owner has the food concessions, beer taps,  high dollar rent from the dwindling number of vendors. He also solicits the vendors for prizes to give away from the number on your entrance ticket stub. Several of the bigger vendors in there have a stick and brick shop in the Yuma area. Wally's World for instance has a building with more stuff in it just east of Araby RD. near the junk meet. Open seven days a week, don't have to pay to enter or wait for Thursday thru Sunday. And some of the vendors develop a bad attitude as the season stretches out.  I used to park on the south end before the Marketplace shrunk and there was a vendors gate. One day going in, a very friendly Hispanic guy stopped us and said "that will 50 cents a piece".  I told him "all I was going in for was a bag of kettle corn and would be right back out". So he said "ah, go ahead". While at the kettle corn vendor I told her about the situation and she said anybody coming in here mentions the lousy 50 cent charge, " I take 50 cents off the bag price". On the way back out a couple of minutes later at the gate, the guy said "you were quick", thanked him and dumped out about 1/4 of the bag on his table. Now there are several kettle corn vendors scattered over the Yuma area and I no longer even go there for my corn fix.

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

When we visited Arizona Marketplace, we always visited on Friday anyway as that way the crowds are less. Let the people who still work pay the extra $1. It might be the reason for the fee is to get us retired (cheap) people to do our shopping when the working folk can't go?

Kirk. Sure I want to shop there. But suppose I can't go there except for the weekends. Buttom line, why should I have to pay a entrance fee to a store to shop there. Now I know it's not a "store", but a bunch of little stores. Would you pay a mall just to buy from their vendors?  I doubt it. 

Skp #98641
My Email

34 minutes ago, CapeMayAl said:

Would you pay a mall just to buy from their vendors?  I doubt it. 

I would not, but as I mentioned, I wouldn't pay them either. Just down the road from us we have a huge flea market, the Canton TX, First Monday Trade Days and I have paid to park there numerous times over the years. Paid parking amounts to pretty much the same thing as an entrance fee, but it is only per vehicle. Trader's Village in the Dallas area has charged a buck admission for anyone not staying in their RV park for many years. They seem to stay in business so it seems not everyone is as stingy as you and I.  ;)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, CapeMayAl said:

Would you pay a mall just to buy from their vendors?

No, I would not pay to shop in a mall, but then most malls charges rental in the neighborhood of $55-150+ per square foot in rental. I sincerely doubt that flea market charges a fraction of that to the SMALL vendors that are resident there. Yet, the basic costs are the same. Someone has to cover the cost of cleanup, security, utilities, etc. You do not want to pay the cost then fine, don't, but a boycott is pretty silly IMHO. Some of us don't mind paying a small fee for things, you clearly do (I can hear your pennies squeaking from here :) ) but I think you are wasting your time in as much as not of us feel the same and likely will not change. 

My two cents (oh, wait! I should hang on to them)!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

sad. today just one dollar,

next year $5.00

then?

last rv show i went to. cost me $10usd to park.

another $12.usd to get in.

so as prices go up less peps will go.

but then i am cheap.

some trade shows have stopped doing there shows cause less peps go. just me so $22.usd just to get in.got family = cost per head.

small water $4.usd fountans turned off.

prohibited to bring any food or drink in.

cost can hurt

56 minutes ago, packnrat said:

sad. today just one dollar,

next year $5.00

then?

last rv show i went to. cost me $10usd to park.

another $12.usd to get in.

so as prices go up less peps will go.

but then i am cheap.

some trade shows have stopped doing there shows cause less peps go. just me so $22.usd just to get in.got family = cost per head.

small water $4.usd fountans turned off.

prohibited to bring any food or drink in.

cost can hurt

I wouldn't call you cheap.  I refuse to pay to get in the door to buy something.  I mentioned the Costco, etc., but they're membership stores.

RV Shows - Nope, won't pay, never have, never will.  I call a dealer and get tickets.

Skp #98641
My Email

Went there once and found out that most of the vendors are local business and  I can go to there store anytime without paying a fee. I also hate the RV Resort that I am in. They charge $$$ to stay there, have a pool party and charge you $5 for a hot dog. Also have a happy hour every Fri and charge to get in and you have to bring your own alcohol. Nickel and dime to death. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Archived