Older batteries in a 2013 truck

Sculptor

This is a basic battery question.  It happens to be about our 2013 Volvo also, but the answers would apply to batteries in general.  Just one of a few threads I found:

The dealer tested the batteries 750 amps.  Any time we climbed in the truck it always started and no problems I could tell.

Someone may have left a switch on last weekend.  Today it will only turn over once then stops.  I plugged in the shore power and turned on the inverter.  (It was not plugged in all winter but started every 2 or 3 weeks and run for 15 minutes or so)  Hoping the inverter can bring the batteries up.

The battery cables had corrosion that was cleaned off last fall.  Today I noticed the corrosion is back and a bit worse than it was.  Both positive and negative terminals.

question: Now that the charge on the batteries has been drained does that mean they won't hold a charge anymore?  I'm not sure when they were installed.  2013 VNL 450K miles.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a crap shoot..... The batteries may come back and be fine.  Let them charge and see.  You can also let them charge then take them out of the truck and have them load tested.  Usually the truck dealers have better deals on batteries than the auto stores.  

As far as the cables, are they the factory original sealed ends or are they aftermarket?  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Kevin,

I had the same experience when I stored my truck at a facility without electricity.  Was able to jump it, got it home and put it on a 10 amp charger and they came up and did well for another year.  They were five years old at the time.  I’d say put a charge on them and see.  BTW my inverter/ charger stays plugged in all winter.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

As far as the cables, are they the factory original sealed ends or are they aftermarket?  

Thanks Jim, I think the cables have terminal loops on the ends, but there are a few gaps before the insulation.  Not really sure if they are factory, but they should be no more than 5 years old.  I assume the batteries are original.  I forgot to look for labels.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Unlike deep cycle lead acid batteries a complete discharge of starting batteries rarely damages them unless a complete discharge is repeated frequently or the batteries are simply wearing out from age.  As suggested, charge each battery individually with a 4-stage intelligent charger that has a boost cycle to remove sulphation that builds up on the plates.

At an age of 5 years, it is expected that your batteries are declining.

As for the oxidation of the terminal connections, this is normal but increases when a battery starts "gassing out", which is an indication that the batteries are beginning to weaken.  Remove the terminals and clean with baking soda and water.  Apply a corrosion inhibiting coating of wax, grease or coatings specifically made for this purpose.

Start saving for battery replacement soon. 

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I had the same experience when I stored my truck at a facility without electricity.  Was able to jump it, got it home and put it on a 10 amp charger and they came up and did well for another year.  They were five years old at the time.  I’d say put a charge on them and see.  BTW my inverter/ charger stays plugged in all winter.

Thanks Carl,  one of those, "I know better but I'll hook it up later" stories.  I should have done it.   🤓🤓  I hooked up my old car charger and after 30 seconds it pops off.  I guess 4 batteries at once is too much?  

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

3 minutes ago, RandyA said:

Start saving for battery replacement soon. 

Thanks Randy, I had a trip to the dealer planned today but didn't quite make it.   I'll see how shore power affects the batts, and get a price from Volvo tomorrow.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

6 minutes ago, noteven said:

When you park a truck for extended periods disconnect the batteries. 

Thanks Noteven,  is turning the disconnect off enough? Or cable ends also?

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

First remove and clean all cable connections. A good slow charge will sometimes bring back weak batteries. In a parrell  connection such as four 12 volts hooked in like politary, all batteries should charge if the connections are clean. Where the problems starts is dirty terminals and increased resistance does not allow all four batteries to charge equally. 

ppbajell.jpg

Volvo VNL / Missouri Titled RV

Ved12 425HP

Super 10 Spd

37ft KOA Fifth Wheel

Jeep Rubicon Toad

There is a site called Battery University that is very informative about all types of batteries.  This section of lead-acid talks about what happens to lead-acid batteries and why starter batteries will not take as many cycles as deep-cycle batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

3 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

There is a site called Battery University that is very informative about all types of batteries.  This section of lead-acid talks about what happens to lead-acid batteries and why starter batteries will not take as many cycles as deep-cycle batteries.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/lead_based_batteries

12 hours ago, Showme said:

First remove and clean all cable connections. A good slow charge will sometimes bring back weak batteries. In a parrell  connection such as four 12 volts hooked in like politary, all batteries should charge if the connections are clean. Where the problems starts is dirty terminals and increased resistance does not allow all four batteries to charge equally.

Thanks guys,  I have some experience with car batteries, I've learned to react to situations like this but not why things are the way they are.  

UPDATE: sitting all night hooked up to shore power did not work.  I have the manuals out and am doing searches for further info.  

I called a local battery supply store, prices are about average I think.  https://www.batterytree.net

Now on my list O' Stuff :  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&catalogId=11652&langId=-1&pageSize=12&beginIndex=0&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&pageView=image&N=89+778209&ipp=48&Ntt=battery charger&searchTerm=battery charger&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ns=P-SalesRank|1

I have been a few hours in the manuals but can't find a reference to shore power battery charging.  Also have not located another inverter switch in the cab.  

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

On your first post, you stated that you used the inverter.  I reckon you know that an inverter makes 120VAC.  A converter charges batteries.  Yours may be a converter/inverter, don't know.

19 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I plugged in the shore power and turned on the inverter.

You should put a DC meter on your batteries and then turn on a converter.  If the voltage does not show that the voltage is rising, get a battery charger and put it on the batteries.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

20 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

On your first post, you stated that you used the inverter.  I reckon you know that an inverter makes 120VAC.  A converter charges batteries.  Yours may be a converter/inverter, don't know.

Thanks Chet, Of course you are right on that.  I assumed the charger and inverter were the same unit.  I have not really found any connection since starting my search.  I pulled out the batteries since the acid needs cleaning anyway.  My old old charger can't even handle one battery so I will be off to Northern Tool in a few minutes.      BTW I called the dealer service and confirmed that the shore power should automatically charge the main batteries.   

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

What model inverter do you have?  It should be easy to look up if it has a charge section in it. If it does, you can confirm it working with a meter. If it is putting out a charge and the batteries are not taking it, then you know where you stand :(

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

In regard to storing without available electricity, in years past when I was storing in the winter in a cold climate I just took the batteries out, took them home and kept them on Battery Tenders all winter. 

Now I store in the winter in a warm sunny place, so I use this Battery Tender solar controller with a small solar panel (about 15" x 15"). Works fine in Arizona to keep the batteries up.

A LOT easier than removing the batteries!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I had them all out anyway so we loaded them in the OTHER Volvo and got them tested at the Volvo dealer. Only one was better than 50% the rest were about 10% life left. 

4 new batteries with hardly a second thought     

🤠🤠🤠🤠

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Exide 950 amps  $65.95 each.    He said they sell a lot of them. :)

43 minutes ago, HERO Maker said:

Those batteries should have been in the 70 to $85 range.  Lots of good discounts at the dealers.  Depending on your location.

I always figure anything over 60 mos on a battery is a freebe but then your luck can run out at any time and not in the most convenient places.

We are missing the ECR (no choice) but plan our first 2 trips as an RV this summer.  I want it to be trouble free so that helped make my decision.  I doubt I could buy a better battery for more money even.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

1 minute ago, chief916 said:

Kevin...if they have a Transource parts and service up next to you I would check for batteries there.  I bought 4 maintenance free 900 CCA last year for $65. Apiece at the shop in Wilson.  They buy by the truckload.

Ben

Correction....950 CCA.

14 minutes ago, chief916 said:

Kevin...if they have a Transource parts and service up next to you I would check for batteries there.  I bought 4 maintenance free 900 CCA last year for $65. Apiece at the shop in Wilson.  They buy by the truckload.

Ben

Thanks Ben, I have them now, but this snow today stopped my progress.    HaHa

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Archived