Perfect camping coffee

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, oldjohnt said:

Here's what we use when dry camping, it requires NO electricity, NO Generator running, NO Battery and Inverter use, WORKS GREAT 

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000015167-Camping-Coffeemaker/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=sr_1_1/141-9155492-5732724?ie=UTF8&qid=1521643357&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+camping+coffee+maker

John T

X2 on the Coleman Camping Coffee Maker.  My wife loves her coffee and this makes a good cup (or so she says).  As an advantage, it will make 10 cups in case you have friends/family camping with you...

Regards,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, rm.w/aview said:

Just finished a cup of fine tasting coffee from our new AeroPress and now understand your reference to the acidic level & taste of perc coffee, & even auto drip coffee, compared to the AeroPress. Our taste test now reveals a new Light Weight Champion in the World of Camp Coffee, and I don't use any water for clean-up. The paper towel that I use to wipe the AeroPress clean is still available for another use after a quick shake-out, in reality 3-4 uses for that towel before tossing. Super happy with this new addition regarding taste, clean-up, and the amount of space it doesn't take up. Cheers!

I'm so glad it worked out for you as it did for us!

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

• 4 months later...

I caved and purchased an AeroPress. I made coffee in it and in my french press. I couldn't really tell any difference. I repeated the test for a friend. He thought he could detect a slight difference but didn't think that one was better than the other. In my opinion, the only advantages of the AeroPress is quick brew time and easy cleanup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tests from a major consumer magazine Oct 2017

Chemex Pour-Over Brewer $46
Coffee brewed in the Chemex earned high marks for complexity, acidity, and overall quality in our taste tests; the filter minimized the presence of solids in the cup. If you like an aromatic, balanced brew with sweet, juicy undertones, this one’s for you.

Bodum Chambord  8 Cup French press Coffee Maker $40
Without a paper filter, this coffee holds on to its natural oils, creating a full-bodied taste. The mesh filter holds back most of the grounds, but small, powderlike coffee grounds (called “fines”) can remain in the brew, creating a somewhat viscous cup.

AeroPress $30
The AeroPress produced a high-quality brew, with good body and aromatics but just a touch less complexity. The company claims that—unlike a French press—this method leaves “no grit in your cup,” but our tasters found that the coffee sometimes contained a bit of fine coffee silt.

Melitta Pour-Over Brewer $10
This brewing method earned high marks. Our tasters found the pour-over coffee had full, juicy flavors that weren’t too aggressive, with a smooth feel and sweet taste.

Drip
Cuisinart PerfecTemp 14-Cup DCC-3200 $100
Scoring slightly lower than other methods in complexity, smoothness, and overall quality, the drip method is hard to beat on convenience. Our tasters noted a higher astringency, and the fruity, somewhat sweeter notes of the coffee were masked by a sharper acidity.

Edited by Tom_M

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

1 hour ago, JimK said:

P&P,  you missed the point.  A great many of us camp without hookups and do not want to use more battery or generator than absolutely necessary.  I use my Krups version of a Mr Coffee at home.

You are right . I did miss that 'no power' point . Sorry for my assumption . :(

Now that I think of it , we have made coffee with it , using only our propane stove . Maybe that counts ? ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Another vote for the Aeropress. Makes the best coffee possible. When I want a full pot I just boil A pot of water and pour it through the filter holder sitting on top of my drip coffee pot. Makes exactly the same coffee as the drip machine.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5RL used for full-timing for several years. Sold

2114 Sunnbrook 25' RL pull trailer for summer camping and short trips.

2007 Chevy diesel 

Aeropress works well for me but cowboy coffee tastes good also if you make it with fresh beans and clean water.
For water I purchased The on the Go water softner. https://flipboard.com/@maxgoodz/top-20-best-kitchen-faucets-review-2019-5sbak7a9y
As far as the beans, I normally just grind them before the trip and store them in Nalgene pill bottles. They come in a few different sizes. Five days past grind will hurt the beans a little bit, but I think it's better than carrying an extra piece of kit just to grind. But if you really want to bring a grinder, the Porlex or Hario hand grinders would be a good choice.

Edited by cowolter

Prep work for good off grid coffee:

-1250 W of 48V Solar Panel

-800 AH House Battery

-MS2812 Inverter

-RVWATERFILTER STORE - series of filtered water

-Burr ground coffee

-Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe, 10 cup

Guilt free Thermal Carafe of coffee for two... Never needing to say I'm sorry, for the power it consumes.... 

(And, the above was tongue in cheek. As I admit, I carry an old copper clad percolator coffee pot too... And I could see, where the mentioned presses would probably yield a better brew then ur percolator. But grew up watching the coffee perc up into the glass top on the lid, and it remains of of my childhood, so we'll use that from time to time when making coffee over a fire, or even our stove top in the coach... Maybe 4-6 times a year:)!)

To each their own... And may the brew be with you:)!

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Don't over complicate. We searched for years to find an old dripolator like these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4ncWWqjno

Or for just pics: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dripolator+coffee+maker+stove+top&qpvt=dripolator+coffee+maker+stove+top&FORM=IGRE

I now collect these and have about 8 of them on display over the kitchen cabinets.

They are the original drip coffee makers on the stove top. We have a French Press but prefer the old aluminum stove top dripolators. I have been told they are rare because the WWII war effort needed all spare aluminum, and the modern housewife of the time wanted the latest appliance, the electric percolator! New ones are available in stainless steel in all sizes. Here are some for sale with prices: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=stove+top+drip+coffee+maker

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Single cup  Kurig. Water, press button, coffee taste great. My camping coffee was pot of water over a campfire  throw in coffee when boiling .Boil it till you think it is done. Drain out grounds as well as you can  drink.... I will take the single cup kurig  any time.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

In my tent camping days, my "coffeemaker" consisted of a pot for boiling water and a white sweat sock. The grounds went in the sock that was then dropped in the water. When the coffee reached the desired strength, the sock was removed, turned inside out, and rinsed for the next use. Of course it didn't stay white for very long...

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Rich,

We do too. Keurig at home and Lynn bought a single cup tiny one for our tiny fiver. The dripolators are/were for boondocking and blacktop boondocking. We haven't done generators for our RVing yet. But may yet. But we now have a house and RV. So electricity is never an issue these days. But when we only have a stove or campfire, we have our favorite dripolator.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:31 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

In my tent camping days, my "coffeemaker" consisted of a pot for boiling water and a white sweat sock. The grounds went in the sock that was then dropped in the water. When the coffee reached the desired strength, the sock was removed, turned inside out, and rinsed for the next use. Of course it didn't stay white for very long...

Needless to say, but the sock does not sound very sanitary or desirable.  Years ago on one of my canoe camping trips I thought I would make my fortune with a coffee "bag".  It works for tea but never caught on for making coffee.  I have seen commercial coffee bags but they are rare and I have never tried them.

7 hours ago, JimK said:

Needless to say, but the sock does not sound very sanitary or desirable.  Years ago on one of my canoe camping trips I thought I would make my fortune with a coffee "bag".  It works for tea but never caught on for making coffee.  I have seen commercial coffee bags but they are rare and I have never tried them.

The sock got boiled with every use, and thoroughly rinsed after use. It was basically just a cotton "bag". Noting unsanitary about that. What material was your coffee "bag" made from?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 1 month later...

Another alternative that i picked up at Target a few days ago:

Java Concepts Pour Over

It can be used with a Keurig or heat water in a kettle.

No filters to mess with and makes coffee in about the same time as the AeroPress.

Tom
—————————————————
Minneapolis, MN

2 hours ago, Tom_M said:

Another alternative that i picked up at Target a few days ago:

Java Concepts Pour Over

It can be used with a Keurig or heat water in a kettle.

No filters to mess with and makes coffee in about the same time as the AeroPress.

Nice!

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

I have tried the pour over funnels with screens.  There are a couple of downsides.  The screens let through too much solid material.  They are also difficult to clean.  If you use a screen type coffee maker like the one for Target, it works much better to also use a filter.  Again that removes the solids and makes cleanup easy.  Of course, if you use a paper filter, then the screen is of no value.  So you might as well just use the melitta funnel.  Melitta makes funnels of different sizes which can be used for a single mug of coffee up to the quart sized one that I recommended.

I use a drip grind and have not noticed any solids in the brewed coffee. I'm sure that how the coffee is ground would make a difference. I buy the already ground coffee, usually Trader Joe's French roast.

Tom
—————————————————
Minneapolis, MN

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm also searching for the best variant to brew of camping coffee and I do not know which one to choose. We became happy owners of a compact camper that we finally purchased this year. We dreamed for so long with my husband about for own mini travel trailer. Indeed, we had to save for a long time to get it. Frankly speaking, if not our son who helped us we would have to collect for many more years. When we started to keep an eye on our desired trailer 10 years ago, the prices were less other, so we understood that with every year our goal is moving farther and farther away from us. In the end, we found a perfect affordable variant for our family at https://www.crowsurvival.com/pop-up-truck-campers/. But unfortunately, this year's circumstance beyond our control because of which we had to postpone our trip prevented us to start our travels.

Edited by MaxiMarry

My mom was CHERMAN. The only way to make coffee was buy the cheapest and perk coffee pot at night. Sat in the pot  overnight. Then in the AM, put it in a saucepan & bring it to a FULL boil. THEN it was ready to drink.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

If you like the Aeropress but miss your Keurig, then try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQE9MI4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if American coffee is too bitter and you like the European or SE Asian coffee with crema then try this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YBTVVD5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second one requires electric power, the first only hot water.
As for the Nespresso, they sometimes are on sale for much less.  Amazon is pretty expensive at times.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich