Perfect camping coffee

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Pieere said:

The best part of waking u;p is Folgers in your Cup in the old style stainless steel pot on an open wood fire!

Thought this thread was referring to camping, not Glamping! LOL! At home I use a Krups coffeemaker, if the power goes out I heat water on the gas range and pour it through a filtered unit on top of the coffee mug! 

FRUGAL LIVING AT IT"S FINEST! The Only way to Live Right!

Edited by Pieere

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

23 hours ago, Pieere said:

The best part of waking u;p is Folgers in your Cup in the old style stainless steel pot on an open wood fire!

40 minutes ago, Pieere said:

Thought this thread was referring to camping, not Glamping! LOL! At home I use a Krups coffeemaker, if the power goes out I heat water on the gas range and pour it through a filtered unit on top of the coffee mug! 

FRUGAL LIVING AT IT"S FINEST! The Only way to Live Right!

Oh, I forgot I can make the coffee taste exactly like the way the Expensive restaurants do!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Anyone tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Coffee-Brewer-K-Cups-Anywhere/dp/B01GQE9MI4

Absolutely no clean-up, toss a K-cup and no need for electricity, just hot water.  I use a KRUPS espresso machine at home and am so spoiled that I normally take that in the RV with me, worth firing up the genny for a few minutes to get a good cup.

1 minute ago, jpcoll01 said:

Anyone tried one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Coffee-Brewer-K-Cups-Anywhere/dp/B01GQE9MI4

Absolutely no clean-up, toss a K-cup and no need for electricity, just hot water.  

I have not seen that before. Pretty interesting, actually.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT
YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050 (26')
2014 Toyota Tundra SR 4x4 Extended Cab long bed 5.7L V8

26 minutes ago, dartmouth01 said:

Oh, and FYI if you are interested in trying different methods of the Aeropress:  http://nordiccoffeeculture.com/what-is-the-best-way-to-brew-aeropress-coffee/

I personally still use the upside down method with a stir and 2 scoops, but I may experiment with some of the other methods at some point.

I still have to try and be upside down method, especially as that will prevent some of the coffee from seeping through the filter while it steeps.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

We have had the metric one available in Canada for 4 years now. My Aeropress coffee turns out best when I use a semi fine medium grind of tawny medium dark roast infused with fairy farts. It must be stirred with Asian grown chopsticks. The water must be exactly 199.5F at sea level. 

I made this ^ up...  :D

The real key is to make coffee strong enough to float a mule show and enjoy it black 

Great channel by the way Marc. Subbed for a while...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 minute ago, noteven said:

We have had the metric one available in Canada for 4 years now. My Aeropress coffee turns out best when I use a semi fine medium grind of tawny medium dark roast infused with fairy farts. It must be stirred with Asian grown chopsticks. The water must be exactly 199.5F at sea level. 

I made this ^ up...  :D

The real key is to make coffee strong enough to float a mule show and enjoy it black 

Great channel by the way Marc. Subbed for a while...

Appreciate it! I'm filming an episode right now about the weight benefits of filling RV tires with fairy farts.

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

The easiest method is a simple melitta type coffee cone filter.  My filter is full sized so I can make a single mug sized serving or a full thermos.  I use a regular cone paper filter (really, really cheap at Costco) so the only clean up is a quick rinse.  Making coffee directly into a quart thermos has lots of advantages.  The second or third cup for each of us remains hot.  The thermos will keep the coffee hot and sealed from the air so it tastes fresh hours later. 

My filter has a long extension tube so it stays upright in a regular narrow mouthed thermos bottle.  I got mine years ago for about $5.  Here is an internet example, but way too expensive.  I am sure a longer search would yield a cheaper version.

https://www.fishpond.com/Kitchen/RSVP-Maunual-Drip-Coffee-Filter-Cone-for-Carafes-or-Thermos/0053796800262?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=ps&utm_campaign=US&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImJbB1oWF2gIVBFgNCh2V6gOFEAYYAyABEgJxofD_BwE 

I suffer from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux desease).  My son knew the acidity of coffee bothered me and I missed having my morning coffee.  He must have done some Internet research and gave me a cold brewer as a gift years ago. I find the cold brewed coffee to be much less acidic and very "smooth". In my opinion the flavor, if you start with the right beans, is superior to hot brewed and very easy to drink black.  It can be brewed in the fridge or at room temperature without using any power.  You would just need to course grind beans in the store if you don't want to use electricity to run a grinder while boondocking.  Then the only energy you will use would be to heat the coffee to drinking temperature. That could be done in a number of ways while dry camping. 

My wife and I now use inexpensive 2 QT mason jars with SS filters, like this one on Amazon.  She drinks regular and I drink decaffeinated.  We let it brew 24-36 hours depending how strong we want it.  

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

33 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Nice video... How does the percolator, non-electric, rate here among the coffee fans. 

Thank you! For some a percolator is fine. Not so for me, for it takes what is already coffee and re-brews it, making it rather acidic.

Edited by Grand Adventure

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT

Campfire any kind of a pot, add water and coffee to your taste bring to boil separate grounds and have a good cup of camp coffee.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

3 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Campfire any kind of a pot, add water and coffee to your taste bring to boil separate grounds and have a good cup of camp coffee.

You forgot the egg shell.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

When I was discharged from the Army and my wife and I moved into our first house, we went to my parents house one weekend to finishing retrieving the items I had left stored there. While we were pulling out my camping and hiking gear, my wife suddenly called out to me that I had left a dirty sock inside my aluminum cooking set! I started laughing and explained to her that the originally white cotton sweat sock was actually quite clean, but had been my "coffee maker" for at least 5 or 6 years while camping. I put the ground coffee in the sock and tied it with a loose knot before dropping it into a pan of hot water. Once the coffee had steeped long enough, I just dumped the grounds out and rinsed the sock until the next batch. Back home, despite numerous washings, not surprisingly the sock remained permanently stained. Later on while prepping for our first camping trip together, my wife made sure I remembered to bring the "coffee maker sock". :)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

You forgot the egg shell.

A egg in the coffee is a good thing.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

30 minutes ago, richfaa said:

A egg in the coffee is a good thing.

An egg shell neutralizes the coffee acid and helps settle the grounds.  I would never put an egg in coffee.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Many people do. Both of my grandfathers did .Said it was good for your health.I don't  see  why not but I never did. We camped with a person who did that every morning. We put eggs in many things why not Coffee.

42 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Thanks, I was unaware of this acidic reaction. My wife also has GERD that Jim mentioned earlier so my idea of getting a percolator was shot down, even with the egg shell addition (she doesn't care for them anyway). Thanks for putting the AeroPress back on the front burner for us as the French Press does make a mess. There's now a taste test looming in the RV. Also liked that coffee grinder in your video as a replacement for our larger aged one (the Amazon order is getting larger as I keep adding to the list). One final like is how you fade your scenes when editing, really makes for an easy to watch video. Cheers ;)

Appreciate it! I'm lazy and fades are easy. ;)

Marc Guido
Cottonwood Heights, UT