Jegs Tools

SuiteSuccess

Anyone have any experience with tools from Jegs?  Looking at a ratcheting chain hoist 1-2 ton.  If they are junk suggestions?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

No experience with Jegs.

The below hoist from Northern Tools I purchased a few years ago to use once or twice. As it turns out I've used it a lot and still works like new.

I have no interest in NT, just a customer.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200693585_200693585

Rick

US Army 5th SFG (Retired)

"To Liberate the Oppressed"

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, no money left, a cigar in one hand, a whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a helluva ride!!"

I have been happy with the overall quality of the products stocked by both JEGS and Summit Racing, their biggest competitor. Northern Tool is generally good, the one I would be careful with is Harbor Freight. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Thanks Rick and Jeff.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 hours ago, beyerjf said:

I have been happy with the overall quality of the products stocked by both JEGS and Summit Racing, their biggest competitor. Northern Tool is generally good, the one I would be careful with is Harbor Freight. 

Short story about Harbor Freight.  Back in the boat building days, we were doing some hurricane insurance work on a cruiser that had partially sank.  There was a genset that had been mounted above a drain valve/plug in the bilge of the boat that needed to come out.  I bought a cheap Harbor Freight 1/2 impact gun knowing I was going to run it underwater in a salt water oily slug that was pure nasty.  I was damned if I was going to put a Snap On tool into this gunk.  The HF did the job, and is still working......

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I too have a Harbor Freight story. A buddy of mine embarked upon a home improvement project requiring a masonry cuttoff saw. He bought one at HB and proceeded to abuse it to the point the switch at the handle wore out. He replaced that with an inline switch along the power cord. Then one of the bearings gave it up. He took it out went to a bearing company, bought the replacement and finished the job. Anyone need a slightly used :P saw?

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Haven't used your specific Jeg's tool, but in general they sell decent quality stuff.  Their target market is weekend racers and shadetree mechanics that also buy race car parts from them, and they are good for that level of use.  Professional mechanics are going to buy Snap On, not Jeg's.  But for the frequency of use any of us will need, perfectly good quality.  That said, I NEVER buy the bargain basement electrical tools.  Spend the money for a name brand like DeWalt and such.  I have had great luck with cheap air tools, just not electric. 

My story on that:  way back in the day when we were traveling and selling parts on the hot rod show circuit, I had my buddy the tool guy order me a couple of cases of sawzalls to sell as a joke.  We sold them as a "top chop kit, only $39.95".  Which got a lot of laughs and actually sold a handful.  Then one day back at the shop I needed a saw and my DeWalt wasn't handy so I grabbed one of the "top chop kits" to saw off the stainless exhaust pipe on my dually.  Burned up three of those "kits" to cut one pipe.  So no bargain basement electrical tools.

Hot Rod,

Had a chance to work with a friend on a project this weekend.  He lives and breathes quality tools, he has a wall full of Snap-On.  Some tools I couldn’t even pronounce the name, lol.  Must say fell in love with his 1/2”  20volt Snap-On torque wrench.  Now I don’t really have a use for an $800 torque wrench but may end up with a Milwaukee if momma takes pity on me for my upcoming birthday and I whine enough.  Oh, and thanks for the Jegs comment.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Harbor Freight story: 

I bought a 1/2 inch Hammer Drill from Harbor Freight and used it to drill into cinder block, on my block wall to put in small masonry screws, and it did a passable job. So just last month I started the dog room in my garage. I bought a brand new 5/8 inch masonry bit from Home Depot to put some Tapcon Screws down in the concrete garage floor. I drilled out the hole in the 2 X 4 wall with my 5 / 8 wood bit in a normal drill then hooked up the Harbor freight drill and went to work. Made sure it was set in Hammer mode and pulled the trigger. Two minutes into drilling the drill started smoking, then the motor caught on fire, right after I noticed smoke. 29.95 was quite a deal I thought for this hammer drill. I went back to Home depot and paid 125.00 for a hammer drill made by Ridgid. I couldn't be happier. It drilled 8 more holes and never flinched as it did it. I have all Ridgid tools in my garage. I know if you are brand loyal, you love your brand. I love Ridgid for the lifetime warranty. I bought a rechargeable tool kit 10 years ago, I just had them replace the original batteries for me last month and they did it for free. I also have a 12 inch sliding miter on their miter saw stand that folds up, contractors 12 inch table saw and all kinds of other tools. I am not a fan of Ryobi though. I had their tools back when the one + system was blue and yellow, not bough any since they switched to neon green and black. I do have one Dewalt tool it is a really nice router. If I could build the semi out of wood I would have it done already, love wood working and carpentry, I am just not a mechanic. Owning a rental property has made me learn a lot of carpentry skills and my dog room is coming along really good.

Later,

Cory O

Archived