HomeSweetRV

16 hours ago, whj469 said:

I am glad that they stop discussions on God, guns and politics! This, to my understanding, is a forum about RVs and RVing mostly. There are lots of other forums where you can discuss God, guns and politics.

I really wish there was a like button here. 

EDIT: I should clarify myself. I think there should not be discussion of guns in a political sense, however, discussion of guns as it relates to me traveling in an RV should be welcomed. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, whj469 said:

I am glad that they stop discussions on God, guns and politics! This, to my understanding, is a forum about RVs and RVing mostly. There are lots of other forums where you can discuss God, guns and politics.

And, yet, you felt the need to comment on a thread about censorship, which has nothing to do with RV's and RV'ing.  There are lot's of other forums where you can discuss censorship.

Like I said, it's just human nature to want to share one's thoughts.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I am not aware of firearms being on the taboo list. Politics and religion are purely philosophical. So is pro vs. anti guns. Those discussions and comments are, understandably, off limits.

IMHO, discussing elements that impact the RVer lifestyle here is quite apt... even if it may not apply to every RVer or fall within every persons personal belief system.

The "argument" that guns don't apply directly to RV's is quite true, though. However, that argument can just as easily be applied to discussions on computers, internet, workcamping/hosting/voluneering, medicare/health insurance, cellphone plans, taxes... all the way down to sharing favorite recipies.

All of which have dedicated forums that may be better suited for such discussions, however, those additional "RVer lifestyle" elements "here" contribute to the community culture of the forum that makes it such a valuable resource to those... who in "most" part... share the same basic life view of freedom and adventure. 

If a topic of discussion doesn't fall within your personal belief system, it's human nature (so no "faulting" anyone, per se) to feel defensive, speak outwardly against it, or more commonly... approach a topic with some level of passive-agressivenes, but we all "do" have the option and ability to keep our keyboards to ourselves.

Likewise... if a poster happens to be showing their a... um... "colors", we all have the option not to feed into it. Easier in principle than in practice, but hey... let's face it... what fun would the world be without diversity. ;)

Well said Yarome.

We've discussed guns related to RV security here on SKPs forums many times without issues save the few times a newbie comes in trolling. As the rules also state, let the Admins handle problem posters and scab advertisers. We DO have non RV forums by choice here of the members at the time they were created, like he Veteran's forum I worked to get started wit Mark and the other vets here then, and now. We've discussed shooting sports and where ranges are etc. Or the gun laws in every state for transport. All very Important to serious RVrs who cross state lines. One I wrote and has been published on many other RV sites, with my permission, is:

"Guns in the RV, Tactics, and Alternatives"

In it I cover defense in an RV, some of which is applicable whether armed or unarmed.

That article is on my website here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id85.html

There is no polarizing in that article. Teaching weapon safety and all USAF ground weapons, firing and repairing them, as a professional USAF Combat Arms Instructor, was my career field for the last 20years of my 27 year career. I go out of my way to tell folks not to buy or not buy guns based on my article, but to make informed decisions about security. Deadly weapons are not restricted to guns. Baseball bats, tire thumpers, knives, permanently disabling sprays that cause blindness are all deadly weapons when used against a human being. So knowing the laws when traveling across state lines in an RV is not politics, just RV Security.

If one does not like the subject skip it. The admins are the moderators, some of the members admonishing other members would be out of line as well. If one can't choose not to read what they don't like as an accountable adult, life will be hard in all areas.

We have forums here divided into RVing forums first, then specialized by RV type forums, For sale, and the one for non RVing subjects: Other Subjects, and there one catch all called "Other Topics."

Lifestyle topics are inherent when one is a Serious RVr.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

22 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

....but a private, for-profit business. 

That's rather disheartening. Other than the forum (which is free to the public) I don't take advantage of a single other "club" service or resource. Yet, I pay my yearly membership dues to support "club" efforts to preserve RV'ers rights, the lifestyle and to help ensure that, as stated by "Escapees RV Club", the goal of providing "a total support network for all RVers" is sustained. I know I'm not the only one that does that.

Paying my club fees to increase the bottom line of a "for-profit business" or, in some small way, contributing to the general knowledge base of a club sponsored forum intended to attract potential customers to do the same doesn't sit well with me.

Of course, the original assumption I made about the "club" may have been mistaken, but that's entirely on me and shouldn't be taken as any kind of criticism toward SKP's.

On 3/10/2018 at 10:24 AM, HomeSweetRV said:

... with their own bias though. 

On that... there is, IMHO, some merit. There are always guidelines in place for forums, but it's incredibly naive to believe that those guidelines are not, to one degree or another, interpreted or acted on with some level of personal bias by those that administrate them. It's simply human nature to view things through a personal frame of reference and belief system. It's practically unavoidable... if a person wants to admit that to themselves or not.

It's the very rare individual that can put themselves outside of their own perspective and make judgement calls dispassionately. 

That "is" however, and without dispute, the owners and/or administrators right to do as they see fit.

15 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

Looks like they need better censorship here LOL.  No, that wasn't necessary at all . Just had to say something 🤣 na, just had something to say 😉

no problem,

my real skin is getting thinner, cuts easly now.

but i am not " thin skined"

you can call me anything...

just do not call me late to dinner 😀

10 hours ago, Yarome said:

Politics and religion are purely philosophical. So is pro vs. anti guns. Those discussions and comments are, understandably, off limits.

Great post Yarome. Understandably, opinions are set and strong, so waste of time to discuss? 

Pro and anti anything is polarizing from the get go, just the term says it all. I'm not pro life or pro abortion for example. I am pro choice. That doesn't make me pro abortion or anti life. 

Personally, I learn a lot from the other side of the hedge. Especially on controversial issues.  Helps me understand how people came to form their strong political opinions, causes me to look on to it further for understanding.  I draw the iine at name calling, insulting and bullying but I do like to hear both 

This might interest you, a couple of good ones I've read. 

"It would be nice also, I can’t help thinking, if everyone—not just patients—was less certain of being right all the time. We would all get along better."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fighting-fear/201402/why-do-people-hold-their-beliefs-so-stubbornly

According to a new study in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, unfalsifiability is an important component of both religious and political beliefs. It allows people to hold their beliefs with more conviction, but it also alows them to become more polarized in those beliefs. 

https://arstechnica.com/science/2014/12/why-do-we-cling-to-beliefs-when-theyre-threatened-by-facts/

Anyways, some RVers like the average human like to discuss things beyond their RVs and recipes. With each other. Around the campfire, and on RV forums. So, here we are, discussing Other Things.thanks for your insightful input. 

17 hours ago, Chalkie said:

EDIT: I should clarify myself. I think there should not be discussion of guns in a political sense, however, discussion of guns as it relates to me traveling in an RV should be welcomed. 

That could go political real quick. Straight to the different state laws and you're into the politics. 

16 hours ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

A good editor is necessary to keep things on topic and civil.
When he/she edits your topic it's a good thing.

When they edit my post, it's censorship.

:lol:

Good one!  😁 love that. 

Isn't it a pity that adults would need censorship monitoring our discussions, because we cannot monitor ourselves? And thats why we need the police. 

2 hours ago, packnrat said:

no problem,

my real skin is getting thinner, cuts easly now.

but i am not " thin skined"

you can call me anything...

just do not call me late to dinner 😀

I would not call you anything i wouldnt like to be called myself. Its a good and simple ruke to follow with all fellow humans, and every Religion has its version of 'the golden rule. But hey, let us stay right away from that topic. 

21 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Very true. Our world seems more and more to be dominated by the more radical thinkers of any opinion on most subjects. 

My sense is that you might be interested in the articles posted in the links above Kirk. Here's another morning read...

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067169/how-your-brain-makes-you-hold-contradictory-beliefs

2 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

I would not call you anything i wouldnt like to be called myself. Its a good and simple ruke to follow with all fellow humans, and every Religion has its version of 'the golden rule. But hey, let us stay right away from that topic. 

sorry, i was not saying you were.

i was just rambling on.

life is good, it is/ was a sunny dsy,

due to my work hrs i am just waking up.

I agree with you completely but there has been posts regarding guns in the past and it can get political fast. I carry a handgun with me when we RV, always. In fact my Concealed Handgun License has become a License to Carry Handgun. Seems we in Texas are permitted to open carry.

8 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:
14 hours ago, RV_ said:

If one does not like the subject skip it.

8 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

Do not share your view if it is opposing, only if you agree? 

Sometimes when I try to clarify a person's idea, it seems I am trolling. I get that. But I still try to

understand.  

I don't know where you can take my very literal words "don't like the subject" ie, guns, movies, as saying if you don't like my take on the subject. They are not the same.

I also taught civilian classes a week long three hours daily with 250 rds of live fire. I have had older ladies come in and when I ask to see their guns in the first class, pick it up with two fingers like it is infected.  At the end of the course they can rapid fire 2 shots in 3 seconds in a 6 inch circle at 20 feet.

Here I have found folks say they don't like guns and don't like reading about them pro or con. Some folks have PTSD from a mugging or killing close to them and in their presence. These folks need to be accommodated but also if adults need to avoid the threads with any mention of gun/guns/knives/self defense/best opinion of the type and caliber of gun for different uses, then they should avoid them, not disrupt a good thread with no issues. A long distance silhouette shooter will need a completely different gun from a slow fire competitor to a combat competitor to a good plinker.

Like I put in my Terms of use and disclaimer for my website "This site is directed at reasonably mature people of any age and if you're not among them, life will be tough."

Put another way:

"I didn't worry about disagreeing with you for the reasons you stated, nor being read wrong. Or reading yours wrong. But if you read mine as I read yours and read any part wrong, based on reading into what you read, as you want to read the meaning, and not reading past experience in reading what was read, as the right read to what you read, and then I read anything wrong as well, reading mine would possibly result in my reading yours wrong, by reading too much into it.  But if we read it right, can re-read it again to read into it what was written to be read in reading it in  the first reading, right?

© RV Roadie/Derek Gore 2003.  All rights reserved, three rights make a left.

;)

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well,

I'm not much of a game player on my computers and phones. But there are folks who spend hours of enjoyment playing them. Live and let live is my motto. Welcome to the Escapees forums! Many of us have been sharing here as long as I have, right about 18 years. Our group respects each other, although sometimes it can take a while to fir in. It's worth the effort I think.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

20 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

That could go political real quick. Straight to the different state laws and you're into the politics. 

Not so. As long as you are discussing the laws. When you start discussing whether or not you agree with them then you are getting political.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Good point CHalkie.

Home sweet rv,

I actually do detest the 70 mile speed limits here having lived in Germany from Jan 1990-Jan 1997 when the Autobahn had no speed limits. My opinion and 5 bucks can get you a cuppa today. My opinion is immaterial, the speed limit is still there and violating it gets me a ticket if caught. But I actually would like the speed limits on all controlled access divided highways to be unlimited here too. Then the folks who loudly proclaim they will not obey the rules to wear helmets on motorcycles, the drunk drivers, the people who drive in the passing lane at or below the posted limit, and folks passing on the right would then be off our roads permanently, with likely no difference in innocent injuries or deaths.

http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2018-05.html

If I want the speed limits changed I have to go to the representatives in town, the county, the state and/or the federal office/s of primary responsibility. No one is censoring my rage/fear/anxiety/inebriety, just not faster than the s;peed limit.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Oh yes indeed. Think you're living in the land of the free? Think again...about all the things you cannot do freely without government approval or permission...for whatever reason...buy a car, drive a car, drive your RV  build a house, build a garage on your property, add a room to your house, go fishing, leave or enter the country, start a business, fly on a commercial plane, get married or divorced, take drugs, leaving children at home under a certain age,  collecting rain water on Co. buying permanent markers or spray paint, friendly bets over $2000, can't even run a streetwise lemonade stand! Other jobs as well... https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/10/03/nearly-two-in-five-workers-cant-do-their-jobs-without-government-approval/?utm_term=.04a8d949d56b 

This could be a whole new topic! 

http://www.libertyiowa.com/things-you-cant-do-in-the-land-of-the-free/

Archived