And so it begins...HDT home, ECR 2019, destination full time.

PaHunter

That is a beautiful truck Pa. Now what are you going to name it. For some reason 'Tweety' jumped right to mind.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pa, I send my congratulations as well, nicely done!

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

10 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

That is a beautiful truck Pa. Now what are you going to name it. For some reason 'Tweety' jumped right to mind.

Brad

Well.....there has been some debate as to the name for the truck.  The wife did not like my first choice, so we will see.

Bumblebee, tweety,...not sure yet.

Chris  :ph34r:.

Sandpiper 379 FLOK, Volvo 2012 730.

20180525_081811_resizednumber1.jpg

Well,

Anybody with a Mustang in their avatar may want to consider ole yeller 

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

There are Two 2011 Volvo 730 already converted with Smart Car beds on them for sale at Kansas RV Ctr.  These are consignment units so I would think there is room for negotiations.  

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

I'm not 100% sure but I THINK they are Greg Shields trucks. At least there was one of his there the last time I went to pick up parts.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

10 hours ago, Drift said:

There are Two 2011 Volvo 730 already converted with Smart Car beds on them for sale at Kansas RV Ctr.  These are consignment units so I would think there is room for negotiations.  

Sure, for negotiations, but I don't believe they will come down 95k from their price.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 12:07 PM, HERO Maker said:

It looks like one is Greg's and one is RVH's.

Nope, both were built by RV Haulers Canada.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Qh46mPGl.jpg

So we picked up our HDT. Now to get it set up with the hitch and wired for trailer and brake controller.

The trip out was uneventful, the return trip in our new HDT, not so much. Left the dealer, and hit a rest area, maybe 100 miles from the dealer, parked used the restroom, walked the dog. We returned to the truck and it would not start, the dash would light up, but nothing from the starter. Called dealer, he said not sure. Called for roadside assistance they came out hit it with a starter button, fired right up. Took it to their shop, and one wire on the alternator was just inserted with a few  strands of wire. They put a ring on the end of the wire, reconnected and it is starting again. Although a few  times on the way home, it did seem to lag starting, maybe losing prime ? Will fire it up today and see how it goes. rest of the trip was ok, just worn out, about 2100 miles in 63 hours. Today will consist of cleaning the cab up a bit, removing some bugs, etc.

• PaHunter changed the title to And so it begins...HDT home, ECR 2019, destination full time.
12 minutes ago, PaHunter said:

Qh46mPGl.jpg

So we picked up our HDT. Now to get it set up with the hitch and wired for trailer and brake controller.

The trip out was uneventful, the return trip in our new HDT, not so much. Left the dealer, and hit a rest area, maybe 100 miles from the dealer, parked used the restroom, walked the dog. We returned to the truck and it would not start, the dash would light up, but nothing from the starter. Called dealer, he said not sure. Called for roadside assistance they came out hit it with a starter button, fired right up. Took it to their shop, and one wire on the alternator was just inserted with a few  strands of wire. They put a ring on the end of the wire, reconnected and it is starting again. Although a few  times on the way home, it did seem to lag starting, maybe losing prime ? Will fire it up today and see how it goes. rest of the trip was ok, just worn out, about 2100 miles in 63 hours. Today will consist of cleaning the cab up a bit, removing some bugs, etc.

Welcome to my world, or better known at the new to me truck world.
I would get a road side assistance plan, I have Good Sam, but there are many others.

Sorry to here about your troubles, I would have the batteries checked, if indeed it was undercharging they may be bad, I'm going to check mine before the bed build. Nothing worse than a great looking truck that would not crank😃, or build air😭.

I for one always leave my truck running at the rest stops, keeps the cab cool or warm for the dogs, and no worries about starting, just carry a couple of spare keys, Karen and I have one incase the one of us looses or leaves there's in the truck.

Glad you made it home and hope to see this great rig at the national rally this fall.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Roger,

Wish we could make the National Rally, but not in this years plans. We will be making it back next spring for ECR.

I plan on checking the batteries, and a few other items. And we have Good Sam roadside assistance, we had talked and the dealer is going to reimburse us for the roadside call. Which was very nice of him.

33 minutes ago, PaHunter said:

Roger,

Wish we could make the National Rally, but not in this years plans. We will be making it back next spring for ECR.

I plan on checking the batteries, and a few other items. And we have Good Sam roadside assistance, we had talked and the dealer is going to reimburse us for the roadside call. Which was very nice of him.

That's good to hear that your dealer is going to help you with this, mine is standing behind the sale, way behind the sale, as no help, they stated it's sold as is where is, but mine didn't break down on the way home from the dealer, just on the way home from the ECR, but you can bet that that large drom box will have a few spare parts in it before the next long trip, including my Snapon tool box.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

39 minutes ago, PaHunter said:

Roger,

When we bought ours we drove like you did but many of those miles I was being followed by the DW in our car.  We were fortunate no roadside problems though.  CONGRATS!!  It's a big deal for those of us with not so much HDT experience.

Sorry to hear of the troubles.  Did you use Good Sam?

A quick search and a quick read, looks like mixed reviews between Good Sam and Coach-Net.  

http://www.hhrvresource.com/search/node/roadside assistance

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

That's good to hear that your dealer is going to help you with this, mine is standing behind the sale, way behind the sale, as no help, they stated it's sold as is where is, but mine didn't break down on the way home from the dealer, just on the way home from the ECR, but you can bet that that large drom box will have a few spare parts in it before the next long trip, including my Snapon tool box.

Roger

Hi Roger,

P/M sent.            Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

5 hours ago, Sculptor said:

When we bought ours we drove like you did but many of those miles I was being followed by the DW in our car.  We were fortunate no roadside problems though.  CONGRATS!!  It's a big deal for those of us with not so much HDT experience.

Sorry to hear of the troubles.  Did you use Good Sam?

A quick search and a quick read, looks like mixed reviews between Good Sam and Coach-Net.  

http://www.hhrvresource.com/search/node/roadside assistance

We did not use Good Sam this time, we contacted a local shop and they helped us out.

Congratulations, Chris!  She looks real good!  I love that front bumper!

We chose to go with Coach-Net for roadside.  They and Good Sam both have pluses and minuses.  Check with each in the areas where you will be traveling most to see who will tow an HDT and who will not.  We found Coach Net to have better coverage for us.  YMMV.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

4 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

We chose to go with Coach-Net for roadside.  They and Good Sam both have pluses and minuses.  Check with each in the areas where you will be traveling most to see who will tow an HDT and who will not.  We found Coach Net to have better coverage for us.  YMMV.

Thank you. We currently have Good Sam, but will check out Coach Net also.  Have Directlink on order, as well all the stuff to do the Jackalopee. Then we need to get the hitch mounted, ugh. So much to do, but we will get it done.

6 hours ago, Av8r3400 said:

Really like your truck. I am an odd ball I assume. I don't like the goose bumpers. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

46 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Well, I am wondering what the difference is in a Moose bumper and a goose bumper? 
I'm not sure which one I have on my truck.

Roger

Height above the ground. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived