MH or 5th wheel?

Lani

Our Class A diesel is driven 2200 miles, then  sits in an RV park for 3 months with one or two start ups to reposition slides. No driving. It's then driven 2200 miles and sits in the yard for 7 months, few start ups, no driving. One more month in a RV park in winter and one month on the road. 

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Go for as much DP as you feel comfortable handling (financial and physical) if you want to full time.  While our 37 ft is ok, I do wish we had gone with the 40’.  

When we "upgraded" to a 35' with toad I wish we'd stayed with the 24' without a toad. We lost a lot of freedom with that "upgrade". I'm sure glad we drove Historic Route 66 before the change as we would not have been able to park at many places where we had stopped in the smaller rig. Museums and Diners don't tend to be designed for big rigs.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Go for as much DP as you feel comfortable handling (financial and physical)

Not everyone agrees with this view. We chose a gas coach of 36' so that we could afford to start with a new RV and kept it for 14 very happy years. On rare occasion, it would have been nice to have had more space but that was only when we had guests. When health got into the way and we had to stop fulltime life we were very happy that we lowered our standard to burn gas because it left us with the financial ability to buy a home-base for cash. Had we spent the money for diesel that would not have been possible? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:44 PM, 2gypsies said:

I think you'd be surprised at how many women do this after their spouse dies.

I'm sure there are some, even though in several years of full timing in 30 different states we have yet to meet one.  I'm not saying we haven't met some that live in a TT, fiver, or MH full time.  But of those few none actually travel in them down the road but rather use them as cheap apartments.

It sounded like the OP was actually thinking about traveling.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 4/22/2018 at 5:13 AM, FL-JOE said:

I'm sure there are some, even though in several years of full timing in 30 different states we have yet to meet one.  I'm not saying we haven't met some that live in a TT, fiver, or MH full time.  But of those few none actually travel in them down the road but rather use them as cheap apartments.

It sounded like the OP was actually thinking about traveling.

I met a very nice lady solo traveling in a DRV 5th wheel (not a light weight) a week ago at a rally in Havasu.  I didn't ask her age, but she probably could have been my mother and I am 46.  While I agree it is not a usual occurrence, it does happen.  She was very spry and enjoyed traveling in her rig.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Hi welcome to Escapees.

First of all find out if you can reverse a 5th wheel into a parking spot. Most people can learn how to do this but there is the odd person who just never gets the knack. There are RV schools about and at a push a truck driving school might help you with a reversing only 1 day course. NB A long wheelbase truck trailer is easier to reverse than a RV. I have driven both. But there is not much difference. 

Then find out if you can live with having at least a one ton  pick up truck as your daily driver. NB with bigger 5th wheels you will be into dual wheels on the rear and a much heavier truck. 

There is not a huge difference in the amount of hassle in setting up a 5th wheel compared with separating the toad and setting up the MH UNLESS the MH has hydraulic jacks. If I knew I was going to be moving a lot say every few days I would definitely have a MH with hydraulic jacks. Setting up a 5th wheel with manual scissor jacks every few days will get old very quickly. 

There are 5th wheels with power jacks but setting up the 5th wheel involves disconnecting the coupling and that is often still a hassle.

If I was happy with a small living space and I knew I was only going to move two or three times a year then a small 5th wheel makes sense. Move a lot then I would have a MH. 

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Archived