RV Mattress Best Choices

whaler1987

We really like our sleep number mattress.  It is very comfortable and even better, it is very light.  It came OEM in our DRV, but you can buy the RV version mattress direct from sleep number.  It does require 110 volt power to air up the mattress, so if you are a boo docked you will need an inverter to make adjustments (or run the generator for a minute while the adjustments are made).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

My favorite answer: It depends! We tried a sleep number and didn't like it. We tried a thick memory foam and didn't like it. What suits us is a regular firm mattress with a 1 1/2" memory foam topper. So just like which floor plan is best, the answer is whichever one suits you.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We replaced our rv mattress 10 years ago with a regular mattress that was made to fit our RV bed.  It was only $100 to make it to our measurements. Unfortunately the store we bought it at no longer does customer orders.  I have heard pros and cons about sleep number and memory foam mattresses. Price is a consideration also.

We bought a 3" memory foam topper at Costco for our mattress a couple of years ago a love it.  When researching the toppers I read the key is density measure: "Select the density of your memory foam. Density refers to the weight of one cubic foot of memory foam; this is proportionate to the level of “memory” your topper will have. Higher density memory foam mattress toppers conform better to body weight, provide stronger support, respond to body temperature more efficiently and are more durable than the less dense models. Most people find that a memory foam mattress topper with a density of 3 pounds suits their needs perfectly, although those with body and joint pain may want a density of 4 pounds or more." Source

We are getting ready to replace our mattress again and though haven't made up our mind which way to go did find RV sized mattresses for competitive prices on  Overstock.com

We like the bed-in-a-box memory foam mattresses that come rolled up tightly in a box. They are easy to get into the RV and not too difficult to get out. They can also be cut to size with an ordinary kitchen knife. They are available in various thicknesses. We've ordered our online, and they were delivered right to the door. I speak of plurals here, because we have the same kind in both RVs and our cabin.

Coleen Sykora

Escapees Life Member #19747

Workers On Wheels

We were in Fresno, CA a couple years ago, and were desperately needing a new mattress, RV King with radius corners, and about 8 inches thick.  We visited this store/factory and the owner suggested laying on their latex foam mattress in the store and we were hooked.  He made it with a firm 4 inch core and 2 inch softer foam on both sides and with the radius corners, and it's able to be flipped, unlike most RV mattresses.  He even delivered it to our RV park, removed the old mattress and installed it into our rig.  It is much lighter than the inner spring RV mattress that our rig came with, and the bed stays up without the help of a broom handle like the old mattress needed.  We have been very happy with it.  He even said if anybody we knew needed a mattress made for their RV, they could call ahead so they had the materials on hand, and they could make a new one in less than a day and he has parking for an RV in the rear of the business.  We have no interest in this business, except being happy customers.  https://abetterbed.com/

We have had two of the "bed in a box" foam ones in different RVs.  They were both good mattresses.  Our current coach came with a Sleep Number.  It is probably the best one we have ever had in an RV.  It took about a week of adjustments to get each side the way we wanted but has been perfect.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

We had a great experience with The Original Mattress Factory for our short queen innerspring.  Only 50 bucks extra for the custom size. 

No extra charge for the "hinge", which is not detectable when you are sleeping on it, but allows you to fold the mattress top to bottom for ease of entry to the MH, and is also a help when you flip the mattress.

The hinge was a no-charge extra on the queen, but the salesman said they routinely include it on king.

pethier, interested in toyhaulers for 13-foot car

We purchased a 12" memory foam mattress from Sam's Club and really like it. After sleeping for 5 years on the original mattress with a 3" foam topper it's a world of difference, really comfy. It's slightly smaller than the stated size on the website so it fit fine. Highly recommend the Elite Night Therapy memory foam, several layers of different kinds of foam. We've had it almost a year, love it 

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2018 at 1:45 PM, Coleen said:

We like the bed-in-a-box memory foam mattresses that come rolled up tightly in a box. They are easy to get into the RV and not too difficult to get out. They can also be cut to size with an ordinary kitchen knife. They are available in various thicknesses. We've ordered our online, and they were delivered right to the door. I speak of plurals here, because we have the same kind in both RVs and our cabin.

x2 . . . www.bedinabox.com . . . PacBed Lite (9" foam) or PacBed Original (11" foam).

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 1 year later...

Just to add my two cents, mattress/memory foam is easy to cut into whatever size you want - head to Ikea and pick up a cheap foam mattress. We used a 2" memory foam topper (the one from Zinus) on our last RV and it really made a huge difference to the comfort of the mattress. Also it's easier to move around IMO. However, it shrank and pulled away from the edges about 3" and was always sliding around. This made the bed effectively smaller. But we are not a big couple, so it wasn't a big deal..

Edited by jean_rockyroad

On 3/28/2019 at 2:10 AM, jean_rockyroad said:

But we are not a big couple, so it wasn't a big deal. 

Mattresses are like pants, not 1 size fits all.  Gotta find what works for you/me.  Info and recommendations are great as it provides a place to look for the best deal for each of us.  

I just love this forum!

Marcel

I like a firm mattress with a 2" memory foam topper. That supports my back while not causing pressure points on my body. I tried thicker foam but it didn't provide enough support for me. Maybe because I weigh too much?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

After reading reviews of several competing products, I, at last, decided to buy this Zinus Ultima mattress from Amazon (instead of at mattress store) and I am VERY happy with my decision. My only hesitation was that the space for the mattress in my teardrop trailer was 2" too narrow, although the length (short queen) was perfect. Then I found someone with the same problem who used an electric knife to cut his mattress to size. Although I don't know what brand his was, it looked like mine, so I decided to take a chance. Yesterday was the day my mattress went on the operating table. I waited for a couple of hours until it had expanded to its full size and then I was able to cut it to just the right size and get it into my trailer. My only concern was that I would not be able to bend the mattress after cutting in order to fit it into a small height door on the trailer, but with the help of my son and daughter, it went in perfectly. Next came the comfort test. I had my son, my daughter, my wife and myself all try it out. We all agreed that it was very comfortable and would provide a good night sleep. Here are the detailed review about this Zinus Ultima that makes me to buy it. 

We picked up a short queen multi-layer foam mattress from Amazon, and fell in love with it.  Perfect fit, very nice give right away and stays "settled" without sinking further.  Lets you move around easily.  We already have a single-layer foam at home, but like this one so much it might get replaced anyway.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW7H5ZW/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 1 month later...