Bike over truck bed, with 5ver

Barb & Jason

I am trying to find a bike rack that will go over my soft bed cover and will work with the fifth wheel connected.  It would need to hold the bikes side to side and not front to back like most racks.  I want to load them this way so that they are racked on our day trips too, when we are not connected to the trailer.  I am looking for something that will go into the bed pockets if possible.  Anyone know of such of thing?  Also contemplating just putting them on top of the roof, but that will be just so much more height too for the daily drives.  Something that holds 2 bikes would be awesome.  Anyone know of such a thing?

bike.jpg?resize=1320,743&ssl=1

I don't have a clue myself, but I would ask the question.  At your tightest turn, how much room do you have between the cab and the corner of your RV?  Seems like I have also seen folks with bike racks mounted on the front of the truck/camper?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I've seen people have a 2" receiver hitch welded on the top of their pin box that comes straight out, then they put a normal truck receiver bicycle rack on that. I don't know if you could get it high enough to clear the truck roof when turning, but that would be a concern for sure if it tried to contact the cab. 

Some examples - http://learntorv.com/diy-fifth-wheel-pin-box-bike-rack-pictures/
lpxguy_rv_net_forums_Pin_Box_Bike_Mount_

Another one
1f9083427c6d360690593d1de2b12610.jpg

https://www.rvillage.com/blogs/17731/499/5th-wheel-pin-box-bike-carrier
326df_69e9.jpg?c=3343

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

One bike rack fits in pin box reciever then transfer to truck reciever on day trips. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I was going to build one myself but never did. Any welding shop could fab one up real quick. Just don't forget to get them down before you unhook.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

It is easy to put a hitch on the front bumper.  Then you could use that bike rack on the front.  A hitch on the front bumper comes in pretty handy at times.  IMHO

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We have an RV-certified bike rack on the back of the fiver and move the bikes to a receiver hitch on a vehicle for day trips. We have a good, heavy-duty cover on them in the back and they don't collect bugs, etc.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I can't imagine any way to mount two bikes to the truck behind the cab where they don;t get crushed in a tight turn.  I mount two bikes or one three wheeler on a bike rack on the front of the fiver.  On a pickup they are within a foot of the window of the truck going straight and the only reason that works is they swing with the trailer out of the way of the pinch point between the trailer and the cab on a turn.  We just pitch them in the back of the truck if we are going somewhere after parking the trailer.  Only options I can see to keep them on the truck all the time would be over the cab or in front of the bumper.  I'm thinking in front of the bumper (and therefore all the lights) is questionable legality but you see folks do it all the time.  And bikes on the roofs are not that high either, certainly nowhere near as high as the trailer, again you see lots of car/suv folks with bikes on the roof. 

On 1/29/2018 at 12:43 PM, Second Chance said:

We have an RV-certified bike rack on the back of the fiver and move the bikes to a receiver hitch on a vehicle for day trips. We have a good, heavy-duty cover on them in the back and they don't collect bugs, etc.

Rob

what cover? Does it keep them clean? or chains get gritty? Back of 5ver gets some dust.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

56 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

what cover? Does it keep them clean? or chains get gritty? Back of 5ver gets some dust.

Different seller but this cover:

Bike cover on eBay

It encloses all the way around - even around the receiver and tube. The bikes stay very clean.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

While a great idea, no room.  We have a center kitchen island that takes the space we have put them before.

Update on this.  Our answer to the question actually drove into a campground we were at and we talked with the gent about his setup.  He is a custom fabricator, so he made it himself.  Pictures included below.  He also has a long box, so no issues with the trailer swing.  A short box for sure would indeed have a potential pinch point.

What we are planning to do is to actually install a hitch on the front of our truck and use a hitch mount rack there.  That way we can leave the bikes on or take then off from the truck and not the trailer.  Then I don't need to do anything with trying to install on the trailer bumper along side the spare tire.  eTrailer carries the exact custom fit for our particular model truck at an extremely reasonable price.

Custom rack images:

custom-bike-rack-a.jpg?fit=4608,2592&ssl

customer-bike-rack-b.jpg?resize=1200,213

Archived