Brake drum size

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

How do I know what size brake drums that I have on the front of my truck without pulling off a front wheel ? I am looking at putting on Centramatic wheel balancers on the truck. The truck is a 2012 Volvo VNL630. The Centramatic application guide flow chart wants to know if the truck has 15" or 16.5" brake drums on the front.

Thank you for any help,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Agree with DesertMiner, dealer can give you the right info. As it depends on what axles. How the truck was ordered, and  that kind of stuff.

Seen 3 trucks same Make, years and all three had different drum's. One had a big Engine and heavy haul spec's, then one had a big engine set up as a Tri-Axle, third was fleet unit.

Also if your looking to do the brake job yourself. Check out Youtube, and watch the video on lifting the drum's with a dolly. No lifting and it does all the work for you.

event.png

Al,

Probably no help but my 12,500 lb front axle has 15x5  according to my build sheet. You might try ryan.sweetser@volvo.com with your vin. He’s the one that sent me my build sheet but that’s been 6 years ago. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

18 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

Agree with DesertMiner, dealer can give you the right info. As it depends on what axles. How the truck was ordered, and  that kind of stuff.

Seen 3 trucks same Make, years and all three had different drum's. One had a big Engine and heavy haul spec's, then one had a big engine set up as a Tri-Axle, third was fleet unit.

Also if your looking to do the brake job yourself. Check out Youtube, and watch the video on lifting the drum's with a dolly. No lifting and it does all the work for you.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for posting the video. Work smarter not harder. That is something I need to remember.

Al

9 minutes ago, Scrap said:

They haven't put a 15" brake on a truck since 2011.  So you are probably pretty safe with a 16.5.  Eventually you look at enough of them you can tell by looking through the wheel holes!

Good info Scrap.  My truck, just like me, has a bunch of obsolete parts, lol.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

23 hours ago, Scrap said:

They haven't put a 15" brake on a truck since 2011.  So you are probably pretty safe with a 16.5.  Eventually you look at enough of them you can tell by looking through the wheel holes!

Hi Scrap,

I was able to look thru the holes in the wheels and find this on the drum. 16.620 MAX. It sure looks like the truck has 16.5". I know I should check out the serial number.

Al

On 1/26/2018 at 9:14 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Scrap,

I was able to look thru the holes in the wheels and find this on the drum. 16.620 MAX. It sure looks like the truck has 16.5". I know I should check out the serial number.

Al

Hi Everyone,

Here is a little update. I stopped by the local Volvo dealer and had the serial number checked out. The brakes are 16.5" x 6". I asked the guys behind the parts counter which year the brakes changed but they don't remember which year the trucks had a change in brake size.

Al

A 16.5x5 will bolt on and work.  A 16.5x6 true RSD (reduced stopping distance) truck setup won't work without a knuckle change.  They had to beef up the spider bolts and re-arrange the ABS sensor location.  That's with a E1200i axle though.  The unit bearing Meritors that some of you Volvo guys got I have no idea on.  The 8 bolt wheels some of you have I'm not sure if the valve stem would clear the large drum either - it would need to be checked out.  Quite a few 16.5x5's run type 30 chambers that would need a front brake plumbing change to remove the QR valve and install a relay valve as well.  I'm not sure I'd upfit a 4x2 without 40/60 or 50/50 range weight distribution either.  It could be a wild ride!

Archived