another hitch post

forxlr8n

Way more then on a pickup. The 3500 will have some give. The HDT is more like a rock, thus your Pace LQ will take a beating on the HDT.

Same as when you see someone pulling a 5th wheel camper on the semi hitch. Then a year later there posting pics. And crying how sad the company builds these units that fail like this.

Something had to give. Be it the rear of the truck. Be it the neck of the trailer. I would rather it be a air hitch.

Pete

event.png

We converted our gooseneck living quarters trailer to a 5th wheel pin and use an air ride hitch on the HDT. It is definitely better in our opinion. Even though the goose neck trailers are better built in the pin area, I think it gives the trailer a much smoother ride. 

They do make Air ride for gooseneck balls but we have never tried them. We feel the 5th wheel pin is much easier to hook up.

Our new living quarters trailer will have both inserts so we can go either way, but in most cases we will use the 5th pin.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

3 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

my trailer saver has a gooseneck head and a binkley head. Pull the center pin out and put on the gooseneck head. I'm sure Henry could hook you up one an ET hitch as well. 

http://www.trailersaver.com/parts-and-accessories/

GN-Adaptor-PN45540.jpg

I forgot my Trailer Saver also has that option. I need to order one for it. Thanks

event.png

I have a line on a used trailsaver now. Funny I was talking to one of our local vendors yesterday about some frame extensions. Then about needing a airhitch he chimes in and said he knows of one not being used. A woman who's husband had died has sold everything but the hitch. I called made an offer and pick it up today. I don't know the model but it does have the built in air compressor. 

No I don't know the model but for what I'm paying who cares 

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

8 hours ago, Mntom said:

I am certainly impressed with my Trailer Saver. I only had a cheap RBW L'il Rocker to personally compare it to, but it's nice to be able to see the pin 'float' on bumps. You will be happy with it. The compressor is an option for them from what I understand.

8 hours ago, Mntom said:

I am certainly impressed with my Trailer Saver. I only had a cheap RBW L'il Rocker to personally compare it to, but it's nice to be able to see the pin 'float' on bumps. You will be happy with it. The compressor is an option for them from what I understand.

I just plug my 6 foot air hose into my trailer air port on the back of my cab an pump air into the hitch.  I never installed the air compressor when the hitch arrived.  It takes me about a minute or so to level out my hitch.

1 hour ago, chief916 said:

I just plug my 6 foot air hose into my trailer air port on the back of my cab an pump air into the hitch.  I never installed the air compressor when the hitch arrived.  It takes me about a minute or so to level out my hitch.

Since I don't have the option to air up my hitch from the truck I just used a cheap little air compressor since I only need about 40 psi in mine.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

7 minutes ago, forxlr8n said:

The slide lock on the stock 5th wheel will work

That's what I did.  Added a leveling valve to the hitch and I'm a happy boy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The slide lock is the "traditional" air source. If you like the feature, throw a gauge onto the dash and you can control the amount of air in the bags. Once you know the amount that works well with your trailer you can use a leveling valve arrangement to ensure it. It is arguable, but it may be helpful to have the pressure gauge in the dash, since you know that the hitch is aired, and you know how much for varying conditions...although that is not really something that changes a lot unless the weights change.

If you have more than 4500 pin weight and do not have the third airbag I'd put that on my list of things to do, eventually.  

Nice find. You will like the hitch. I ran one with pin weights between 5000-7000 lbs for 10 years on my HDTs. It is a good hitch, if maintained.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

7 hours ago, forxlr8n said:

I got a hitch. WOW what a find !!!! It had been sitting for two years. Score $800

27066806_10215615025915902_1548811555373

Very nice, I'm using the TS3 on my HDT also. It has the built in air compressor. Mine actually came with the air controlled silding hitch mechanism, but I didn't use that part of it. It's sitting at my parent's house back in GA. 

2017-05-13%2014.07.56-L.jpg

2017-06-19%2017.07.47-L.jpg

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

15 hours ago, forxlr8n said:

I got a hitch. WOW what a find !!!! It had been sitting for two years. Score $800

27066806_10215615025915902_1548811555373

I just noticed your TS3 is rated at 5000 Pin weight and 22k trailer weight. Mine is rated at 4500 pin weight and 20k trailer weight. I wonder why the differences? I think mine is a bit older with the shocks on them.

IMG_20171019_140101194-X2.jpg

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

22 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

I just noticed your TS3 is rated at 5000 Pin weight and 22k trailer weight. Mine is rated at 4500 pin weight and 20k trailer weight. I wonder why the differences? I think mine is a bit older with the shocks on them.

IMG_20171019_140101194-X2.jpg

I forget the reason, but trailer saver de-rated the hitch for a couple of years.  Someone may remember why, but for the life of me I can’t.  One of my buddies has the de-rated hitch and did a bunch of stuff to try to get the higher ratings, but trailer saver wouldn’t issue a new weight sticker.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

3 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Thanks....

Good to know....I’ve seen mention of the TSLB2H model having the option for a 3rd bag but I can’t find any info on adding the 3rd bag to the TS3. 

same one: https://www.hensleymfg.com/product/3rd-airbag-kit-for-tslb2h/

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived