What accessory devices have you added to your truck?

oldbutspry

Ok, so my truck isn't an HDT but it seems you HDT guys do the most modifying of your trucks.  So it just seems to make more sense to ask you.  I'm just curious what useful devices you have added.  Obviously, trailer wiring adapters and such.  I'm especially interested in camera systems and security devices but maybe other stuff I would never think of.

I added a dashcam system (front and rear) to my little truck last weekend.  But really I'd like to have more cameras (side).  Maybe a backup camera.  And maybe a monitor.  Things could easily go overboard.  :)  So I'm curious what others have done and found useful.

Well, since you asked, here's a list of some of what I have done to my truck:

1.  Gutted the interior of all the OEM cabinets, seats and lower bunk. 
2.  Installed new heated, air ride seats up front. 
3.  Installed a 3 person couch with fold down arm rest/center console in the back. 
4.  Added new wood full length cabinet behind driver seat - upper 3/4 is hanging area for coats, etc and lower 1/4 is storage. 
5.  Added split cabinet behind passenger seat - upper section houses microwave and space for a satellite box, lower section houses a small 110 volt refrigerator.  The cabinets are split to allow the passenger seat to recline between them - this was a must for my DW.
5.  Installed a TV/DVD combo unit on the sleeper wall behind the split cabinet on an arm mount that allows it to pull out for viewing from the couch.
6.  Installed wood end cabinets with cup holders and storage compartments on either side of the couch.
7.  Installed a small removable pedestal table in front of the couch.
8.  Installed Magnum 2012 Inverter with BMK and ME-RC remote to power TV, microwave and refrigerator, as well as a few outlets.
9.  Installed two Fullriver AGM deep cycle 12 volt batteries to power the inverter.
10.  Added a shore power connection to pass 120 volt power into the truck through the inverter and to charge the inverter battery bank with the charger built into the inverter.
11.  Added Voyager license plate camera and hitching camera with monitor mounted under overhead cabinet in center of windshield (basically where a rear view mirror would be).
12.  Installed a Voyager monitor in the dash and connected the 4 inputs to a receptacle at the back of the truck.  This allows me to plug the trailer into the receptacle and monitor the cameras mounted on the trailer (currently 3 - one rear view and one on each side)

This is a list of the highlights of the interior upgrades.  There have been a few on the outside as well. 

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum, we've added a Jackalopee, air hitch, and simple but rugged bed. Oh, and fuel.  Lots of fuel.;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

18 hours ago, Mntom said:

Like you, I have a LGT. I put a rear view camera on my trailer with a monitor in the truck. I also have it wired so that it is on all the time so it works as a rear view mirror. I have one similar to this one: http://www.rvcams.com/p/1/70-CH.html

I like that setup very much!  Having it on all the time would make it easy to see how much room you have when you are changing lanes.  And obviously, it would be good for backing into spots.  I'm thinking it would be nice if it could record as well but not sure if that's possible.

18 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Well, since you asked, here's a list of some of what I have done to my truck:

1.  Gutted the interior of all the OEM cabinets, seats and lower bunk. 
2.  Installed new heated, air ride seats up front. 
3.  Installed a 3 person couch with fold down arm rest/center console in the back. 
4.  Added new wood full length cabinet behind driver seat - upper 3/4 is hanging area for coats, etc and lower 1/4 is storage. 
5.  Added split cabinet behind passenger seat - upper section houses microwave and space for a satellite box, lower section houses a small 110 volt refrigerator.  The cabinets are split to allow the passenger seat to recline between them - this was a must for my DW.
5.  Installed a TV/DVD combo unit on the sleeper wall behind the split cabinet on an arm mount that allows it to pull out for viewing from the couch.
6.  Installed wood end cabinets with cup holders and storage compartments on either side of the couch.
7.  Installed a small removable pedestal table in front of the couch.
8.  Installed Magnum 2012 Inverter with BMK and ME-RC remote to power TV, microwave and refrigerator, as well as a few outlets.
9.  Installed two Fullriver AGM deep cycle 12 volt batteries to power the inverter.
10.  Added a shore power connection to pass 120 volt power into the truck through the inverter and to charge the inverter battery bank with the charger built into the inverter.
11.  Added Voyager license plate camera and hitching camera with monitor mounted under overhead cabinet in center of windshield (basically where a rear view mirror would be).
12.  Installed a Voyager monitor in the dash and connected the 4 inputs to a receptacle at the back of the truck.  This allows me to plug the trailer into the receptacle and monitor the cameras mounted on the trailer (currently 3 - one rear view and one on each side)

This is a list of the highlights of the interior upgrades.  There have been a few on the outside as well. 

Wow, now that's a bunch of upgrades!  Leads me to some questions:

What's the satellite box for?  Can you track the truck like commercial companies can?

Can you switch between the Voyager cameras easily without distracting your driving?  That's my worry - that it would require too much focus unless the buttons are large and distinct.  Also, does the Voyager system record?

A hitch camera seems like a must on HDTs.

24 minutes ago, oldbutspry said:

Wow, now that's a bunch of upgrades!  Leads me to some questions:

What's the satellite box for?  Can you track the truck like commercial companies can?

Can you switch between the Voyager cameras easily without distracting your driving?  That's my worry - that it would require too much focus unless the buttons are large and distinct.  Also, does the Voyager system record?

A hitch camera seems like a must on HDTs.

The satellite box space is for adding satellite TV to the television (if I want to).  I haven't actually done it yet because, still having a full time job, I don't spend enough time in the truck to justify it.  It would also require me to add an in motion satellite outside.

The Voyager cameras are not distracting at all.  The monitor under the overhead cabinet has three inputs, but can only display one input at a time.  The three cameras connected to the inputs are the hitching camera, the license plate camera and the cargo camera.  I don't switch between these cameras while in motion.  I pick the one I need for the task at hand (hitching, backing while bobtail or monitoring cargo) and leave it set there, so there is no interaction with the monitor while driving.  The monitor on the dash is mounted below the dash line above my radio.  It has four inputs and can display all four inputs at once or various combinations of the four inputs as needed.  I only have three cameras actually connected to this monitor (trailer left side, trailer rear and trailer right side).  While driving, the monitor view is set to display these three cameras at the same time, so again no interaction with the monitor.  The only time I change the view on this monitor is if I need to enlarge one of the trailer camera views for a particular backing maneuver.  This is why I went with two separate monitors, so I wouldn't have to tinker with views while I was moving.  

There is a module from Voyager that allows the cameras to be recorded.  My future plan is to add a forward facing camera on the truck and the recording module.  I would then have the truck forward camera and the three trailer cameras recording while I am driving.

The hitching camera is very convenient, but not an absolute necessity.  With a bed on the truck the same width as the trailer, it is pretty easy to line up for hitching.  You would still have to get out of the truck to align the height of the king pin to match the hitch though.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived