Escapees Roadside Assistance

Kirk W

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, chiefneon said:

We have had both Good Sam ERS and now Coach Net. GS ERS stiffed me for a $2,000.00 towing bill on a trip to Alaska. I drop them

Chiefneon:  Wld you mind elaborating how GS was able to get away without paying a towing bill like this?  Loopholes in their coverage?  Husband is just about to renew with them, so am more hesitant now.    Thank you.

17 hours ago, mysticmd said:

Chiefneon:  Wld you mind elaborating how GS was able to get away without paying a towing bill like this?  Loopholes in their coverage?  Husband is just about to renew with them, so am more hesitant now.    Thank you.

Howdy!

In 2009 on the way to Alaska we had a breakdown in the Yukon and had no phone service. A RCMP mounts showed up and called a tow service on his radio (only communication available). The tow service towed us to Beaver Creek Yukon. On arrival I used their phone to call GS ERS. I advised them of the situation. They told me that they would not pay for the tow as I had not called to get authorization. I explained do to the location this was the first phone I was able to use and also I had been tow via RCMP mounty. They still refused. Next I informed them That repairs could not be made where I was towed to and I had been told the nearest repair center would be in Anchorage, AK. They still refused to pay for the tow to me to Anchorage for repairs staying I had been towed to a repair center. Problem was I had been towed to a junk yard. So the two tows cost me $2,000.00. I counseled my coverage then and there and asked for a refund on my remaining as I pay three years at a time. I called CN purchased a platinum plus plan and have great service with them since. 

GS called me years later after I posted several times on their forum of the detail above. I actually got a call from Marcus. He wanted to know what he could due to make things right. Of corse I stated reimburse me $2,000.00. Seeing that I no longer had recites years later he gave me a life membership. I still will not go back to GS ERS.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

11 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

If I was able to participate in the Roadside Assistance Webinar this past Tuesday, 1/30, I may have had a more helpful response. As it is, maybe someone else?

Well, will it cover our HDT. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 1/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

Just wanted to share this for Escapees with MDT or HDT tow vehicles.

I had questions regarding the new Escapees roadside assistance program, one being on the Escapees website they state “You get roadside assistance that is available any time, almost anywhere, as often as you need it. Escapees Roadside Assistance customers have uncapped access to SafeRide’s resources, unlike our competitors. “Almost anywhere did not give me a warm and fuzzy felling. So I call the Escapees and they referred me to the company handling the service at 888-803-3075. When I called that number I got a voice mail to leave a message and phone and someone would call me back in one business day. Again not a good feeling. Someone did return my call that day. I asked about the “almost anywhere”. She stated they were just like all the other roadside assistance programs regarding the service available in the area you where in having problems. My next question was would they cover my MDT and also if they would cover HDT as there are a lot of Escapees that use these for tow vehicle. She first stated they would cover my MDT but would have to check on the HDT and get back with me. I received another call later that evening. She stated after checking further that the to cover my MDT I would have to purchase two policies, one for the MDT and one for my RV (5er). The same would hold true for any Escapees having a HDT they would have to purchase two policies. That being said I will retain my service with Coach Net I’ve been with them since 2009 and have a Platinum plus coverage that coast $119.00 a year that covers alll my RV’s and vehicle including my MDT.

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Hi there!

I am the marketing director for Escapees, and earlier this week, hosted a live interview with Ed Thor, the manager of RV services for SafeRide. SafeRide is the servicing company for Escapees Roadside Assistance. 

Allow me to apologize for the misinformation you received. The questions you asked above were posed to Ed during our interview, with different answers than what you told by our call center. I will share that with them. Also, depending on when you called, it may have been while the office was closed due to inclement weather last month. But to get to your questions-
"Almost anywhere" refers to the fact that SafeRide does NOT cover Mexico. We at Escapees know our members enjoy traveling all over North America, and didn't want to mislead anyone. SafeRide will cover you from Alaska, through Canada, down to the Mexico border, but not across it. Per Ed, if you have a breakdown in Mexico and can get your vehicle or rig across the border, SafeRide can assist you from there. To support what our operator told you, the speed and efficacy of the service you request will be affected by the area in which you are stranded. As Ed pointed out, there are some extremely remote areas in our country which attract RVers. For example, you can travel for hours on highways through Montana and not see a hint of a town. SafeRide has also experienced difficulty in assisting members in some national parks, where the size of tow vehicle needed to assist you is prohibited within the park. They have still been able to help in those situations, but it wasn't a straightforward resolution.

Regarding HDTs and MDTs- they are covered by SafeRide's services. Ed and I spoke about this in depth, both on and off the broadcast. In all of our conversation on the topic, he didn't once state that an additional policy would be needed. However, to confirm this, I'll reach out to him with the direct question and update you.

I appreciate you sharing your concerns!

Georgianne

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

Hi all!

I hope I can help answer some of the questions I see floating around here, as well as any new ones you may come up with ;)

I hosted the webinar/interview with Ed Thor earlier this week. Most of the questions here were answered in that interview. You can review the FAQ that came out of that session here: https://www.escapees.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=498

First off- there is no ill will between Coach-Net and Escapees RV Club. We wanted to bring our own product to our members for a long time, and the opportunity finally arose to do so. Because we cannot legally promote our program and theirs per contracts, we had to break ties with Coach-Net. 

On comparing Good Sam, AAA, Coach-Net and others to Escapees Roadside Assistance- you will find that most of these programs offer the same benefits. Towing, jump-starts, technical assistance, mobile repair, trip interruption, etc are all standard offerings. What makes SafeRide different is the depth of coverage. Before repair centers can be considered 'qualified' by SafeRide, they have to pass a multi-point review that includes liability insurance, availability of equipment commonly needed for RV repairs, etc. There is no cap on the number of times you can request assistance, unlike other companies. SafeRide is also more willing to 'meet in the middle' when a member needs help outside of SafeRide's typical services. I mentioned above the issue with Mexico and how SafeRide can take over from the border. They will also do things like tow you to an RV park for the weekend when you've broken down after hours on Friday, then pick you up and tow you to the repair center on Monday, all covered by your policy.

Regarding Cheifneon's Alaska experience, I can't say for sure how SafeRide would handle it. Though it doesn't feel good saying this, I understand why GoodSam didn't cover it initially. With most roadside assistance companies, they have agreements in place with service providers and they prefer to stick to those with whom they have an arrangement. I also understand why you did what you did, given the lack of cell signal. And, because their priority is safety, the officials needed to remove your rig from the roadway, so they took initiative to make it happen. Something similar happened to my husband a few years ago with a hit and run on Thanksgiving day- his disabled vehicle was in the middle of the highway and the officer called a tow company before he even spoke with my husband. Thankfully, after some persistence, our insurance company covered the tow. Typically, there is not a universal answer to situations like this, as they are the exception and not the norm. 

If you all have any other questions, feel free to take a look at the FAQ to see if they're answered there, or to shoot me a message. If I can't answer your question, I'll relay it to Ed for his input.

Georgianne

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

1 hour ago, Georgianne said:

Regarding HDTs and MDTs- they are covered by SafeRide's services. Ed and I spoke about this in depth, both on and off the broadcast. In all of our conversation on the topic, he didn't once state that an additional policy would be needed. However, to confirm this, I'll reach out to him with the direct question and update you.

I have an answer from Ed:

This hardly ever comes up but there is no problem on medium duty because they do not usually have ‘sleeping quarters’. Some HD trucks do have ‘sleeping quarters’.  It has been our policy that if the vehicle has sleeping quarters it is an RV and the towable unit is also an RV so 2 policies. Only 1 RV per policy.  Still this combined cost of $189/yr is far below what they would pay in the marketplace.

So, if your HDT also has a sleeper cab, you will need a second policy for it. If it does not, you are fine with a single policy.

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

I was with Good Sam ERS. I needed a tow from a location in western Canada that their 1-800 number would not work from on my mobile.  Paid for the tow ($300) and called from a landline right away for reimbursement. Filled a form out and chased for weeks. Got a one year renewal “free” as reimbursement because I should have hitchhiked to a land phone I guess :)

Used the blizzard of Good Sam renewal due mail to light campfires. 

I have CoachNet now. 

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 hours ago, Georgianne said:

I have an answer from Ed:

This hardly ever comes up but there is no problem on medium duty because they do not usually have ‘sleeping quarters’. Some HD trucks do have ‘sleeping quarters’.  It has been our policy that if the vehicle has sleeping quarters it is an RV and the towable unit is also an RV so 2 policies. Only 1 RV per policy.  Still this combined cost of $189/yr is far below what they would pay in the marketplace.

So, if your HDT also has a sleeper cab, you will need a second policy for it. If it does not, you are fine with a single policy.

Well that is catch 22. Mine has a sleeper but no bed. Couch in place. Top sleeper removed. That would leave all of us out that have HDTs

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...

Also, we've had members asking in other forums "why the difference in price between Escapees and FMCA?" and "why leave Coach-Net?"
In case you're curious about either of these as well, here is the answer that was shared with someone earlier today:

We think it is important that you understand a little bit more about the history of this program and how it came to be. Roadside assistance services, such as Coach-Net, began to increase in price. Along with this, they no longer offered special membership services or special support. We felt the need to look elsewhere or create an alternative solution for the benefit of our membership directly.

As such, we created a relationship with SafeRide in order to provide a roadside assistance program directly to our members. During the course of our negotiations with SafeRide, we negotiated the least expensive Roadside Assistance Service in the market. However, that changed when FMCA lowered their prices.  

Please know we pursued the best deal possible. The only way for Escapees to provide a cheaper rate would be for Escapees to directly subsidize the program. While this could be possible, it would mean increasing membership dues. This is not something we are comfortable doing because we understand that not all members would want to use the Escapees Roadside Assistance program. And, therefore, some members should not have to pay to cover the costs of others.

Edited by Georgianne

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

Wow! Lots of good info here. When we picked up our 5r from Holiday World, my sweetheart insisted on a service contract. what they offered us was a $5500 First Extended + a tire warranty for $795 + Roadside Assist from Coach Net $645. I had heard good things about Coach Net so gave them a call and an email. Got quotes for half the $$$ for their complete package. Then in a phone conversation with them found out that they had some sort of agreement with Holiday World. They could not write the agreement with me. Went back to the dealer to transfer the whole enchilada to Coach Net - told they could not do it. So I got a full refund for tire and ESC and next October when my warranty expires will contact Coach Net again. Again, most say their products and service are great.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

On 1/23/2018 at 4:43 PM, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

This is the first I’ve heard about Escapees road side service. We have had both Good Sam ERS and now Coach Net. GS ERS stiffed me for a $2,000.00 towing bill on a trip to Alaska...

Chiefneon 

I was starting to believe that I have been the only person screwed by GS ERS.  I  broke down i hour outside our capital.. I had to wait 5 hours on side of the road.  Repair was easy. Got a bill just under 1K.  All I got was "too bad".. and that dude you mentioned contacted me as well when I started complaining on line but I didn't even get the offer for a smoke.. I was going to go AAA because of the rep and they will tow a class 5.. but since my rig still is in storage, I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Great discussion.

Does coachnet have a package for for returning to origin ? 

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

I have both CoachNet and Good Sam roadside assistance. I have used Good Sam once in IN for a flat tire while I was at an RV park. I called them because their phone number came first in my cell phone. This was on a Sunday morning last June and Good Sam told me that because it was Sunday all of their preferred road assistance companies were not open. I was stunned thinking that they would tell me to wait until Monday. I asked if the road side assistance was not a 24/7 service? They said yes it was and they did send someone in a mini van and he was a pleasant young man who was from England. He was an educated person who had immigration issues so he was working for himself. He did the job although his compressor would only put 60 lbs in the tire with the mini van running and revved.

My question regarding the Escapees roadside assistance is how will they be better? CoachNet and Good Sam have been in business for some time and I would think that they know what they are doing? Also there are only so many roadside/tow companies around and I have been told that Good Sam and CoachNet use mostly the same companies? Which companies will Escapees use.

I hope they are not trying to reinvent the wheel?

48 minutes ago, whj469 said:

My question regarding the Escapees roadside assistance is how will they be better? CoachNet and Good Sam have been in business for some time and I would think that they know what they are doing? Also there are only so many roadside/tow companies around and I have been told that Good Sam and CoachNet use mostly the same companies? Which companies will Escapees use.

Got to read the full thread ....

SafeRide  http://www.saferidemotorclub.com/products-services.aspx

5 hours ago, whj469 said:

Are you aware that Good Sam contracts with Allstate Motor Club for their roadside assistance plan? When you call for assistance, it's the Allstate call center that answers the phone, but that's subject to change when the contract next expires.  SafeRide by the way, has been around for 20+ years and has a very good reputation in the towing industry. Do various roadside assistance plans use the same service providers? Sure they do... In each town, there's only so many service providers available, and not all will contract with the various plans. Those that do often sign on with multiple plans because it's good for their business, filling in between the more lucrative direct contact calls. The downside is at busy times with multiple plan subscriber calls, the plan that pays the best/fastest will get priority after the direct calls. For many years that was Coach-Net, but I haven't seen the latest numbers in a few years now.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 3/9/2018 at 2:59 PM, Georgianne said:

Also, we've had members asking in other forums "why the difference in price between Escapees and FMCA?" and "why leave Coach-Net?"
In case you're curious about either of these as well, here is the answer that was shared with someone earlier today:

We think it is important that you understand a little bit more about the history of this program and how it came to be. Roadside assistance services, such as Coach-Net, began to increase in price. Along with this, they no longer offered special membership services or special support. We felt the need to look elsewhere or create an alternative solution for the benefit of our membership directly.

As such, we created a relationship with SafeRide in order to provide a roadside assistance program directly to our members. During the course of our negotiations with SafeRide, we negotiated the least expensive Roadside Assistance Service in the market. However, that changed when FMCA lowered their prices.  

Please know we pursued the best deal possible. The only way for Escapees to provide a cheaper rate would be for Escapees to directly subsidize the program. While this could be possible, it would mean increasing membership dues. This is not something we are comfortable doing because we understand that not all members would want to use the Escapees Roadside Assistance program. And, therefore, some members should not have to pay to cover the costs of others.

Howdy!

One of the things during my research recently was that FMCA roadside service is cheaper than what Escapees is offering. FMCA plan regarding winchout Service if you stuck is only good at one of there Rallies. I don’t think that’s the same with the Escapees plan. I’ve use the winchout service on a couple of occasions. I even got stuck in a ditch in front of out house before fulltiming. It can be costs as we have a MDT and large 5er. Since the question has been answered about my MDT that it will be covered with the Escapees plan, looks like we will switch to it when our Coach Net plan runs out in May.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

US Rider -  directed to equestrians - however, NO "hay burners"  required.

When i had questions about verbiage in the plan coverage, I was contacted  by email, snail mail - and an offer to contact the marketing director personally by phone (which I did).

They got my ERS business!

As a backup - American Motorcyclist Association.  NO M/C ownership or M/Cs necessary.  $50 a year - but will only tow 35 miles (including trailers).

Same thing - had questions about (private) HDT -  polite lady handling calls was not sure of the answer to that one (tandem in particular), so she ,provided me with the parent company;s phone number for direct contact..

(Never followed up on HDT issue, as I hadn't made that move - but I was impressed with the referral.  Wonder if those "other" ERS services would go that "extra mile"  (no pun intended)  to answer a non-subscriber's questions!

Hopefully you never need whichever one you choose!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I have roadside assistance with my insurance and with my extended warranty but both denied to pay for a winch out when my rear passenger wheel slipped into a ditch on the side of the road ($300). They said roadside service is for mechanical breakdowns only. Does the Escapees plan cover winch outs. Does the FMCA plan, Good Sam or Coach Net cover winch out.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Coach-Net covers winch outs up to 100' from a maintained or campground road. The distance limit is pretty common, and is based on standard tow truck winch cables being 125' long. I think GS/Allstate has similar wording, but I haven't seen the full benefits wording for the other two.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system