Imported solar panel tarriffs signed

lockmup68

15 minutes ago, Daveh said:

• ore

2. Today, at utility scale (how most solar is deployed), solar modules make up around 1/3 of the total system cost. The rest is so-called "soft costs" - framing, land, labor, trackers, inverters, wiring, etc.. Raising the cost of modules by 30% raises total cost maybe 10%.

ore

•  

I think he makes a very interesting point but for those of us installing our own systems the cost increase of panels will have a much bigger impact on the bottom line of our projects.

Dave and Lana Hasper

This one is a toughie to discuss without going too far politically since there is a political aspect. If we can maintain a reasonal control we can all still benefit from the discussion.  Thanks to everyone that is contributing respectfully and if I cross the line at some point feel free to say so.  But politely please.

3 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

The last paragraph in the article... "The provision under which Trump took action has been used rarely, and it's tariffs are almost always struck down by the WTO. The last time it was used was in 2001 for steel imports, and the WTO overturned the penalties."

I obviously do not know all the considerations but I would thank a US manufacturer would have some justified hesitation in making a large investment based on this tariff protection. If the numbers would work anyway, okay, but in addition to the WTO concern above, what are the chances this is just a negotiation tactic or will be overturned by the next administration?  

Dave and Lana Hasper

Dave, I was thinking the same thing. Even a tactic that is overturned can have a desired effect if for no other reason than to forcefully show your intent.  In every sitution there are winners and losers and most of the time I seem to fall in the collateral damage catagory.:huh:

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 6:25 AM, bigjim said:

Even that is mixed  as the cheaper panels may lead to more jobs in installation and maint. plus saving on fossil fuels, cutting down on polution, spending less on buiding generating stations be they coal, gas, nuclear.  It doesn't all fit in one box.

One person gets it.

On 1/23/2018 at 4:09 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

The interesting thing is that US panel manufacturers will still be importing the glass cells from China.  I guess that is an accommodation since the EPA rules makes it basically impossible to make the glass cells in the US.  That is why Solyndra failed.  It wasn't labor costs, it was a 100% automated plant, so the labor cost was nil but following EPA rules ran the cost too high.

That's because Americans are great at SERVICING things. Innovation? Not any more.

On 1/22/2018 at 2:37 PM, lockmup68 said:

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/370171-trump-imposes-30-tariffs-on-solar-panel-imports

The dispute is likely to be settled eventually by the Switzerland-based World Trade Organization, where China and other countries are nearly certain to challenge the tariffs as a violation of international law.

The Chinese will win. As well, they should.

4 minutes ago, OldMan said:

That's because Americans are great at SERVICING things. Innovation? Not any more.

Without researching anything I wonder whether this shouldn't be "manufacturing, not anymore"    We are not that far removed from Gates and Jobs changing tech and we have Tesla doing it's thing now.

Dave and Lana Hasper

Archived