Wifi booster? or antenna? help!

GreyDawg

I find myself in an RV park for 5 weeks, in a row with very poor Wifi reception.  My iPad can get a signal, but my laptop (Dell XPS13, 1  yr old) and my new Moto 5g phone cannot, though they find the park network.  I do not run any router -- just independent pieces of equipment.    I check email and surf the net, but do not stream. 

My T-Mobile hotspot works reasonably well -- when I can get a T-Mobile signal.  And I will be throttled at 10GB. 

So I need a wifi booster?  antenna?   I would ideally like something that plugs into one of the USB ports on my laptop.   And I do not want to make a major $$$ investment as this is something I need only once in a while.

I don't even know the vocabulary for what I need to buy.  Recommendations?   BTW, I am hunkered down in a Starbucks right now to get Wifi...

Thanks for the help.  I really need to order something today or tomorrow so that I can get out of this crippoing WiFi situation asap. 

I am a big fan of Ubiquiti networking products.  I started with a Bullet 2, but currently favor the Nanostation Loco M2:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B00DCNRTAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516639697&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation+loco+m2

You can mount one of these on your batwing for a permanent install, or simply on a pole for a temporary setup.  These devices use Ethernet cable so there is no line loss.  You can either connect the Ethernet cable directly to your computer, or add you own router to provide Wi-Fi access to all of your devices.

The initial setup can be daunting to someone with limited networking experience but there are guides available and once the initial setup is completed, it is very easy to reconfigure when you move to a new park.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Another fan of the Nanostation. Many times I do not even put it outside, just set it in a window facing the AP I want to connect to. Here is a link to a video on how to set one up. As said by the previous poster, you can use it connected directly to a computer or with a router. If you do not want to use a router, just ignore that part of the video.

The one that dies with the most toys is still dead!

Ubiquity has quite an arsenal of good devices, and like many companies, a few products that need continued process improvement:)! (To be clear, the products noted above, are a solid option:)! And I do like and have used many Ubiquity products over the decades.)

The WiFi Ranger have products that can also support what your looking to do. Probably the SkyProPack would be the easiest and the least expensive options of their products. What plus of the WiFi Ranger products, is they add a feature called Safe Surf, which is like a VPN in behavior, that adds a safer connection for banking, purchases, trading. It can be toggle on and off easily. (Do not believe Ubiquity products listed have such a feature?)

Link below. 

One caution, just because you get a stronger signal from the roof top antenna, and rebroadcast of that signal inside of your coach. Many parks are WiFi systems are still not going to provide you an internet highway of speed:)! If with a strong signal, you'll find many times that the parks infrastructure, or the back haul to the internet, are not up to the task of providing super highway speeds:)!

Best to you,

Smitty

https://www.wifiranger.com/shop/product/60-skypro-pack

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I have used a BearExtender in the past and it works very well. This plugs into a USB port and would only work for you laptop.

https://www.bearifi.com/pages/bearextender-product-comparison

There is a driver update available for Windows 10. Amazon sells it for about $35.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Have not tied it yet. But watched a video a few days ago. Plastic water bottle. Add a little water and lots of Salt. Shake it up then pour the water out. Allowing the salt crystals to dry on  the inside. Then slide it down the antenna. Something about the waves not hitting the right. But the sq crystals of salt out them in the right wave link. And speeds it up .

Link to the video and have no ideal if the guy is crazy or knows what hes talking about.

event.png

On 1/22/2018 at 9:57 AM, k4rs said:

I am a big fan of Ubiquiti networking products.  I started with a Bullet 2, but currently favor the Nanostation Loco M2:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B00DCNRTAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516639697&sr=8-1&keywords=ubiquiti+nanostation+loco+m2

You can mount one of these on your batwing for a permanent install, or simply on a pole for a temporary setup.  These devices use Ethernet cable so there is no line loss.  You can either connect the Ethernet cable directly to your computer, or add you own router to provide Wi-Fi access to all of your devices.

The initial setup can be daunting to someone with limited networking experience but there are guides available and once the initial setup is completed, it is very easy to reconfigure when you move to a new park.

Safe Travels...

Here is one of the better ones.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

I use a Ubiquity Bullet on the roof with an omni antenna, no need to aim.  Does the job of getting over RVs and it has more power.  Photos.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

6 hours ago, wildmandmc said:

Hey Pete, Is this guy related to the original Mcgyver 

He does those videos with such a straight face that people buy into his nonsense. Did you see the one about how you can get all the HOB and Showtime channels you don't pay for my putting a blank DVD on your cable coming out of the wall? He is really very creative with his videos. He was getting so much mail saying "It didn't work" that he had to go back and label his videos "This is a joke. It is not true."

Here is that video.

Archived