Bought a HDT

jenandjon

After months of shopping around looking at literally dozens of trucks I found the one. 03 Freightliner 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. A little longer than what I wanted but the hard work is all done. Everything on the rear end is new. From the locker to the bakes, brake cans, shocks, track bar the works. New drive line, carrier bearing U joints etc. I tried to nit pick it but i couldn't find anything wrong. 1.3 million on it. Never been overhauled but they pulled the pan and did the rods and mains. Everything around the engine is new or newer. Alternator and turbo are newer. Needs a left side windshield. That about the only thing I could find wrong.

A local guy had it. We have a few mutual friends. They all assured me if he says he did something you know its done right. Paid a little more than I wanted to but the hard stuff is done. (high teens) Just have to mount the flat bed and 5th wheel then figure out seating for the kids in the sleeper.

This truck spent the last few years pulling a tractor pulling trailer around the area. The former owner builds pulling tractors and engines along with operates his own trucking company. He does all his own work.

1a.jpg

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Sweet looking truck

Welcome to the Dark Side
dfeb6f70056d2d3d54f017f0d41551a2.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Congratulations!

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Not sure but that may be the year. Detroit swapped to the better bull gear. It was 02 or 03 I think. But still with that many miles on it. Best to get someone to check the bull Gear. As if and when it does go out. Its taking the section of the engine with it. If its the 12.7, now if its the 14L engine. Don't hear much about those and the bull gear.

Being yours was left at 435 HP. That means it did not have the guts pulled out of it. Most boost the HP up to 500+ HP. And run them hard.

My 1995 has the little brother to yours 11.1L. It sips fuel and does a good job for its size. Ran one the second year they were on the market. In a 1988 FLD120, that little engine pulled with bigger motors. And while the 425 cats could out pull it, they did not leave it. While they were getting 4.5 MPG I was getting 7.8 doing the same job.

As for the wheelbase, your lucky. Just move it forward to shorten it up. Nothing in the way to cause headaches like on a lot of trucks.

event.png

1 minute ago, Pete Kildow said:

Not sure but that may be the year. Detroit swapped to the better bull gear. It was 02 or 03 I think. But still with that many miles on it. Best to get someone to check the bull Gear. As if and when it does go out. Its taking the section of the engine with it. If its the 12.7, now if its the 14L engine. Don't hear much about those and the bull gear.

Being yours was left at 435 HP. That means it did not have the guts pulled out of it. Most boost the HP up to 500+ HP. And run them hard.

My 1995 has the little brother to yours 11.1L. It sips fuel and does a good job for its size. Ran one the second year they were on the market. In a 1988 FLD120, that little engine pulled with bigger motors. And while the 425 cats could out pull it, they did not leave it. While they were getting 4.5 MPG I was getting 7.8 doing the same job.

As for the wheelbase, your lucky. Just move it forward to shorten it up. Nothing in the way to cause headaches like on a lot of trucks.

Bull gear was done at 900,000 miles. I really like these Detroit engines. I drove one back in 2000 and in 01 in a W900L Kenworth. Pulling a reefer coast to coast.  Loaded to 80,000 pounds. I still got around 7 mpg.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Howdy jenandjon,

Enjoy your new to you truck, may it serve you well.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

J & J,

welcome to Shake Rattle & hopefully no-roll......

Your Shaker sure looks a LOT nicer than the Dollytrolley ......just shows that +million mile can not show the miles if the owner is careful.......Jeff with his Argosy is a case in point that with proper care the truck can age nicely with the owner.

The Trolley is tandem at 252 inches so we have essentially the same wheelbase and with the great steer axle angles Wal-Mart lots aren't not too bad except out tail swing is a lot longer see I need to peek in the mirrors a couple ties a day when zig zagging into the handicap parking......

Like your Shaker the Trolley needs windshield(s) And new Window gaskets as well so not looking forward to the chore but after you get new glass you get a whole new outlook.......

Overall Shaker parts prices are fair and downright free compared to LGT GMC pickup parts........Shaker window switch $18 ......GMC window switch $87 and the original Shaker switch still works at a million miles and the GMC switch was toast at 120k....

Of course Shakers tend to be parked out back near the dumpsters to make room for the spiffy V-trucks up front but hey we still somehow get where we are going...

Drive on.......(Shake on........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hello Jen&Jon!

Good to see another "Freightliner" in the group!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

On 1/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, Dollytrolley said:

Of course Shakers tend to be parked out back near the dumpsters to make room for the spiffy V-trucks up front but hey we still somehow get where we are going...

Congratulations on your new project and road home........ And by the way, I would be happy to be parked right next to all you shakers out there.  After all, we are all family when running the dark side!!

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

4 minutes ago, noteven said:

Youse guys got room for a scruffy little Kay Dubbya in the variants and misfits section?  :D

Howdy noteven,

With any kind of luck, my Freightshaker will be sold by the National Rally and I'll show up in my scruffy ole Pete, I always parked my Shaker in the ghetto with the other miscreants and will continue to do so with the Pete.  If the ghetto won't allow you or me to park there maybe we can setup at the other end of the camp ground in a scruffy ole PACCAR  section.:lol:

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Unfortunately the rallies occur in months that I am banished back to Canada.... 

rickeieio suggested something about a winter moto themed rally in AZ... I’d be up for that...

’scuse the hijack

Howdy noteven,

Not to hijack this thread, well not anymore then it has been, I'll start a new thread concerning a bike rally during the winter months.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived