Why I prefer having my peterbilt

Broncohauler

This is a brand new truck and trailer on its first trip to the desert according to the tow operator  

I believe this is where the 10 freeway turns into the 86 highway running near Indio CA. I know this section of highway and the speed limit for vehicles Towing is 55mph and cars 65mph. There’s lots of stop lights that change quickly. 

Looks like he jackknifed while trying to stop. At the end of the video you see the family, so I’m hoping all walked away. 

I followed this a bit the day it happened.  The driver actually posted that he could not stop in time at a short duration yellow light and continued into the intersection. Another vehicle entered the intersection at some speed on the fresh green light and hit the tow vehicle toward the rear in a T collision. The force put the rig into jack knife and the hitch mounts failed and the trailer ran over the truck rolling it on its side. 

Even though the driver actually posted what happened the discussion rapidly descended into comments around dually vs single wheeler, the driver's experience,  government setting yellow lights short for fine revenue and on  into state politics and aftermarket wheels and my truck vs your truck and descended from there so I quit following. 

If I remember in CA there are warning signs ahead of these higher speed intersections but the alternating yellow flashing lights are always on regardless of signal status ahead.  In my homeland those alternating yellows only start to flash when the signal is about to go yellow then red for you, so you have time to stop. If you pass by the warning sign with no flashing lights at the speed limit you will roll through on green. Seems like a simple fix to avoid finding yourself bearing down on a "3 second yellow light", can't stop, and getting hit by a "light timer" in the cross traffic. 

A course intersection T bones can't happen at a...a......

roundabout :ph34r:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Ya I don't understand why they don't use the "flashing yellow prepare to stop" warning method.

Edit: I think CA 78 east out of Escondido has a prepare to stop set of flashing lights on the curve on the hill heading down to the Jct with Bear Valley Parkway...

Interesting to see how that hitch rail buckled. Something most of here wouldn't worry about......probably would have got stopped. I agree that the yellow should only be flashing to warn that the light will be changing. That's the way it is in most of the places I've been to.

4 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Is this one of the new Fords that are all aluminum?  Aluminum frame rails as well?  

Only the body is aluminum. The ads clearly state the frames are "high strength steel".

Been driving one 2 1/2 years.  Love it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

4 disk brakes and 4 drum brakes.....That is what the guy had to stop with. I was looking at my neighbors trailer today and the cheap suspension with drum brakes is just sad. I have 3-9K axles with huge disk brakes plus the crazy huge 17" disc's on my Volvo and yea know? It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Everyone puts their 35-40+K Harleys and other toys in these cheap shit toy haulers with big fancy names. (Voltage or Seismic or impact or momentum and on and on) Maybe they should put up some cash to get a beter tow vehicle/trailer that can stop in a safe distance. Say something with disk brakes??? They will spend 50K+ on a bike but balk at spending more than 60-70K on a trailer to carry that bike. Bassfreakingackwards thinking they have!

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I had decent (aftermarket) brakes on my Dodge.  They couldn't stop my trailer worth a damn.

They don't hold a candle to the old-school giant drums on my Volvo.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

9 hours ago, noteven said:

Ya I don't understand why they don't use the "flashing yellow prepare to stop" warning method.

Edit: I think CA 78 east out of Escondido has a prepare to stop set of flashing lights on the curve on the hill heading down to the Jct with Bear Valley Parkway...

Haven’t noticed lights there I’ll have to look.  

Longer yellow lights would be a huge help out on the 86. That’s a big truck corridor and they change way to fast. 

I remember seeing an article once that mentioned that federal guidelines for traffic signals was a 6 second yellow.  That would prevent a lot of accidents.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Instead of a fixed time, Federal rules should set a time proportional to the normal speed of the road.  Higher speeds should have longer Yellow lights.  

But then again, special people will always treat Yellow lights as just a suggestion. And some treat Red lights as reasons to speed up.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

14 hours ago, 13speed said:

4 disk brakes and 4 drum brakes.....That is what the guy had to stop with. I was looking at my neighbors trailer today and the cheap suspension with drum brakes is just sad. I have 3-9K axles with huge disk brakes plus the crazy huge 17" disc's on my Volvo and yea know? It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Everyone puts their 35-40+K Harleys and other toys in these cheap shit toy haulers with big fancy names. (Voltage or Seismic or impact or momentum and on and on) Maybe they should put up some cash to get a beter tow vehicle/trailer that can stop in a safe distance. Say something with disk brakes??? They will spend 50K+ on a bike but balk at spending more than 60-70K on a trailer to carry that bike. Bassfreakingackwards thinking they have!

TOTALLY AGREE!  Consistent with towing 40+ tow haulers OVER loaded with an F250. "Ya, I got a diesel and it will tow ANYTHING!".

Are you kidding me right now???  Its why the rest of us have to deal with laws that HAD to be enacted because of this lack of common sense thinking. 

Marcel

20 hours ago, Broncohauler said:

I’ve driven my work truck through here many times at 80k pounds. 

Those lights DO have a VERY short yellow!! I’ve scared my self a few times. I haul paint for the largest manufacturer in the country and the paint will surge. Stopping short isn’t an option. 

Only if the containers are not full.  If they are, they act as a solid.  Look up marine weight and balance, fuel, fish loads etc.

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Hey, not even, I see what you meant about the thread degrading...........

Ya the chain of events seemed to be straight forward enough especially when the driver posted what happened- but the "experts" know better:) ... I think my fave was the theory the truck flopped because of aftermarket wheels...

I worked in a small city that is full of stoplights (and therefore red light runners and can't stops) and as a rider I got out of the habit of green means go before I take a good look that cross traffic is able to stop - no matter what vehicle I'm in or on...

On 1/21/2018 at 6:25 AM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

But then again, special people will always treat Yellow lights as just a suggestion. And some treat Red lights as reasons to speed up.

Mark

This behavior is common practice here in the Bee Hive state. I have had the horn blown at me for stopping and the red light is already on. Lucky to not get rear ended.

Archived