Back Up Drive

We have 3 laptops that are being used for personal/business/other work that are getting to a point that if one crashes we'll lose too much data that will be hard to replace.

It needs to be portable-

Be able to daily back up 2 computers daily and 1 weekly

Suggestions?

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If you have unlimited internet use one of the clouds. I use Google Drive and whenever I change a file that I have designated on the drive a copy is sent to the cloud. For all my other files I uses a Toshiba 3TB ehd. They come in colors so you could get 3 colors, one for each unit. I uses Nova Backup for those. I do a full backup each month and an incremental each week.

I like the cloud(took me several years to go to it) as then the data is offsite,.,

I am sure there are other solutions.

Backup drives in the same trailer as the PC will burn in the fire together.  That is why I lke off-site backup, like Carbonite.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I tried the offsite backups and did not like it due to having to (essentially) start over if/when I upgraded my PC.  Additionally, I do not have the bandwidth to use the cloud when traveling.

I now use a 2TB SSD to back up both my laptop and DW's.  That 2TB stays in the MH with us.  A second 1.5TB hard drive rides in my toad and gets the same backups as the SSD -double backup??.  Pain in the a$$ to go and get it every time but worth the effort I think.

At our S&B the 1.5TB is located in the barn and connected via CAT5 so I can do backups automatically and on a schedule.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

I use a western digital my cloud drive.  It works well and can even be set up to synchronize files between all your computers.  I have a PC and a laptop and now all my files are on both machines and the drive.  If I change a file on one machine, it automatically gets updated on all the others.  This gives me even more redundancy in case of a failure.  It can also be accessed remotely if it is on a network to allow you access to your files while you are off site if you would like.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have 2 Seagate 3TB external hard drives.  1 for the DW's Laptop and 1 for mine.  I backup each laptop to it's own EHD once a month and once or twice a year I backup each EHD to each other.  So I have 3 copies if you will of both laptops.  1 internal and 2 external.  Our files are mostly pictures and music.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

How big are the hard drives capacities in each of the computers you will be backing up? Will you want a desktop plugged in all the time for convenience and extra storage as well as a second backup drive for all three that you take and put in your second vehicle or what? More info and I can tailor what you need.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

It should be Dennis. If you have any difficulty when needed, any tech can restore it if necessary. I am running clones of my drives and keeping a separate drive clone for each of our two main systems, and my tablets. Lynn has decided she prefers her phone, a new as of a year ago 5.5" Moto Z play, to her Dell tablet which is our oldest tablet yet is really responsive and runs Windows 10 now. It was a Windows 8 tablet originally. It was also our first tablet with a full size USB 3 port and full 1080p resolution, and the only tablet with a user replaceable battery. Anyway, I have backup systems for my backup systems.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I use the Microsoft OneDrive and have "defined" it as the drive that all my basic libraries are stored on (documents, pictures, etc).  Files on the OneDrive display in File Explorer as if they were on my computer.  In addition I have specified that all cloud files are to be available offline which results in copies of all cloud documents also residing on my second HDD, my D: drive which carries nothing but data.  So I get the safety of the cloud with the ability to have all my files available without an internet connection and without the need to actually do any backups.

As for programs and the operating system residing on my C: drive, I back that up to a local HDD every month or so using Windows Create System Image app.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I must be getting old. Other than multiple devices having dynamic access to a common file, what is the allure of online "drives"? If the world goes screwy (er... moreso... ) and the internet goes down... what then? I very well could be wrong, but no matter what they say, I will never believe security against exploitation/cataloguing can be fully assured with those types of services. After all... never transmitting your files electronically is the best "internet security", is it not?

I use a portable hard drive for "everyday" backups against mechanical failure and redundant off-site "long term" backup drives. I don't always get to update it but a couple of times a year, but worst case.. the important stuff is generally recoverable/re-buildable from outside sources (financials, receipts, statments, etc.)

If it's something "terribly" important then it's no big deal to mail in a thumb drive to a responsible party (attorney, family member, etc.)

For someone that works on the road and requires more regular and secure backups that might not work, but as a leisure RV'er, it works for me.

On Edit: Reading the OP.... it sounds like one of the cloud services actually would work best for daily off-site backups. Sorry.... I only had Docj's post on the brain when I replied and it didn't really relate to the OP. ;-)

I am not a big fan of trusting the cloud for something critical.  We have already seen what happens when they lose your data, they say they are sorry and give you a few free months of service.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I agree with you Bill. I use the cloud as a matter of convenience but do a full backup each week on my ehd. I should  keep an ehd with a backup off-site but don't. I understand the risk and accept it.

It is impossible to protect yourself from everything on a continuing basis. I just do what is acceptable to me. Each person's tolerance of risk is different.

I just took a computer class and it was mentioned not to put sensitive information on the Cloud.   How safe is the Cloud? It seems anyone can break into anything nowadays.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Anyone can only break into anything connected to the Internet, or that they have physical access. Like stealing one of my backup drives and reading it on another computer. This is why encrypting drives can be a useful tool. Some are not worth encrypting like my 2TB of movies I burned from my DVD disks before Blu-Ray. I also have the disks. I used to sign up for the digital versions but never used that once so stopped that too. Today, streaming makes keeping on site copies obsolete. I never watch anything more than twice anymore.

Backing up to an external drive is easier and cheaper if you use bare drives and a drive dock. (bare drive examples https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=2tb hard drive&Submit=ENE) I have had issues with every brand of USB3.0 dock except my Thermaltake brand BlacX docks: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-external-Enclosure-Docking-ST0005U-C/dp/B01GF0OYI2/ref=sr_1_6/140-0702852-9168005?ie=UTF8&qid=1516554722&sr=8-6&keywords=thermaltake+docking

Remember don't buy a USB 2 dock unless your computer lacks high speed USB 3 ports or USB C ports. Clones and backups are about large amounts of data transfers. Buy only Thermaltake docks. If you go cheap you will see.

I make a clone and keep it in a cabinet, and keep a drive in the dock for my data only backups. Frequency, on site or off site is up to you. I use only the free 5GB cloud with Microsoft for my specifications sheets. Like I have one for all my vehicles tire sizes, wiper blade sizes, Air and oil filter numbers, my phones are sync'd to One drive only, and nothing on my one drive is sensitive.

I am not interested in cloud computing so I use my own Office programs, and secure encrypted email clients.

My wife does all the accounting with Quicken Home and business on her system and she backs Quicken up after each session on an SD Card that is removed each time.

We used to use a thumb drive and keep it in her purse but no more.

IN the cloud your reference, great! NO backups, great!

It is as individual as choice of vehicle or RV. Ones size fits all, of that same size.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

We don't have enough of a data plan to use cloud based back up.  Plus with a mix of personal and company data I need to keep it separate.  

On my laptop I currently have used 230GB of 440 available

Wife has 200GB and is full.  She needs more memory on her's anyway.  She currently saves her writing on thumb drives.

Work.... Can't get into it.  I'll let the IT guru's at the home office worry about it...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I have 8-9 terabytes of data, mostly photos dating back to the 1990's, so backing up to the cloud isn't practical.  I back up my critical documents and accounting folder to Dropbox, but they're not very big. That way I'll always be able to access license, registration, membership info, etc, no matter what happens to my RV.

Otherwise I back up everything to a NAS server at my desk (external hard drives would be just as good). And a tip I picked up here: I make a secondary backup to external drives, and I leave the secondary backup in my towed car (encrypted in case the car gets stolen).

Archived