Bedroom electrical Outlet problems

grnberet18f

I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37ND. I'm having electrical problems in the bedroom outlets. The problem was identified when devices plugged into the bedroom outlets started coming on and off. They would be on for about 60 sec, then go off for a few seconds. Then stay on for a few minutes then go off for 30-40 secs (times are not exact). A day later there is no power. I've checked breakers and fuses and all is as it should be except no power. I've identified that it affects three outlets in the bedroom (except the one the TV is plugged in to) and now outlets on the left side of the RV and the bathroom GFCI outlet. I'v learned that the 3 bedroom outlets and 2 outlets above the sofa on the left side of the RV are wired together. Any suggestions?

I would go the first outlet in the string that is giving you trouble and check the connections. If you don't find anything there go to the next one up stream and check connections. They are daisy chained so it shouldn't be terribly hard to track down. It sounds like a loose connection so you may find the wire(s) had gotten warm and possibly discolored the insulation too.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

As noted above, could be a loose connection at any one of the outlets.  The first outlet in each circuit should be a GFCI.  If is is defective or intermittent it would impact all downstream outlets.

Lenp 

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Keep in mind that some RV manufacturers (maybe most or even all) use a different outlet than what we're used to in our S&B. Don't know if there would be any reason not to switch to a more common one if a problem is found. Maybe an electrician could chime in here.

Easiest way to figure out which outlets are on the circuit is to turn off everything EXCEPT that circuit. Then use a small lamp or circuit tester to check every other outlet. If there is a GFI outlet there chances are that that outlet is the beginning of the circuit. Don't bet on wiring following the route that you would think is most logical.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I don't know the vehicle. Are the outlets on a slide, if so there should be a junction box on the main body connecting to the electrical cord attached to the slide. A good place for moisture and possible bad connections

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

1 hour ago, Mntom said:

I would go the first outlet in the string that is giving you trouble and check the connections. If you don't find anything there go to the next one up stream and check connections.

You can determine which outlets are on the same circuit by opening one circuit breaker at a time and note what looses power. If your RV is 30a it probably only has 1 circuit that supplies all of the outlets, while most 50a RVs will have two circuits. If you have two circuits for outlets, those in the bedroom are probably not on the GFI. While this sounds like a probable loose connection, there are some other possible causes and some of them could be a fire hazard so I'd not let this go for very long. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with what the others say about a potential loose connection in the bad circuit.  Be aware that there could also be a 120v light fixture in the circuit.  Manufacturers usually take the least expensive and troublesome path.  It is also possible a screw in a wall or ceiling could be cutting through a wire causing an open.   RV outlets are not as deep as residential outlets as the RV has thinner walls.  RV outlets0 only pinch through the wires insulation and do not use as good mechanical screw connections as residential outlets.   Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Archived