Government shutdown: Are BLM Land Boondockers kicked out?

Al F

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it depends on whether the administration, which is the party responsible that actually decides what gets closed down and what does not, ...whether the administration wants to make it tough on the taxpayers for political purposes (blame assignment) or not. 

For example, three miles from me is an unattended parking lot at the head of an unattended trail head into the 10,000 Islands National Wildlife Refuge.  No facilities, no brochure rack even that needs to be kept filled.  A parking lot!   It's nearest neighbor. besides our little subdivision, is an Indian airboat ride tourist stop and the next nearest neighbor is Collier Seminole State Park campground 6 miles away.  At the last shut down, this parking lot, one I see multiple times a week and at various times of the day and night, which has no ongoing or even periodic need for federal employee contact, received gates which were promptly chained and locked and our Federal government agency had a date specific large metal sign fabricated and posted telling the one or two cars that might come per day that this unattended no amenity parking lot was closed due to THE GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN.  More money spent on that parking lot in that short shut down period for chains, locks, signage or anything than is probably spent on it in a year.  And!!! this parking lot which rarely sees a taxpayer's car then received a frequent official US gov't car drive by and even sometimes a stationary federal agency car parked across the chained, padlocked gated driveway for emphasis.  Administration word was obviously passed down to agency heads and then down through the agencies to make the shut down as painful as possible.

I believe we have a more practical business oriented administration and in the event of a congress driven shut down, an equal amount of energy as last time will be spent by government agencies but this time in trying to keep stuff open and create a "soft landing' for taxpayers.  I may be wrong but it's my guess that foolish money will not be spent just to make some political point in making things as difficult as possible on the taxpayer owners of this government.

Then
The puller - Wiers Towmaster (Int'l 4700LP)
and pusher - 40' Travel Supreme

Now

30' Winnebago Aspect TS
Signs of my new life

I just read a post on another forum that Trump stated he will not shut down national parks.

On Edit:  I just found this:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/19/578985305/open-or-closed-heres-what-happens-in-a-partial-government-shutdown

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I guess I'll have to set a reminder to take a shower an hour before the deadline with my last token, and check the news at midnight EST, so I can bug out of here if the government will shut down.  Sure, there are six lanes for filling/dumping tanks, but I don't want to end up in line behind 100 people, or worse, FIND THEM LOCKED, and then end up in a traffic jam trying to 'Escapee', either.

I don't have high hopes for a reasonable federal solution, at the moment.  When (if?) that happens, the roads are gonna be flooded with RVs.

https://www.doi.gov/shutdown

https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/files/2018_01_blm_contingency_plan.pdf

Campgrounds, boat ramps, and other recreation sites will be open. However, all facilities will be
operationally shut down and posted accordingly, restrooms locked, and water systems shut
down. Consistent with other Federal recreation providers, occupied sites would be given 48
hours’ notice that services including water, electricity, restrooms and visitors centers will be
turned off and closed. Operational shutdown activities for the sites would be completed within
the 48 hour period. Visitors may remain at these sites at their sole risk.

OK, maybe I panicked a bit.  So they're not going to run everyone out of every campground.  Just lock everything up.  So the big empty 'dry camping' sites shouldn't be affected, this time around... other than fresh water and dump and trash might be padlocked.

avan i respect your right to your view but believe it to be mostly wrong based on my experience and everything I have read and seen.  And do you understand that everyone that will be deemed essential personnel including the military, fbi, etc. but not Congress and Senate will be required to work at no pay until it it resolved and then they will eventually get all that is owed them.  Almost all or maybe even all furloughed employees usually end up get all the pay they would have earned.   This is all politcal brinksmanship on-------both sides----- to gain leverage and fodder to use against each other at another time like in the election period.

8 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Sorry. I don’t watch the news much anymore. Exactly when is this shut down supposed to happen?

The shutdown started at midnight last night...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

An easy way to keep up with the news is News from the Associated Press.  Mostly text based, so no huge numbers of pictures to download. In 10 minutes or less you get a quick review of the national and world news.  You get an extensive list of news topics with a brief description of the topic.  Pick and choose which one interests you. 

No reason that I can see to not keep up with general info about what is happening in the country and world. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Is anyone in one of the LTVA's, in a national park, or a COE campground? It would be very nice to know what has happened thus far?

I'm in LaPosa West LTVA (BLM at Quartzsite) and no one has stopped by to tell me to leave!

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

16 minutes ago, vermilye said:

I'm in LaPosa West LTVA (BLM at Quartzsite) and no one has stopped by to tell me to leave!

Is there even STAFF to tell anyone?  A government shut down means no one is working.  So who would kick you out????

We were "victims" of the 2013 shutdown.  After 20 years of working our small business without a real vacation, we decided to take a trip to Utah and spend 3 weeks off.  We left just as the shutdown was announced.  We had planned to go to Boulder City and stay 1 night on our way, but ended up there for 8 nights due to parks closed.  It was a nice family owned park and we enjoyed it but didnt get to enjoy Bryce/Zion like we intended.  That being said, we didnt see a box on our tax returns to mark for a larger deduction based on losing our vacation so we had the pay ALL the taxes that the government required.  Which is what we have done for 40+ years.  There's got to be a better way.

Marcel

There seems to be major confusion on this shut down so far. Usually agencies will be given some advance directives on how to procee IF the shut down happens. From what I see and hear none of this has happened this time at least so far. In a lot of agencies the full effect may not start to be felt unitl Monday.  Given the nature of some being geared toward week end  recreation some of that may be felt sooner based on what peronnel are deemed essential. Some can be essential for a shorter specified time and some for the full period if it goes on.  I was reading last night that up to 80-90% of the IRS would be furloughed which will not be good for the majority of taxpayers or employees since as much as we grouse about the IRS it is needed to collect the funds required to run the country including defense and safety aspects.  AND AGAIN the ones working will have to work for no pay until it is resolved.   As I recall one of my senators had something to do with the last one so I think I will vote against him this time aroundl

We are at La Posa Tyson Wash and a neighbor just posted that the check in kiosks will be closed shortly, but people are still welcome to come in.  As far as I know the water and dump stations will remain open.

Update:  The water and dump station at La Posa South are now closed.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

16 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Sorry. I don’t watch the news much anymore. Exactly when is this shut down supposed to happen?

I don’t watch the “fear” oops I mean news on purpose either....

maybe we could police our own trash for a few days?

Will aliens like me have to leave for a bike ride down Baja California till this blows over?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 minute ago, noteven said:

I don’t watch the “fear” oops I mean news on purpose either....

maybe we could police our own trash for a few days?

Will aliens like me have to leave for a bike ride down Baja California till this blows over?

Draw straws see who the new dump hauler

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

5 hours ago, vermilye said:

3 hours ago, pjstough said:

We are at La Posa Tyson Wash and a neighbor just posted that the check in kiosks will be closed shortly, 

Update:  The water and dump station at La Posa South are now closed.

That is the sort of information I was seeking and that we need.  Speculation really doesn't help a great deal.....

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

That is the sort of information I was seeking and that we need.  Speculation really doesn't help a great deal.....

Latest update for La Posa South.

"Update at 4:45 pm.  Saturday    Dump  and water open near  RVForum  spot.
Reported by Terry who took a drive by  to check status."

11 hours ago, pjstough said:

Latest update for La Posa South.

"Update at 4:45 pm.  Saturday    Dump  and water open near  RVForum  spot.
Reported by Terry who took a drive by  to check status."

I have no idea where the "RVForum spot" is.  As far as I know -- and from our experience staying at La Posa South -- there is only one area that has the dump and water (and also where the trash dumpsters are). 

So you're saying that the dump and water ARE open?  Or has everything been padlocked?

We're at Pilot Knob LTVA west of Yuma.  We have not been asked to leave.  There is no dump or water here, but there are trash dumpsters.  We have not been by the dumpsters since the shutdown, so I don't know if they've been padlocked or not at this point.  We'll find out later today since we do have trash to dump.  I'll report back.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I really hope not for everyone at any site nationwide because in my experience many will just leave there garbage piled up on top and around if they can get anywhere near it. Then of course it gets torn into and scattered.  In some forest depending on location there is problem with folks filling the cans and piling up around them with home trash so they don't have to pay for pick up or take it to an authorized disposal location.  A majority of folks will try to do it right but enough won't to seriously spread it.

4 hours ago, LindaH said:

I have no idea where the "RVForum spot" is.  As far as I know -- and from our experience staying at La Posa South -- there is only one area that has the dump and water (and also where the trash dumpsters are). 

So you're saying that the dump and water ARE open?  Or has everything been padlocked?

We're at Pilot Knob LTVA west of Yuma.  We have not been asked to leave.  There is no dump or water here, but there are trash dumpsters.  We have not been by the dumpsters since the shutdown, so I don't know if they've been padlocked or not at this point.  We'll find out later today since we do have trash to dump.  I'll report back.

As of 12:20PM, on Sunday, 1/21, both the water fill & dump stations at La Posa South are open.  (There were 17 RVs in line for the dump).  

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

1 hour ago, vermilye said:

As of 12:20PM, on Sunday, 1/21, both the water fill & dump stations at La Posa South are open.  (There were 17 RVs in line for the dump).  

The dump station and water station at La Posa South will close at 11:00 AM Monday January 22 If there is no change is status of the shutdown.

Archived