Eternabond or lap sealant or something else

remoandiris

The factory tape used to cover the screw heads on the outside edge of the roof of one SLIDE is wearing thin on a few of the screw heads.  The screws are NOT backing out, it is just the tape wearing, I guess due to rubbing during movement.  

To reinforce the tape, I am considering Eternabond or lap sealant over the screw heads.  Are there other options?

I have used lap sealant for that sort of protection but I think that it too would wear off if it rubs frequently. That may also be true of the tape products. A good sealant would probably be more easily repaired/replaced than most tapes. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

15 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

I have used lap sealant for that sort of protection but I think that it too would wear off if it rubs frequently. That may also be true of the tape products. A good sealant would probably be more easily repaired/replaced than most tapes. 

I was thinking the same thing, just like sealant around skylights and such on the roof of the coach...either scrape the old off or just use a caulking gun to apply more on top every few years.

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

A good sealant would probably be more easily repaired/replaced than most tapes. 

I used EternaCaulk sealant on the edges of EternaBond tape that I put down. I'm currently replacing the tape that I laid 5 years ago as the Southwest sun has been brutal on the tape. However, the caulk is as strong as ever. It's the strongest sealant I've used, but it isn't self-leveling like Dicor.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

14 hours ago, 57becky said:

How long does it take for the EternaCaulk to set up hard, so it can be used on a slide roof and not deform when pulling in the slides?

Not sure. If you can wait a couple of weeks, then I should know.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 1/11/2018 at 9:20 PM, 57becky said:

How long does it take for the EternaCaulk to set up hard, so it can be used on a slide roof and not deform when pulling in the slides?

Just used some . . . it takes 24 hours to get tacky and 1 week to cure.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thank you.  I also need to replace some Eternabond tape on the top of a couple slides and have not had a lot of success with the tape alone.  I think using the Eternacaulk around all the edges will secure the tape from peeling up when the slide is operated, especially when it is very hot outside.

4 minutes ago, 57becky said:

Thank you.  I also need to replace some Eternabond tape on the top of a couple slides and have not had a lot of success with the tape alone.  I think using the Eternacaulk around all the edges will secure the tape from peeling up when the slide is operated, especially when it is very hot outside.

I put a bead of EternaCaulk on both sides of the tape. Then use a plastic spatula to smooth out the beads.

www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Archived