I have the Jackalopee, the Hayes controller and I am terrified.

mr. cob

I guess see what everyone here thinks.  It is 2/0 cable fused for 300A, which would feed a 1800W PSW inverter/charger that you would buy nowadays if yours ever dies.  That way you just plug in the new inverter and don't have to go through all the wiring again.  The fuse PDM gives a 2nd 300A circuit that you'd use for something high amp on the bed you build, or trailer charging or something - just insert fuse, hook it on the lug and go.  You could probably save $ by going with a $30 single megafuse holder and going to 2ga wiring and cheaper smaller 3/8 passthrus if you make the wires just for the inverter you currently have I suppose.  Not sure the best way to go.  Either way you have to buy wire and make cables, but you found some pre made cables then the crimp-ons, shrink tube, and half the list would all go away.

My Jackalopee feeding harness (actually just a Peterbilt body harness) ends up with two extra spare circuits and a dash warning light circuit so the junction box would land those in a box right next to the Jackalopee.  Then it'd be ready for lights, etc at bed building time - again just hook it to a lug and go.  Without it I guess you could just coil up the harness and not install the spare circuit fuses.  The blue wire you only need to get enough to go from the brake controller to the firewall connector.  My harness takes care of the rest.

There's many ways to go when wiring stuff!  I'll give you a call here in a couple hours.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Scrap said:

I guess see what everyone here thinks.  It is 2/0 cable fused for 300A, which would feed a 1800W PSW inverter/charger that you would buy nowadays if yours ever dies.  That way you just plug in the new inverter and don't have to go through all the wiring again.  The fuse PDM gives a 2nd 300A circuit that you'd use for something high amp on the bed you build, or trailer charging or something - just insert fuse, hook it on the lug and go.  You could probably save $ by going with a $30 single megafuse holder and going to 2ga wiring and cheaper smaller 3/8 passthrus if you make the wires just for the inverter you currently have I suppose.  Not sure the best way to go.  Either way you have to buy wire and make cables, but you found some pre made cables then the crimp-ons, shrink tube, and half the list would all go away.

My Jackalopee feeding harness (actually just a Peterbilt body harness) ends up with two extra spare circuits and a dash warning light circuit so the junction box would land those in a box right next to the Jackalopee.  Then it'd be ready for lights, etc at bed building time - again just hook it to a lug and go.  Without it I guess you could just coil up the harness and not install the spare circuit fuses.  The blue wire you only need to get enough to go from the brake controller to the firewall connector.  My harness takes care of the rest.

There's many ways to go when wiring stuff!  I'll give you a call here in a couple hours.

Howdy Brian,

I have tried all day long to contact someone at the Cab Power place, can't get anyone on the phone, have left a message three times, no one has called me back so I don't know how one would buy one of their units even if you wanted one.

I did some research on my inverter today, from the looks of it I "assumed" it was new it was installed but after calling the folks who make it I found out that it was discontinued over 10 years ago.  That being the case even thou it works now I don't want to use it and am now interested in a inverter-charger and would like to get a price on the Cab Power Plus, but can't find one anywhere or where it is sold, can only find their web site.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

F-em Dave and buy this kit and you don't need them anymore.  It is exactly what we need.  (I'm serious actually...buy it quick!)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phillips-15AMP-Truck-Cab-AC-Shore-Power-Cable-Set-241806-40-FL10-350-with-Outlet/372081778235?hash=item56a1cd5e3b:g:kXoAAOSwGx1Zwcze&vxp=mtr

Take a look into the Eaton inverter.  It is factory on most all trucks now and charges as well.  I'll call KWNW about it tomorrow as it'll have the truck-plugs to fit the Phillips above.  Or there is this generic one:

http://www.connectorconcepts.com/1218acinwiba.html

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/80144/EATON-s-Bussmann-Series-12-110-1800-B4-True-Sine/

A good video to watch

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/aftermarket/true-sine-wave-inverter/index.htm#tabs-5?playlistVideoId=3787490952001

There is also the Xantrex Freedom HFS inverter that competes with the Eaton Bussman but is a bit more $.

Regarding maxi-fuse holders, All Electronics has them for 5.75 each, they dovetail together.    I have some fuses, I could send you a couple?    Look on All Electronics web site they have an eclectic mix of stuff at great prices.

https://www.allelectronics.com

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Dave, you're very fortunate to Scrap helping you. For a kid still in diapers, he really knows his stuff.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

10 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Regarding maxi-fuse holders, All Electronics has them for 5.75 each, they dovetail together.    I have some fuses, I could send you a couple?    Look on All Electronics web site they have an eclectic mix of stuff at great prices.

https://www.allelectronics.com

Steve

Howdy Steve,

Thank you very much for your generous offer to send some fuses I appreciate it.  Brian has given me a "shopping list" that includes everything we will need to complete this project included in that list are fuses and fuse holders so I have that covered.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Dave, you're very fortunate to Scrap helping you. For a kid still in diapers, he really knows his stuff.

Howdy rickeieio,

I have yet to actually meet with Brian so I can't offer an opinion as to his wearing of diapers, but he sure seems to know his $hit. ;)  And YES I am very fortunate that he has taken pity on my sorry arse and allowed himself to be talked into ramrodding this project.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Mr. Cob, you can rest assured you are in good hands. Without Brian, my truck wouldn't have made it out of the factory. With his help, it turned out to be a superb RV and one that always draws compliments.

Howdy GH,

As this progresses once the work starts I'll be posting lots of photos so all ya all can see what we come up with.  I am sure Brian will do a great job that'll do the ole Pete proud.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Mr. Cob, you can rest assured you are in good hands. Without Brian, my truck wouldn't have made it out of the factory. With his help, it turned out to be a superb RV and one that always draws compliments.

Yeah, when you show up at least one thing gets complimented!  (Twerking, huh).

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Yeah, when you show up at least one thing gets complimented!  (Twerking, huh).

Gotta admit, I had to google " twerkng".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 minutes ago, Mntom said:

Tweaking or twerking? I would almost even pay to see Mr Cob twerking!!!!!:wacko::huh::D

Howdy Tom,

I readily admit to being, "Semi Sane", tweakin or twerkin ain't my style, to old and set in my ways for that stuff.:rolleyes:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Bringing this thread back on topic, I just ordered the plug and play shore power and in the sleeper 110 out let kit that Brian posted a link to, tomorrow I'll confirm which inverter I'll order and get that done. 

Man I am starting to have quite a pile of parts in the inventory to get this truck all wired and plumbed.  BIG pile of boxes sitting in the living room, won't be long before Donna suggests that it gets moved, then I'll fall back on my standard answer, "Yes Dear".  Drives her nuts when I do that. <_<:lol::wub:

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

Just got off the phone, ordered a 1,800 watt pure sine wave, inverter-charger, so in a few days when it and the shore power-out let kit gets here the living room floor is going to be FULL of boxes.  Oh, when I bought the Pete it had just had three new batteries installed in it, so today I bought a forth battery to fill the battery box, give a bit more umph for starting and have a bit of extra juice when using the inverter.  My Freightliner has four batteries in it, I like that setup.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Usually, batteries like to be the same. Add a new one to an old bank is OK for a truck application with easy load, it is not ideal for a good house (trailer) power setup. Just my opinion.  

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

23 minutes ago, Padraic said:

Usually, batteries like to be the same. Add a new one to an old bank is OK for a truck application with easy load, it is not ideal for a good house (trailer) power setup. Just my opinion.  

Howdy Padraic,

I agree, the 3 batteries now in the Pete, are 6 weeks old, I am adding the 4th battery its the same brand, same part number, I don't foresee a problem as these are starting batteries for the truck with a very light OCCASIONAL load when I use the inverter.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks guys above.  So the inverter location will kind of solve itself once you get the outlet harness in hand.  Between outlet lengths and shore power cord floor grommet and length it'll probably only fit a few ways.  There is an 8ft extension or two that you might need to buy if it doesn't work out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Amp-Orange-Truck-Cab-AC-Shore-Power-Cable-Phillips-241806-Class-40-FL10-540/162729729684?epid=1849816587&hash=item25e3729e94:g:YEkAAOSwpdpVbfHR

Also you need to go down to Western Peterbilt and get the shore power plug bracket:

https://peterbiltparts.com/ac-cooling-systems/cooling-system/engine-block-heaters-accessories/860-6048

I'll get to figgerin some battery cables.

Howdy All,

This project has now "evolved" to where when the Jackalopee and the brake controller are installed we will also be installing an inverter-charger and some 110 outlets in the sleeper.

Trying to find a good place to install the inverter is turning into a real project, the dimensions of the inverter rounded up to the nearest whole number are 18 inches long, 9 inches wide, 5 inches high, that's a pretty big chunk of space when you add in the need for wire clearance and air circulation.

The battery box is located on the drivers side of the cab and is used as steps for cab entry.  The sleeper heating unit is mounted under the bunk on the drivers side just in front of the pass through storage area, so no good place to install the inverter close to the battery box.  Under the bunk on the passenger side, in front of the pass through storage area is a good place to mount the inverter but it will take 9 maybe 12 feet of cable between the batteries and the inverter, that's a LONG ways to run 12 volt cable unless it's an inch thick which is pretty impractical.

In the area on the passenger side where there is room to place the inverter, there is another unit of some sort, I have no clue what this is, it almost looks like it might be a speaker box, it looks factory but I can't see any reason for speakers to be mounted in such a weird place. Here's a couple of photos of the unit one with a tape measure in the open space to provide scale so a person can envision the inverter being mounted there.

IMG_2740-L.jpg

IMG_2742-L.jpg

If anyone knows what this unit is, please inform me of its purpose, thanks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

It looks like a base speaker cube.... maybe home made?  

Howdy A&J,

That's what it looks like for sure, I guess one way to find out is to turn UP the tunes and see if any sound comes out of the thing.  I know as much about sound systems as I do anything else electrical, I just assumed if it were speakers it would be mounted someplace where the sound would go into or be directed into the car-sleeper area not into the storage area under the bunk. 

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

It does look like a homemade ported subwoofer.  Unscrew one of those “muff” covers and if there is a speaker, you have your answer.  The holes would be the ports that allow the low frequency sounds bouncing around  in the box to get out.  BTW subwoofers are meant to be “felt” in your gut more than heard by the ears.  That’s why they are often mounted under seats or in the trunks of cars.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Dave,

It does look like a homemade ported subwoofer.  Unscrew one of those “muff” covers and if there is a speaker, you have your answer.  The holes would be the ports that allow the low frequency sounds bouncing around  in the box to get out.  BTW subwoofers are meant to be “felt” in your gut more than heard by the ears.  That’s why they are often mounted under seats or in the trunks of cars.

Howdy SS,

Tomorrow I'll throw a CD with some heavy bass in the CD player, crank it up open the storage door and give a listen, I know this truck has quite a few regular speakers in it so maybe this is some kind of subwoofer thingamabob.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived