Mac the Fire Guy ?

gypsydan

I talked with Mac. He is incredibly sick, having since last Oct had a heart attack, been diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis, + other stuff, and will be having major shoulder surgery next week for torn rotator cuff.  This is all due to his 20 years of working with dry powder fire retardant at his shows, so he will no longer be doing any presentations. 

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I'm sorry to hear Mac is so sick. He's a good guy who helped many of us be safer in our RVs. We would not have known what kind and how many fire extinguishers to buy without him. 

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Mac,

If you are reading this thanks for everything and your time years ago when I started fulltiming. I still have your foam refillable in my workshop.

I doubt anyone will take over since the demos are what gave him his illnesses. Mac saved a lot of lives I'm sure. I hope he can recover.

Maybe Mac can direct a video and present it on YouTube for profit and to keep his expertise available.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Maybe Mac can direct a video and present it on YouTube for profit and to keep his expertise available.

Mac already has a video which is shown at bootcamp when he is not there.  He has said we can put it on our website. I will talk with the powers-that-be during the Q event to have them contact Mac to formalize its use.

It is sad to have someone who was such a help in the RV community have to leave, but it happens.  I wonder if there anyone else in the RV community who does Fire Prevention?

Edited by gypsydan
grammer

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

There are LOTS of retired Fire Folks out there.....but whether they want to do that is another issue.

Jack Mayer on the HDT forum may know someone - or - ask him who does the presentations at the HDT rally(s).....it may be Jack.

Mac - if you see this....thanks for your years of service, as a "FireGuy" and as a source of reliable  information & help to/for the RV community!

(Me = ret. 30 yr paid "FireGuy" - don't know Mac personally, but his info was *ALWAYS*  "right-on"!!)

Hang in there Mac!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

• 1 year later...

Our friends, Mac & Annie McCoy are no longer giving fire demonstrations. Mac had some serious cardiac problems and retired over a year ago. He sold his business and is no longer involved. He is a good guy and deserves his rest. Annie is still selling her clothing creations at local fairs. Similar updated products and popular Fire Safety Seminars are available from An RVer's Friend at major RV rallies. 

• 1 month later...

So sorry to hear about Mac's health problems. I hope he's getting better.

I just discovered his Fire Safety video using the "RV Escape Ladder." I'm a brand new RV owner, so it's not like I've been living in a closet or anything :-) I'm trying to identify the manufacturer of the escape ladder with the 'window hanger things'. Does anyone have that information? Know where I can buy one?

Thanks,
David R

8 hours ago, DavidRansier said:

Does anyone have that information? Know where I can buy one?

Welcome to the Escapee forums! A great deal of the ladder issue is dependant upon what type of RV you have and the distance from the ground your escape window is. Here is an article on ladder modification by RV Living website that may be helpful.  Amazon also has a selection of escape ladders available. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I doubt I would spend time finding and setting up a ladder. Go out a window above a dresser (which is where bedroom emergency exits usually are) feet first and belly down then drop to the ground. It's not very far to drop and you don't waste any time getting ready to leave. RVs burn FAST!

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapee forums! A great deal of the ladder issue is dependant upon what type of RV you have and the distance from the ground your escape window is. Here is an article on ladder modification by RV Living website that may be helpful.  Amazon also has a selection of escape ladders available. 

Thanks, Kirk, but Mac the Fire Guy’s video showed a specific ladder that I liked a lot. His website is no longer active and I was hoping someone might have information about that ladder. The options available through Amazon are not nearly as useful. Mac’s ladder was very stable and quick to deploy, unlike the rope-type that are available on Amazon.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to kick this thread but just saw it.  I have all the stuff Mac has, so my sympathy is profound.  Has anyone started a business selling particular fire extinguishers Mac sold?  One of the above posts said Mac sold his business.  To whom?

2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38'

425 Cummins, 4 slides, tag

2014 4-dr Jeep Rubicon

• 5 months later...

Hello. I know this is an old thread be we, My RV School, has been selling, installing, and teaching thenprogram that Mac was. We always had a fire prevention program and we were a good fit to continue what Mac started. 

Please reach out for questions, to book us for classes at you event or rally, or to purchase fire suppression products. 

Jeff Gaston

My RV School

855-697-8123

• 7 months later...