Hot Shot Diesel Additive

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

The other day is was talking to Roger (hewhoknowslittle) over the phone about getting the truck deck ready for a Smart car or a utv. The subject came up about Hot Shot Diesel products. I understand that Roger found out about the Hot Shot products from Jim (Jim and Alie). I also understand that some people feel that these after market products are just snake oil. For the guys that use Hot Shot diesel products, what do you think ? There is a product to treat your oil called Hot Shot Diesel Secret Stiction  Eliminator, any thoughts on this product ? How about FR3 oil treatment ?

Looking forward to any thoughts,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

The stiction eliminator is geared towards 6.0 and 7.3l diesels with a HOPIP. Not really necessary for normal engines. I typically dont put anything in my oil. I buy good oil off the shelf and roll with it.

I do use additives more or less in the fuel. Increasing lubricity especially with these newer common rain engines that run 20,000+PSI Injection Pumps is never a bad idea. And a little more cetane don't hurt any either. One thing to note on the cetane rating thou. This are large displacement low RPM engines, so they don't see the same benefit to a higher rating. As would a smaller higher RPM engine like a Power stroke or Duramax.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Al,

RandyA had a lengthy thread about additives and stiction several months ago.  Will see if I can find and attach.  It will give you some answers.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

for my powerstroke, I use ArchOil additive in the winter. I ain't no scientist, but without Archoil in the cold, the remote start will not get the truck running, I have to leave the glow plugs on for two-three cycles. With the additive, it fires right up at 5 degrees. Also, it "sounds" smoother idling and isn't as powerstroky "rattling" sounding. How's that for scientific testing analysis?

I just added some to the DW's escape two days ago as it was sounding rough idling. Sounds smoother and I got 1 mpg better on the data display in my trip to/from Tampa. Did it help? No clue, but sounds better. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Al, With the Cummins engine in our Volvo, it has always had valve train noise, more than other M-11 engines I've heard.  Even after having the head run, it was still "Rattling".  So while having the rear brakes done awhile back at a friends repair shop in eastern NC, he had several empty containers of the anti-stiction fluid.  He swore that in their Cummins powered trucks that hauled logs on a daily basis, that the engines ran smoother, at a lower temp, and quieter.  Alright, change the oil and add some.  

Our Cummins is noticeably quieter and pulls better on long grades.  I've had Speedco change the oil and drove it to whatever park we are at, pour the gallon in, and crank it.  It runs smoother.  

For the fuel treatment part, I've used it, but I don't have definitive proof of better mileage because we have moved between areas of diesel that is pretreated with additives for winter blends and summer blends.  I came south from North Dakota with #1 diesel and got crappy mileage. When that 1500 miles was over, we filled at a Kroger that I later realized had a B-10 blend. That was in Tx, crappy mileage as well. 

I do add Power Service every other tank just to help keep internals clean.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I generally believe fuel and oil additives are indeed snake oil.  Stuff like Slick 50 and STP were classic a rip-off.  I was steered toward the Hot Shot products by a friend that runs HDT trucks for a living. I bought both the oil additive and the fuel additive about 5,000 miles ago.  I have not changed oil so I have no analysis data yet.  But, I have become a believer in this particular product and now use their EDT (Every Day Treatment) fuel additive on a regular basis.  My fuel mileage improved, engine runs smoother and I know the injectors are very clean after having to replace one due to an electrical failure.  Other products may be snake oil - I can't say for sure one way or the other - but the Hot Shot products definitely helped my 830,000-mile engine.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

20 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Al,

RandyA had a lengthy thread about additives and stiction several months ago.  Will see if I can find and attach.  It will give you some answers.

Hi Carl,

Thank you for posting the link to Randy's thread. I have started my reading of this thread.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived