Alternative to Winegard Rayzar

On 1/4/2018 at 8:47 PM, TheLongWayHome said:

We are looking for an alternative to the Winegard Rayzar ( http://www.winegard.com/rayzarauto ) Auto (OTA - Over The Air) antenna. Looking for a lower profile in the travel configuration - 4" or less. The Rayzar is 7".

Why are you looking for a lower profile antenna?  I would think that your A/C unit is much taller is taller then 7 inches.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

You are not going to find an automatic solution. The Winegard Sensor IV is considered the best RV antenna but it is manual. You have to crank the antenna up and then manually rotate it toward the TV transmitter site.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

On 1/4/2018 at 8:47 PM, TheLongWayHome said:

We are looking for an alternative to the Winegard Rayzar .

I'm also have interest in responses. With the old crank up I could always find a tv station but the Rayzar don't seem to work more than more than 40 miles or 60 miles line of sight. The first Rayzar had a motor failure shortly after I purchased the RV. The second Rayzar will find stations but only near the Ghetto's.

Clay     2016 DRV MS 38PS3 

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

To get a better signal you need two things.....height and more metal in the air.

The best antenna on the market for RVs is the Winguard Sensar IV.  

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ha . We're in the Arizona desert , about an hour away from Phoenix . Our 18 year old Wingard , with a little addition , gets us a 54 channel list . And , it's laying flat on the roof . Granted not all those channels come in until I raise the mast . 

HPIM0002.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

Thanks for all the inputs. That was what I'm afraid of - no automated solution and just a hand crank. Can't use a hand crank in our design - too tall and can't use in the bedroom.

On 1/6/2018 at 12:08 AM, rynosback said:

Why are you looking for a lower profile antenna?  I would think that your A/C unit is much taller is taller then 7 inches.

Actually no A/C units on the roof!!

9 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Thanks for all the inputs. That was what I'm afraid of - no automated solution and just a hand crank. Can't use a hand crank in our design - too tall and can't use in the bedroom.

Actually no A/C units on the roof!!

Hmmm, and you do not have a skylight or fans with are with out covers?

13 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

Can't use a hand crank in our design - too tall and can't use in the bedroom.

Looks like a step stool will be needed.

Tom
—————————————————
Minneapolis, MN

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Or , a simple extended crank that he could lean in a corner . 

That would work for cranking the antenna up and down but you also need something to rotate it. This requires pulling down on the outer ring and then rotating the ring. Perhaps there would be a market for such a device.

hqdefault.jpg

Tom
—————————————————
Minneapolis, MN

On 1/10/2018 at 10:04 AM, Tom_M said:

That would work for cranking the antenna up and down but you also need something to rotate it. This requires pulling down on the outer ring and then rotating the ring. Perhaps there would be a market for such a device.

hqdefault.jpg

A heavy duty extended reach tool might do the job ?

51gW4Qh-49L._SL1320_.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

12 hours ago, rynosback said:

Hmmm, and you do not have a skylight or fans with are with out covers?

And no skylights or roof fans!!!  That is why I was stating the 4" limit while traveling. Any venting will be side exhaust or 4" or less on the roof. This is a custom build. Air conditioning and exchange are done with mini-splits with the condensers in the basement!!! Not your average 5th wheel! 

11 hours ago, TheLongWayHome said:

And no skylights or roof fans!!!  That is why I was stating the 4" limit while traveling. Any venting will be side exhaust or 4" or less on the roof. This is a custom build. Air conditioning and exchange are done with mini-splits with the condensers in the basement!!! Not your average 5th wheel! 

Sweet!!!!  Sounds like an awesome 5th wheel!!!!  If you are staying at places for good period of times.  You could have the 3 mounting brackets and the cable installed on the roof.  Then when you get to where you are going place the Razer on the mounts and screw in the cable.  It might be more work then you want, but it solves your  dilemma!

Archived