Metric v. American

rickeieio

Metric v. American  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use on your bed an/or tie downs?

• Metric
    • 'Murican

Since the rest of the truck is metric, I'm leaning towards using metric fasteners on my chocks/tie downs.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Tractor Supply doesn't sell metric in their "by the pound" nut and bolt bin.  Any new bolt on my truck is SAE grade 2, 5 or 8 depending on location.  SAE cost less and availability is much better.  I carry both metric and SAE wrenches and sockets in my tool boxes.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

7 hours ago, noteven said:

you cannot divide metric by three. So there

You assume I can divide in the first place.  Heck, at my age, it's not safe to multiply either.

I have a metric assortment in the shop, so it's just a matter of  reaching in the appropriate bins.  I have a limited space for tools, so am thinking that since both bikes, the car, and the truck are metric, I might as well stay with that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

SAE - for the reasons Randy stated.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Heck, live large & go Whitworth....

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

8 hours ago, adept99 said:

Heck, live large & go Whitworth....

Wouldn't the truck start leaking oil and the lights would stop working?:o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I was killing time once, wandering through a large well know store while waiting on the (then) wife. It was a large store that most are familiar with. I don't want to give them any negative press but their initials are K-Mart.

As I walked down the cheap tool aisle I observed a wrench labeled as "Crescent Wrench". On the peg right next to it was the same wrench labeled "Metric Crescent Wrench".

I spent days wondering how many Aggies (I'm in Texas..aggie jokes are still politically correct, aren't they?) bought one of each, not knowing which one they needed. Later I began to wish I was the marketing genius that figured out how to sell more Crescent Wrenches. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

12 minutes ago, Big5er said:

I was killing time once, wandering through a large well know store while waiting on the (then) wife. It was a large store that most are familiar with. I don't want to give them any negative press but their initials are K-Mart.

As I walked down the cheap tool aisle I observed a wrench labeled as "Crescent Wrench". On the peg right next to it was the same wrench labeled "Metric Crescent Wrench".

I spent days wondering how many Aggies (I'm in Texas..aggie jokes are still politically correct, aren't they?) bought one of each, not knowing which one they needed. Later I began to wish I was the marketing genius that figured out how to sell more Crescent Wrenches. 

Metric wrenches are left hand thread

Imperial wrenches are right hand thread

........:D

2011 Cameo 34SB3

On 1/7/2018 at 10:43 AM, Big5er said:

Phil, the marketing guys actually had the factory mark a scale on the wrenches for a while. One was marked in inches on the frame and the movable jaw had a reference mark to line up with the scale to get you close to the size you needed. The SAE wrench did the same except it was marked in sixteenth's of an inch.

That went well for sales until someone asked why they didn't put metric on one side and SAE on the other side.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Ok Phil. I’m an Aggie so be careful where you tread. I know where you live😜

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived